NFL's Top Defensive Coordinator Might Not Coach - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL's Top Defensive Coordinator Might Not Coach

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL's Top Defensive Coordinator Might Not Coach

Postby joejlitz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:18 am

Jim Johnson (PHL), widely considered one of the best (if not the best) defensive coordinator in the NFL over the last 10 years, is still recovering from his cancer treatments. Sean McDermott may lead the defensive calls this year if Johnson decides not to come back. This could have severe repurcussions on the Eagles defense from play calling, to experience, to leadership. Not to mention that could affect the unit's DST fantasy value as well. Here's hoping JJ comes back soon!

Multiple team sources have indicated that Sean McDermott will remain the Eagles' defensive coordinator during training camp at Lehigh University while Jim Johnson continues his battle against melanoma, which was discovered during the team's playoff run in January.

Based on the Eagles' defensive accomplishments during Johnson's 10 seasons in Philadelphia, McDermott, the 35-year-old graduate of La Salle High School, has monumental shoes to fill.

"There is going to be a different perspective about the Eagles' defense," said Troy Vincent, the former Eagles cornerback who played for five seasons under Johnson. "It's the same thing in Tampa Bay now that Monte Kiffin is gone. If you don't think him leaving changes the way people feel about that defense, then you're fooling yourself. You're talking about the two people who have been the most consistent defensive coordinators over the last decade. As an offensive coordinator, you have to think, 'Let me see what McDermott is going to do. I know he comes from the same system, but let's see if he's going to call the same game.' "

Rest of Article:
McDermott - Philadelphia Daily News
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL's Top Defensive Coordinator Might Not Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:49 am

Simply from a non-football point of view, I hope he's able to recover fully whether that be in time for this season or not. Melanoma, or any form of cancer for that matter, treatment can take a huge toll on your body. I wish for the best for JJ as he battles this very important fight.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk