Better year in 09: Ochocinco or TJ Housh? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Better year in 09: Ochocinco or TJ Housh?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Better year in 09: Ochocinco or TJ Housh?

Postby mattUTD20 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:41 am

TJ Howshmazode...championship!
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:43 pm

mattb47 wrote:You can choose to look at how Palmer has performed however you want by writing things off but it's no accident that he has thrown 24 INTs in 20 games since his knee surgery after 25 in his previous 2 full seasons. So in those 2 years he threw 1 INT every 41.2 attempts...since the surgery? 1 INT every 29.3 attempts. I'm sorry...but you can't attribute all his shortcomings to a bad situation and laud him for the pieces of statistics that look good. He has actually been sacked significantly LESS since returning from his injury than he did prior...before his injury he was sacked 1.8 times per game, afterwards just 1.4 times per game. He has struggled significantly since his return in his efficiency, accuracy, and the most important statistic for a QB...wins. You can't just throw out statement like that which don't make sense and don't align with how things have actually gone.

Actually you guys are a year behind. Palmer's knee was shredded in a Jan 2006 game against the Steelers. His first year back from the injury (2006 football seaon) he was pretty stellar, 4,000 yards, 28TDs/13picks. I'd say the knee really has nothing to do with it. I can give a guy a pass on one bad year. Last year was over too soon to draw any conclusions.

I do agree with your observation though that COC (I like it) is quite inconsistent. I recall having him in 2006 when he absolutely blew until back to back games where he put up over 30 in each game and immediately vaulted to something like a top 5 fantasy receiver. 2007 was the same thing. He scored 8 TDs but in 4 games. He had 10 games with 8 fantasy points or less in standard leagues. He was fine if you were playing rotisserie style but in H2H he killed you 2 well 3 years in a row now. Housh should be more consistent.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Azrael wrote:
mattb47 wrote:You can choose to look at how Palmer has performed however you want by writing things off but it's no accident that he has thrown 24 INTs in 20 games since his knee surgery after 25 in his previous 2 full seasons. So in those 2 years he threw 1 INT every 41.2 attempts...since the surgery? 1 INT every 29.3 attempts. I'm sorry...but you can't attribute all his shortcomings to a bad situation and laud him for the pieces of statistics that look good. He has actually been sacked significantly LESS since returning from his injury than he did prior...before his injury he was sacked 1.8 times per game, afterwards just 1.4 times per game. He has struggled significantly since his return in his efficiency, accuracy, and the most important statistic for a QB...wins. You can't just throw out statement like that which don't make sense and don't align with how things have actually gone.

Actually you guys are a year behind. Palmer's knee was shredded in a Jan 2006 game against the Steelers. His first year back from the injury (2006 football seaon) he was pretty stellar, 4,000 yards, 28TDs/13picks. I'd say the knee really has nothing to do with it. I can give a guy a pass on one bad year. Last year was over too soon to draw any conclusions.

I do agree with your observation though that COC (I like it) is quite inconsistent. I recall having him in 2006 when he absolutely blew until back to back games where he put up over 30 in each game and immediately vaulted to something like a top 5 fantasy receiver. 2007 was the same thing. He scored 8 TDs but in 4 games. He had 10 games with 8 fantasy points or less in standard leagues. He was fine if you were playing rotisserie style but in H2H he killed you 2 well 3 years in a row now. Housh should be more consistent.

Also remember that Chad Johnson was on average a 2nd round pick in his heyday. The guy killed you more so because he was drafted to not only be a WR1, but a true stud WR1 and he dissappointed in the majority of weeks. This year the guy is getting drafted round 5, potentially as a #3 WR. The situation reminds me a lot of Darrell Jackson back in the day. This is another guy who was extremely variable from game to game, but extremely consistent from year to year as Seattle's #1. I personally didn't downgrade the guy that much due to inconsistency because I am of the opinion that a bad week from a WR#2 won't kill you, but a good week from a WR#2 can often times win matchups for you. The average WR#2 or WR#3 isn't going to score TDS in more than 5 or 6 games anyways, might as well take the steady 7 or 8 points a week if Ocho lives up to his potential with two or three weekly winners thrown in there for you when he blows up. Blow up potential is rare in WRs and a good week 16 game out of the game could win championships this year out of the WR#2 slot.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Ochocinco Wants to Fight Andre Berto

Postby joejlitz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:16 am

After convincing most of us that finally figured out how to concentrate on football and turn in a great fantasy season in 2009, we get this:
Ochocinco braggadocio

RECEIVER CHAD OCHOCINCO won't be attempting extra points anymore now that the Bengals have signed rookie kicker Sam Swank, of Wake Forest.
But that doesn't mean he doesn't want to kick butt.

According to a report on Deadspin.com, Ochocinco wants to square off against WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto. The two started out jawing at one another, and the feud has intensified.

The player formerly known as Chad Johnson told the Web site he has a message for those who don't think he's tough enough.

"So when I get in the ring and knock out Berto, and people are like, 'I didn't know Chad could fight.' I just told you."

Berto doesn't seem terribly concerned.

"I'm here to say that when his season is over, which should be before the playoffs start, I'll give him the beating of his life and show him the difference between kicking footballs and getting your [butt] kicked. By the time I'm done with him, he'll want to change his last name to No Mas!"

If the fight ever happens, we predict 85 will be eighty-sixed.

Philadelphia Daily News
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby henra1155 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:32 am

Oh boy this is great just when we thought COC was actually gona be a fantasy starter again

This would be worse than Johnny Knoxville VS. Butterbean
henra1155
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 am

I think it will be pretty close with Housh getting more receptions and Tds but Chad accumulating more yardage. I'm not a big fan of the Seattle offense this year so I'd probably take Ochocinco between the two.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PuntinFool » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 am

Well, unlike those earlier years Chad no longer has Housh across from him. Instead, it's the wonderfully underperforming L.Coles. Unless the offensive line in Cincinnati has vastly improved, I still don't like Chad's chances to get the ball enough to make him a raging success. Housh doesn't have a great WR setup either (Branch, Obomanu), so it looks like a toss up.

However, perhaps the telltale winner of this battle is to look at their respective divisions. Housh will be going up against the Cardinals, 49ers and Rams. Only the Cardinals finished within the top 15 of passing defense last year, and that was as #14. The Bengals, on the other hand, face the Ravens, Steelers and Browns. Two of those three are known to be great defenses year in and year out (even if Pittsburgh wasn't so hot with their pass defense). The Browns actually finished 9th last year in defense, so though they'll get run on they're pretty good handling receivers and errant quarterbacks.

If defenses perform like they did last year, which can't be depended on too much, then Housh will have the more successful year. You'll at least be willing to start him more, anyway.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk