What Strategy do you use at pick 12? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What Strategy do you use at pick 12?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What Strategy do you use at pick 12?

Postby biju » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:01 pm

LeBron James wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:1. Steve Slaton versus Ryan Grant?
2. Randy Moss versus Wes Welker?

Bigger gap at 1 or 2?

Yeah, I see a big gap at 2. Give me Moss and Grant over Slaton and Welker.

Again, the problem is that I suspect neither Grant nor Welker are going to be available at the end of the 3rd round. In a recent Cafe PPR mock Ryan Grant went 3.02 and Wes Welker went 3.04. So really you're more likely talking about

1. DeAngelo Williams and Terrell Owens
2. Andre Johnson and Chris Wells

Personally I'd go with #1. Here's the link to the mock: viewtopic.php?t=436376
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benb18a » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Yeah, plus you have to take into account that this is the FFCafe, where you pretty much have to take a RB's ADP on the Calculator, and subtract two rounds, and that is where they are going to go :-b

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby LeBron James » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 pm

Timbathia wrote:
LeBron James wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
1. Steve Slaton versus Ryan Grant?

Bigger gap at 1 or 2?

Last year that would have been a horribly wrong decision.

Yeah, good point, but I was talking about this year. Things would be better if I had a crystal ball. :-)
Last edited by LeBron James on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LeBron James » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:12 pm

biju wrote:
LeBron James wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:1. Steve Slaton versus Ryan Grant?

Bigger gap at 1 or 2?

Again, the problem is that I suspect neither Grant nor Welker are going to be available at the end of the 3rd round. In a recent Cafe PPR mock Ryan Grant went 3.02 and Wes Welker went 3.04. So really you're more likely talking about

Hey like I said, we can both plug in names to make us look good, but all I'm saying is I would prefer 2 WRs over 2 RBs. If you prefer 2 RBs, then go for it. No matter what names I personally plug in, I just always come back to the 2 WR thing.

But you know I enjoy these kind of debates cause it just makes me more well-rounded. I take everything into account, even people I disagree with, so yeah, I see where you're coming from.
Last edited by LeBron James on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LeBron James » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:16 pm

benb18a wrote:Yeah, plus you have to take into account that this is the FFCafe, where you pretty much have to take a RB's ADP on the Calculator, and subtract two rounds, and that is where they are going to go :-b

Yeah, I know these Cafer's know their thing, that's why I wouldn't join one of these drafts. :-b
But the drafts where I play, there are some idiots I can count on to mess up some picks.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby biju » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:20 pm

LeBron James wrote:
biju wrote:
LeBron James wrote:

Hey like I said, we can both plug in names to make us look good, but all I'm saying is I would prefer 2 WRs over 2 RBs. If you prefer 2 RBs, then go for it. No matter what names I personally plug in, I just always come back to the 2 WR thing.

I'm not plugging in names merely to make myself look good, I'm going by what would have been available in that mock. I gave the link so if there are other guys you'd prefer to plug in you could.

I agree that it's personal tastes, but the discussion came at the roots of VBD and which had a larger dropoff between the turns. If you project there is a greater dropoff from Andre Johnson to Terrell Owens as opposed to DeAngelo Williams to Chris Wells (of course, given the current available data) then that's how you should do it. My projections--even with an expected dropoff in TDs by D-Will--still favor the RB side of this.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LeBron James » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:29 pm

biju wrote:
LeBron James wrote:
biju wrote:

I'm not plugging in names merely to make myself look good, I'm going by what would have been available in that mock. I gave the link so if there are other guys you'd prefer to plug in you could.

I agree that it's personal tastes, but the discussion came at the roots of VBD and which had a larger dropoff between the turns. If you project there is a greater dropoff from Andre Johnson to Terrell Owens as opposed to DeAngelo Williams to Chris Wells (of course, given the current available data) then that's how you should do it. My projections--even with an expected dropoff in TDs by D-Will--still favor the RB side of this.

Yeah, from that mock what you're saying is right. I'm just saying every mock is different is all. And Cafer's, like I said, know their stuff more than the average fantasy player. I was just checking out the fantasyfootballcalculater.com mocks.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby biju » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:43 pm

LeBron James wrote:Yeah, from that mock what you're saying is right. I'm just saying every mock is different is all. And Cafer's, like I said, know their stuff more than the average fantasy player. I was just checking out the fantasyfootballcalculater.com mocks.

I really liked the idea of fantasyfootballcalculator.com that first year it came out. The problem is that there are too many people trying out "theories". Some are drafting for PPR, some aren't. Others say they don't use kickers, or don't need to draft a TE in their leagues. It skews the results so much that it makes the end of the draft meaningless. You end up with 4 teams trying to go WR/WR in the first two rounds instead of reading the flow of the draft and adjusting their strategy accordingly.

You're correct that Cafe mocks tend to be a little tougher than many "regular" drafts, but the variance isn't too far off. At least, not enough to decide they aren't a good measure of what you might encounter.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LeBron James » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:21 pm

biju wrote:
LeBron James wrote:Yeah, from that mock what you're saying is right. I'm just saying every mock is different is all. And Cafer's, like I said, know their stuff more than the average fantasy player. I was just checking out the fantasyfootballcalculater.com mocks.

I really liked the idea of fantasyfootballcalculator.com that first year it came out. The problem is that there are too many people trying out "theories". Some are drafting for PPR, some aren't. Others say they don't use kickers, or don't need to draft a TE in their leagues. It skews the results so much that it makes the end of the draft meaningless. You end up with 4 teams trying to go WR/WR in the first two rounds instead of reading the flow of the draft and adjusting their strategy accordingly.

You're correct that Cafe mocks tend to be a little tougher than many "regular" drafts, but the variance isn't too far off. At least, not enough to decide they aren't a good measure of what you might encounter.

Yeah, that makes sense. Those public mocks might not be the best barometers. But anyways, if I get a late pick in some of my drafts, I will try out the 2 WRs theory, see how it goes. If it goes great, I will report back, if not, you won't hear from me again. :-D
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Does anyone have any further thoughts on the 12 spot? I'm thinking of pairing Moss and Brady. Would this be crazy? I'm not thrilled about the RB's at that spot so I might also go with WR/WR.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk