Training camp battles you will be watching closely thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Training camp battles you will be watching closely thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Training camp battles you will be watching closely thread

Postby petedog9 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 am

I thought it would be interesting to post up position battles that you will have an eye on as the preseason progresses to solidify your late round sleepers / gems...

Two that I am watching...
INDY:
I will be watching to see who emerges as the #3 WR in Indy. They always tend to put up decent numbers. Word now is that Pierre Garcon has the inside track but there is competition from Hall for the spot.

Baltimore:
Who gets the rock as the RB in B-More
Last edited by petedog9 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Traing camp battles you will be watching closely thread

Postby biju » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm extremely curious to see how Seattle uses Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. In two wide sets I assume that Housh is going to play flanker and in 3-wide sets he'll probably come in and play slot in certain cases (depending on 1st down distance). But there isn't a solid grasp on who will line up opposite of Housh in those 2-wide sets. It would seem that Burleson is better suited to lengthen the field as he's more deep-friendly and Branch is more of a T.J.-lite in this offense.

Also, while I wouldn't necessarily call it a battle, I'm interested in how Seattle will use Justin Forsett as Knapp has mentioned a rotation. For that matter, with a similar build I would think Devin Moore has to be in the picture as well because what he lacks in experience he gains in sheer speed.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:33 pm

I will be watching to see who emerges as the #3 WR in Indy. They always tend to put up decent numbers. Word now is that Pierre Garcon has the inside track but there is competition from Hall for the spot.

I've been reading all along that Garcon is favourite, Austin Collie is pushing him close and Hall is a distant third.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikus » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

iamgregg wrote:

I've been reading all along that Garcon is favourite, Austin Collie is pushing him close and Hall is a distant third.

Yeah I would not overlook Collie. Very productive in college albeit at BYU. He seems like a good fit for that offense.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:44 pm

A few battles I'll be watching:

Cleveland Browns- James Harrison vs. James Davis for the backup RB job. I have a feeling Jamal Lewis is nearly finished, and the winner of this battle becomes a very nice late sleeper pick.

Oakland Raiders- DHB/Johnnie Lee Higgins/Schilens. I think the winner (mayeb top 2) will be nice picks at WR this year. They are all fast guys who can make big plays. I really like Schilens as well as Higgins, especially if he's returining kicks or punts again this year...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:09 pm

biju wrote:I'm extremely curious to see how Seattle uses Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. In two wide sets I assume that Housh is going to play flanker and in 3-wide sets he'll probably come in and play slot in certain cases (depending on 1st down distance). But there isn't a solid grasp on who will line up opposite of Housh in those 2-wide sets. It would seem that Burleson is better suited to lengthen the field as he's more deep-friendly and Branch is more of a T.J.-lite in this offense.

Also, while I wouldn't necessarily call it a battle, I'm interested in how Seattle will use Justin Forsett as Knapp has mentioned a rotation. For that matter, with a similar build I would think Devin Moore has to be in the picture as well because what he lacks in experience he gains in sheer speed.

I've been hearing that Branch is nowhere near 100% on his knee. You've been hearing different? I think he might be done for the career. I'm pretty sure I've read reports that say he is a borderline bench WR and might even have to fight to line up in 3 WR sets (especially if they start splitting Carlson out like they said they will).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby biju » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
biju wrote:I'm extremely curious to see how Seattle uses Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. In two wide sets I assume that Housh is going to play flanker and in 3-wide sets he'll probably come in and play slot in certain cases (depending on 1st down distance). But there isn't a solid grasp on who will line up opposite of Housh in those 2-wide sets. It would seem that Burleson is better suited to lengthen the field as he's more deep-friendly and Branch is more of a T.J.-lite in this offense.

I've been hearing that Branch is nowhere near 100% on his knee. You've been hearing different? I think he might be done for the career. I'm pretty sure I've read reports that say he is a borderline bench WR and might even have to fight to line up in 3 WR sets (especially if they start splitting Carlson out like they said they will).

The bits I've been hearing (and they aren't too common) is that while his knee is fine he doesn't have--and may never again have--the same mobility he did before. For someone like him who basically relies on being quick that could be a real problem.

But I haven't seen any local reports that his knee is bad, just that he's overpriced for being what will amount to a 2nd stringer who fits in ok in 3 and 4 wide sets.

I'll continue to look though, because if he's healthy I actually think he can put up decent numbers. The problem is he's never healthy. But even if you're correct I don't see us dropping him outright not even a full year removed from our WR woes of 2008.

And yes, I keep hearing about Carlson going out wide as well. I'm thinking about going out to a practice to see what I can get from that...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Timbathia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Not sure if it is exactly a battle as it may be the mother of all RBBCs, but I am very interested to see how McDaniels intends to use Buckhalter, Moreno, Jordan and Hillis.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moose_ffc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 pm

The Denver RBs interests me a great deal.
I want to see what happens with the Baltimore RBs. I was more than a little disappointed with Ray Rice in 2008.
Tampa Bay RB battle could be a nice duel between Graham and Ward.
New Orleans WR heath is a very important thing to gage. Colston AND Lance Moore are both coming off of surgery. I want to know how that situation will shake out.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Timbathia wrote:Not sure if it is exactly a battle as it may be the mother of all RBBCs, but I am very interested to see how McDaniels intends to use Buckhalter, Moreno, Jordan and Hillis.

Probably the one I'm most interested in. Moreno should be the main guy of the 3. But I believe Buckhalter will be right on Moreno's heels for touches.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk