Training camp battles you will be watching closely thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Training camp battles you will be watching closely thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Traing camp battles you will be watching closely thread

Postby dgan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:51 pm

All of those are good - I don't think anyone mentioned the Jets RB situation. I'm VERY interested in that, because there will be a 2500+ total yards gained by that backfield. Who will get the biggest workload, who will get the goal line carries, and does Leon's role expand to encroach on the others? My guess is that Shonne Greene becomes very productive midseason (top 10 production in the latter half is possible), but I'd like him to start out getting close to equal time with Jones and Washington. If he isn't getting the reps in camp, then I'll probably cool on him.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby justinj312 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 am

Timbathia wrote:Not sure if it is exactly a battle as it may be the mother of all RBBCs, but I am very interested to see how McDaniels intends to use Buckhalter, Moreno, Jordan and Hillis.

Reminds me of a joke: Who is the best DEN RB?
Answer: the one available on the ww

I have stopped drafting DEN rbs for 3 years now, and have been a happier man ever since.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 am

justinj312 wrote:
Timbathia wrote:Not sure if it is exactly a battle as it may be the mother of all RBBCs, but I am very interested to see how McDaniels intends to use Buckhalter, Moreno, Jordan and Hillis.

Reminds me of a joke: Who is the best DEN RB?
Answer: the one available on the ww

I have stopped drafting DEN rbs for 3 years now, and have been a happier man ever since.

I don't think we can totally write that situation off as an undeterminable RBBC. First forget the history cause Shanahan is gone. I think McDaniels probably would have liked to have been able to make Maroney a feature back but he's disappointed and been injured the last 2 years so the RBBC has ensued the last 2 years. If I were to guess, I'd say Moreno would be the main guy with Buckhalter or Jordan backing up, Jordan possibly getting goal line duties, and Hillis not really factoring in much at all fantasy wise.

I'm following the daily camp blog on Ravens.com to see how McGahee and Rice are doing.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby petedog9 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:41 am

Another RB battle I want t keep an eye on is the one in Pittsburgh. If FWP is still getting the bulk of the carries, he becomes a nice value for where he is being drafted. I am curious to see how they disperse the carries between FWP and Mendenhall with Moore taking 3rd down duties.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Stelly » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Baltimore RBs - who's going to get what between Rice/McGahee/McLain

Pitt RBs - how Mendenhall performs, and how many carries, if a significant amount, he steals from FWP

NYG #2 RB - not only who will be the second half of the RBBC (likely Bradshaw), but who will replace Jacobs if he gets hurt. Does Bradshaw just step up and get more carries, or will A. Brown or Ware fill Jacobs role while Bradshaw's remains similar (like last season when Ward replaced Jacobs).
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Stelly wrote:
NYG #2 RB - not only who will be the second half of the RBBC (likely Bradshaw), but who will replace Jacobs if he gets hurt. Does Bradshaw just step up and get more carries, or will A. Brown or Ware fill Jacobs role while Bradshaw's remains similar (like last season when Ward replaced Jacobs).

I would be surprised if Bradshaw stepped in as the backup. Both Brown and Ware are more like Ward than Bradshaw. Plus Brown has excellent hands. I've thought all along Andre Brown would replace Ward this year. A number of analysts thought Brown was a flat out steal by the Giants in the 4th.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Azrael wrote:
Stelly wrote:

I would be surprised if Bradshaw stepped in as the backup. Both Brown and Ware are more like Ward than Bradshaw. Plus Brown has excellent hands. I've thought all along Andre Brown would replace Ward this year. A number of analysts thought Brown was a flat out steal by the Giants in the 4th.

All the stuff I've read coming out the Giants camp have Bradshaw as the locked in #2 behind Jacobs. But if Jacobs goes down again, I think Bradshaw might get a quarter or two to prove whether or not he has it before they revert to a pure RBBC. Once the confidence is lost in Bradshaw being a featured RB replacement like Ward was (a likely outcome IMO), I think the guy goes back to being used as a change of pace, albeit they will get him more involved than he would be if it was Jacobs leading the pack.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby spodog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Although not a lot of these are fantasy relevant, there are a few QB battles to be sorted out:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=437576
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:19 pm

spodog wrote:Although not a lot of these are fantasy relevant, there are a few QB battles to be sorted out:

I am watching to see what happens in Tampa with the QB depth chart. I am still not sure what to do with A. Bryant. He put up great numbers with Garcia last year and even had a stellar game with Greise throwing him the rock. Do I rate him higher if Leftwich gets the nod as the starter? He has been solid in his performance last year when filling in for Ben. What do we do with him if Freeman becomes the starter?
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby spodog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:21 pm

petedog9 wrote:
spodog wrote:Although not a lot of these are fantasy relevant, there are a few QB battles to be sorted out:

I am watching to see what happens in Tampa with the QB depth chart. I am still not sure what to do with A. Bryant. He put up great numbers with Garcia last year and even had a stellar game with Greise throwing him the rock. Do I rate him higher if Leftwich gets the nod as the starter? He has been solid in his performance last year when filling in for Ben. What do we do with him if Freeman becomes the starter?

Great questions. I see him down about 10% from last years numbers with Leftwich as primary and down about 20% to 25% if they go with Freeman. Freeman won't stand in the pocket and find the 3rd or 4th receiver like Garcia is good at. Freeman is more inclined to tuck it in and take off ala Michael Vick.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk