Do you consider the OLine/Defense for RB rankings? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you consider the OLine/Defense for RB rankings?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you consider the OLine/Defense for RB rankings?

Postby kickureface » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:49 pm

for those who study hard before draft day, do you? im sure everyone else just follows ADP nearly to the tick.

a big part of the oline that retired, got injured, or left the team would drastically affect the holes created.

a shoddy defense will kill the possessions a rb can get (thinking haynesworth).
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do you consider the OLine/Defense for RB rankings?

Postby Azrael » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Short answer, yes. It's quite important to me.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Good o-lines and good RBs often go hand in hand, so you have to keep them in mind. But they should be built into any well constructed ranking. And ADP typically just reflects several of the more prominent site rankings.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kickureface » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:36 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Good o-lines and good RBs often go hand in hand, so you have to keep them in mind. But they should be built into any well constructed ranking. And ADP typically just reflects several of the more prominent site rankings.

can u explain the last sentence? i dont see how that is related

and i was meaning say off season some part of the Oline disappears for some reason. then the rb may not be so good anymore (jax last year)
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:59 pm

kickureface wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:Good o-lines and good RBs often go hand in hand, so you have to keep them in mind. But they should be built into any well constructed ranking. And ADP typically just reflects several of the more prominent site rankings.

can u explain the last sentence? i dont see how that is related

and i was meaning say off season some part of the Oline disappears for some reason. then the rb may not be so good anymore (jax last year)

O-line rankings are done following the off-season, not preceding it. Of course players will come and go, which is why you won't see new rankings immediately after the season is over. Any current o-line rankings will be based on the current players. Thus any current RB ranking would be done based on the line currently in from of them.

The last sentence is relevant because, like I said, any well constructed ranking of the RBs will have kept the o-line in mind. And ADP reflects the rankings of the main fantasy sites because they are what most fantasy drafters will base their draft decisions on.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:08 am

The additionson the o-line and the QB position in New York last year led to an increase in Thomas Jones' TD production to 15 from 2 the previous season.

O-line is a big part of what makes a RB successful. So is the QB. So is the offensive coordinator. And the defense. RB is really the only position in fantasy that relies on the entire team around him to make him a better player and put him in better situations to score fantasy points. Only the rare extremely talented players can make more with less but that is really limited to guys like Barry Sanders and Ladanian Tomlinson.

I look at the QB situation first and the o-line a close second for RBs. IF you spot a deficiency at either one of those categories you better have overwhelming positives coming from other factors such as scheme, overall team stability, WR talent, defense, division turnover, schedule, etc.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby fantasizing » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 am

Kensat30 wrote:The additionson the o-line and the QB position in New York last year led to an increase in Thomas Jones' TD production to 15 from 2 the previous season.

This is a classic example of how the O-line can affect a RB's perceived fantasy value. Almost everyone drafted Jones high last year as a result of this (& good QB).

Another great example was S. Alexander during his glory years in Seattle. He had a fantastic line and good passing offense around him, which helped him immensely. Without that supporting cast, I don't think he would have been nearly as successfull as he was.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:34 pm

fantasizing wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:The additionson the o-line and the QB position in New York last year led to an increase in Thomas Jones' TD production to 15 from 2 the previous season.

This is a classic example of how the O-line can affect a RB's perceived fantasy value. Almost everyone drafted Jones high last year as a result of this (& good QB).

This is incorrect. Thomas Jones had a very low ADP last year as people were NOT buying into the major upgrades at QB and o-line. I had Thomas Jones ranked right around RB15 last year and I remember distinctly that most people had him well below RB20. That was a big deal for me too, because I am well known around this board as calling Thomas Jones the most overrated RB of this generation.
It astounds me that this guy is still a starter over a guy like Leon Washington.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
fantasizing wrote:

This is incorrect. Thomas Jones had a very low ADP last year as people were NOT buying into the major upgrades at QB and o-line. I had Thomas Jones ranked right around RB15 last year and I remember distinctly that most people had him well below RB20. That was a big deal for me too, because I am well known around this board as calling Thomas Jones the most overrated RB of this generation.
It astounds me that this guy is still a starter over a guy like Leon Washington.

yeah i had him #23 on my RB Draft Board, but i had him pegged for a nice year and was doing my best to secure him as a late RB2/RB3
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kickureface » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:00 pm

brett favre leaving -> jones dropping in the rankings this year?

also where do you draw the line? NO has a terrific line and qb, but their RB's production arent too great
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk