Training Camp Updates 2009 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Training Camp Updates 2009

Moderator: Football Moderators

Training Camp Updates 2009

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:47 am

This seems to be a pretty popular thread here in the Lions forum that past few years, so here we go. Post any training camp relevent news (include topic and date as a larger font so it is easy to sort)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Training Camp Updates 2009

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:53 am

QBs Improved 8.2.2009

mlive wrote:When good offensive football teams run that drill, the ball is never supposed to hit the ground. The quarterback isn't facing a pass rush so he has all day to throw and he has a "clean'' launch point on every pass. There's just no reason to have an incompletion. The drill is largely about the play of the quarterback. While receivers can mishandle the ball or run a poor route, the effectiveness of the drill is usually related to the accuracy of the quarterback.

On Sunday, out of about 20 plays, the ball only hit the ground three times - not great, but much better than I've seen in recent years. Two passes were off target and one pass was dropped.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 am

Swartz teaching 8.2.2009

mlive wrote:The Detroit Lions closed their Sunday morning training camp practice with three two-minute drills. The offense failed to score on each drive, and when it was over, coach Jim Schwartz kept the players on the field for a long talk.

"There were some coaching points that came up in that, and I don't like to wait until we get off the field or wait until a meeting at night because it's a lot better to make (those points) right away," Schwartz said.

Schwartz said he wasn't upset with the lack of an offensive touchdown, because the cards were stacked against it.

I like that he addresses things right when they happen. Maybe some other coaches focus on those things during meetings. He seems really hands-on and knows what he wants. I continue to like him ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:39 pm

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... is_bi.html (full article)

Cohen Steps up on his 23rd birthday.
mlive wrote:Detroit Lions second-year defensive tackle Landon Cohen turned 23 today and he was excited to celebrate his birthday in a unique way. Cohen made himself the center of attention on several plays during the team's training camp workout today when he shoved offensive linemen into the backfield and disrupted plays.

The other day he did 50 reps of 225 on the bench and is up to 302 in weight... Hopefully this is not just an early show, we desperately need someone in the middle to step up and that's not even figuring in Jackson's 4 game suspension.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:16 pm

dream_017 wrote:Swartz teaching 8.2.2009

mlive wrote:The Detroit Lions closed their Sunday morning training camp practice with three two-minute drills. The offense failed to score on each drive, and when it was over, coach Jim Schwartz kept the players on the field for a long talk.

"There were some coaching points that came up in that, and I don't like to wait until we get off the field or wait until a meeting at night because it's a lot better to make (those points) right away," Schwartz said.

Schwartz said he wasn't upset with the lack of an offensive touchdown, because the cards were stacked against it.

I like that he addresses things right when they happen. Maybe some other coaches focus on those things during meetings. He seems really hands-on and knows what he wants. I continue to like him ;-D

You know I don't put a lot of stock in talk from Allen Park. If words were 1,000,000 for a penny the Lions would be millionaires. But I have don't hear much out of The Schwartz that I don't like. Not saying I believe, but that I want to believe again.
BTW, buddy who has a friend who was at the TC says that Stafford is the real deal. Gun for an arm, and very quick release. And on the non-news front: Megatron is an absolute beast with glue on his fingers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Oh, and Jenson is pissed that he was cut. I hope this brings out every thing this guy has left to offer. If he can even just spell our starters with quality minutes he would help greatly.
According to MLive
"You know, everybody hides behind the same quote, 'It's just part of the business.' Everybody can rationalize it if you call it business. That's just not true. There are people involved, families involved, a lot more involved than just business."
"I'm as good a player as I was five years ago and I'm going to prove that," said Jansen, who signed a one-year deal with his hometown Detroit Lions. "When the Redskins come to Detroit that third week, they'll see that's not the case."

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2009/08/more_time_needed_for_jon_janse.html

I love hearing a Lions player who may have something to offer other than words being upset. Maybe his fire with ignite the angry streak that made Cheerioes such a fav of ditch-digger NimRod.

BTW, how come whenever I make a sig, I cannot get it to fit full size?

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm

moochman wrote:

How are you doing it? what do you mean full size? the image is too large to make it as big as you'd like or...?

EDIT: Looking at it, it could be how you hosted it, It's odd that you can click on your sig and it takes you to your image shack page. Might have something to do with it, not sure though.
Last edited by RWLongy4 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm

The Lions' preseason debut will be on national tv (NFL network)

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id= ... nfirm=true
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:09 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
moochman wrote:

How are you doing it? what do you mean full size? the image is too large to make it as big as you'd like or...?

Well, whenever I try to make one that is 400 by 100 it says it is too big, over 222,800 somethings-pixles, bytes-dunno.
I use paint shop pro 8 when I make them. I have a XP system and so don't have photoshop for some reason. Microsoft sillyness, or my own ineptitude.

Love that the Lions first X-gaem will be on NFLnetwork live. Still be on a local broadcast with our slappy preseason announcers too, i bet.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Code: Select all
[img]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7384/lionhearts.jpg[/img]

Better?
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager