Training Camp Updates 2009 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Training Camp Updates 2009

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Training Camp Updates 2009

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks brother. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 pm

moochman wrote:Thanks brother. ;-D

anytime ;-D

EDIT: Also if you ever are making a sig and you want to send me the raw copy in whatever format i should be able to make it look higher quality. For some reason or another paint shop pro saves it bigger than need be because I did nothing but download the file and try and resave it before i resized it and it lost 2kbs...

Either way if you are bored/care you can hit up adobe.com for a 30 day free trial of photoshop cs4, pretty fun to mess with.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:42 pm

So to unhijack the thread:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... d_zon.html

It seems that our defense keeps winning these 7 on 7 drills which either means our D is spectacular or our offense is questionable (i have suspicions its the ladder)

I've watched brief clips of TC and you can't get much from it, I think I'll be attending saturday so I'll take short videos of plays on my blackberry and try and post them.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:49 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:So to unhijack the thread:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... d_zon.html

It seems that our defense keeps winning these 7 on 7 drills which either means our D is spectacular or our offense is questionable (i have suspicions its the ladder)

I've watched brief clips of TC and you can't get much from it, I think I'll be attending saturday so I'll take short videos of plays on my blackberry and try and post them.

At the very least a first hand account would be very welcome here. Darn GF bans me from such activity.

I wonder if our D seeming to be better is a reflection on The Schwartz's DC background? Or the F/As we picked up?
Or, lastly, that our O-line still blows?

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:27 am

In previous seasons, I think our D has always played pretty good in practice. So, with that assumption, I am going to say that the Offense is still not up to speed and the defense is either better or just better than the offense - I sure hope they are better overall :-o We also need to get the offense to not be, well, so offensive :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:29 pm

dream_017 wrote:In previous seasons, I think our D has always played pretty good in practice. So, with that assumption, I am going to say that the Offense is still not up to speed and the defense is either better or just better than the offense - I sure hope they are better overall :-o We also need to get the offense to not be, well, so offensive :-B

At least it looks as if we've got some tools in the shed. Megatron and K Smith look to be our present and future, and Pettigrew and Stafford our future. The line still sucks, but maybe The Schwartz will see what he needs by seasons end and build that in the future.
I am not saying that we have turned a corner, but I think we may have stopped all that damned blind digging!. :-D

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 am

moochman wrote:
dream_017 wrote:In previous seasons, I think our D has always played pretty good in practice. So, with that assumption, I am going to say that the Offense is still not up to speed and the defense is either better or just better than the offense - I sure hope they are better overall :-o We also need to get the offense to not be, well, so offensive :-B

At least it looks as if we've got some tools in the shed. Megatron and K Smith look to be our present and future, and Pettigrew and Stafford our future. The line still sucks, but maybe The Schwartz will see what he needs by seasons end and build that in the future.
I am not saying that we have turned a corner, but I think we may have stopped all that damned blind digging!. :-D

I agree. I think they have potential and it will take a while to gel. Throughout the season I see them getting better and better. It may be slow at first, especially with the rough start to the schedule, but I see them turning a few heads come mid-season
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Stafford v Culpepper 8.6.09

yahoo.com wrote: Julian Peterson dropped into coverage, watched the rookie quarterback go through his reads and prepared to pounce. One little tipoff from Matthew Stafford and the veteran linebacker would be off and running with a prolific interception during a full-team drill at Detroit Lions training camp Tuesday afternoon.

Peterson baited, and waited. Wideout Calvin Johnson had slipped behind him on a dig route, and he read Stafford’s eyes to see which way to break. Stafford, however, stared unblinkingly at the right sideline, causing Peterson to take a step to his left. As the ball zipped past the spot Peterson had just vacated and directly to Johnson, who had broken inside, Stafford was still looking to the phantom spot on the sideline.

What the … ?

“The kid threw a no-look pass,” Peterson recalled Wednesday, shaking his head. “I was shocked! Calvin just so happened to drop it – he was probably as surprised as I was – but Matt got it in there, man. As rookies go, he’s way ahead of the curve.”

Whether or not the NFL’s answer to Steve Nash is advanced enough to beat out veteran Daunte Culpepper(notes) for the Lions’ starting job is the most compelling question facing this struggling franchise, which is coming off the first 0-16 season in NFL history. After Matt Ryan (Falcons) and Joe Flacco (Ravens) stepped in as rookies to lead their lightly regarded teams to the playoffs in ’08, Stafford is a decent bet to continue the trend.

“There is no debating that everything about him has been very, very impressive,” says Jim Schwartz, the Lions’ rookie coach.

As the No. 1 overall pick, Stafford is supposed to be special, and his physical skills have been obvious to the most casual of observers. What has surprised his coaches and teammates is the way he has grasped the position’s responsibilities, from mastering the offensive terminology to projecting a cool and commanding presence on and off the practice field.

“He doesn’t even look like a rookie,” Johnson says of Stafford. “He picked up the playbook very quick; he’s a smart kid. He looks very, very comfortable out there.”

If he feels overwhelmed, Stafford certainly won’t cop to it. “I think I’m playing well,” he says. “Obviously, there are things I can get better at, and I’ve had some bad throws or bad reads here and there. But there hasn’t been a practice or a series of plays where I really feel out of it.”

Yet Culpepper, who made three Pro Bowls in his first five seasons as a starter, isn’t making Schwartz’s decision easy. The 6-foot-4 quarterback has dropped more than 30 pounds since the end of last season and now weighs in the 260 range, as he did during a near-MVP season for the Minnesota Vikings in 2004. Culpepper, says Schwartz, is “moving significantly better” than at any point since the devastating knee injury in ’05 that derailed the quarterback’s career.

“It just shows the dedication he has toward this team,” halfback Kevin Smith says. “We’ll get Culpepper going. He’s going to be very good for us. And if Matt plays, he’ll be good, too. What it should come down to is, let the best player play, and have the other one ready to step in if needed. It’s a good problem to have, and it’s a good battle right now.”

Reunited with former Vikes offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who now holds that same position in Detroit after a failed stint as the Rams’ head coach, Culpepper has also made a big impression on teammates and coaches. He and Stafford have been splitting first-team reps on a 50-50 basis in camp, and Schwartz insists no decision has been made as to who’ll start.

“We’re charting it about every way you can chart it,” Schwartz says. “We’re going to be objective. Obviously, Matthew is going to be our long-term quarterback, but two things have to happen for him to win the job now: One, he has to be our best quarterback, and two, he has to be ready. When he jumps over both of those hurdles, he’ll be the guy. But for us to go into this process with our mind already made up doesn’t make any sense. We need to see them compete.”

I really hope he is as good as people are saying and writting.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 pm

I read that article a little bit ago and I couldn't help smile when I read that about the no look pass. He's got all the tools it seems... I'm to the point that I won't be a believer til i see it in a game.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 pm

DeVries + Achilles = out for season. MLivehttp://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/08/lions_lose_jared_devries_for_e.html

The Lions paper machette D-Line just got a little more transparent with the season-ending Achilles tendon injury suffered by Jared DeVries.
The Detroit Lions' worst fears were confirmed as veteran defensive end Jared DeVries suffered a season-ending injury to Achilles' tendon today at practice.
DeVries was expected to be the starting left defensive end when the regular season opened.

%-6 :-t :-P :-t :-{ :-t
We must continue to pay in full for Matt Millen's total ineptitude and the Lions penchant for changing coaches and philosophies more often than Dream changes his underware. This is a big loss for the Lions as DeVries was one of the better D-linemen we had. A hint of that old familiar odor starts wafting into Ford Field. Lets hope there is enough breeze from a Matt Stafford spiral to dry it up and blow it away.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions