Training Camp Updates 2009 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Training Camp Updates 2009

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Training Camp Updates 2009

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 pm

We signed Shaun Smith who was cut from the browns and played DE/NT. From what I heard he is more suited to be a space filler DT in the 4-3 than a DE in the 3-4. He has had character issues but said he was very impressed with Schwartz and Gunner and really wants to be here so hopefully that will change.

I think this move along with the DeVries injury will have Avril and White starting on opposite sides, (which is how I thought it should have been originally) but I think this will also allow Alama-Francis to get his majority of reps at DE. Either way I think the lions need to look at what their differences in money with Kevin Carter was and make something happen.

Here is the Shaun Smith article, 1 year 1 mil.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _deal.html
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 am

RWLongy4 wrote:We signed Shaun Smith who was cut from the browns and played DE/NT. From what I heard he is more suited to be a space filler DT in the 4-3 than a DE in the 3-4. He has had character issues but said he was very impressed with Schwartz and Gunner and really wants to be here so hopefully that will change.

I think this move along with the DeVries injury will have Avril and White starting on opposite sides, (which is how I thought it should have been originally) but I think this will also allow Alama-Francis to get his majority of reps at DE. Either way I think the lions need to look at what their differences in money with Kevin Carter was and make something happen.

So, do ya think Reggie Bush is going to have any luck running with Avril, 5-0 (Francis), and White on the ends? The Schwartz had better have one keck of a system or game one could take a lot of steam out of the Lions balloon

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:56 pm

moochman wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:We signed Shaun Smith who was cut from the browns and played DE/NT. From what I heard he is more suited to be a space filler DT in the 4-3 than a DE in the 3-4. He has had character issues but said he was very impressed with Schwartz and Gunner and really wants to be here so hopefully that will change.

So, do ya think Reggie Bush is going to have any luck running with Avril, 5-0 (Francis), and White on the ends? The Schwartz had better have one keck of a system or game one could take a lot of steam out of the Lions balloon

Agreed. I think in general we are screwed with out D-Line, though I do think Avril has his upside. I think we need to look to sign Carter or someone soon. To be honest I'm more worried about between the tackles guys like ADP than Reggie. Our poor D-Line will make our "solid" linebacking corps look terrible pretty quick.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Do we have a solid LB corps?
An underachieving Simms.
A guy from the Stillers who they didn't want.
A guy from the SeaHacks that we traded Redding for.
While I really hope that we can get the best of the mileage out of the tread left on their well-worn tires, it may be too much to ask of Sims, Peterson, and Foote to make-up for the deficiencies the make-up the rest of the D.

Bear in mind, I am really hopful for The Schwartz and our Lions. I just can't buy in without seeing the product when it counts.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Meh, I don't agree with your assessment, Foote was ousted by the Steelers more because they had a young up and comer (Timmons) who they were paying a bunch of money only to split time with Foote. Peterson is a pro-bowl pass rusher that while on his last years of quality football still has 1 or 2 left in the tank. Sims has only underachieved (specifically last year) because he was really the only talent on the whole defense last year and tried to do too much rather than just take care of his assignments.

I also think we have a solid corps of young guys behind them in Levy, Follett, and Dizon. Perfect opportunity for them to learn from guys who have been around the block and actually played for teams with a winning record.

As I said though, a solid linebacking corps will look terrible really quick if our D-Line can't do it's job. I think on paper our starting 4 could be Avril, Smith, Jackson, White wouldn't be all bad but the depth at DE and DT is atrocious and full of people that haven't done squat (i.e. cohen, francis, hill)
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:34 am

RWLongy4 wrote:Sims has only underachieved (specifically last year) because he was really the only talent on the whole defense last year and tried to do too much rather than just take care of his assignments.

I agree, he was asked to play a way that was not his style (you know, Nimrod tried to make square pegs fit into round holes). I heard an interview the other day where Sims(at least I think it was him - could have been another LB) was taking about how with Schwartz, you don't worry about gaps, if an opposing player is not in your gap, then you hit him into a gap. I really think this defense is going to be better - which should take a little more pressure off of our offense. I am really looking forward to the game this weekend(although I will not be able to make it down to FF)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 am

8.12.2009 Shaun Rogers wants back in

yahoo.com wrote:Defensive lineman Shaun Smith was released by the Cleveland Browns on Saturday and signed with the Detroit Lions on Monday. And he's apparently happy to spill some dirty laundry about his former team.

Smith probably got his old teammate, nose tackle Shaun Rogers(notes), one of the team's defensive stars, into trouble when he spouted off on Tuesday about how his "best friend" Rogers wants to be traded back to Detroit, where he played for the first seven years of his career before being traded to the Browns early in 2008.

Not so sure I would like this. Although we may need help on the D-line and Rogers was a decent player for us, I'm not fond of the baggage that comes with him.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 pm

dream_017 wrote:8.12.2009 Shaun Rogers wants back in

yahoo.com wrote:Defensive lineman Shaun Smith was released by the Cleveland Browns on Saturday and signed with the Detroit Lions on Monday. And he's apparently happy to spill some dirty laundry about his former team.

Smith probably got his old teammate, nose tackle Shaun Rogers(notes), one of the team's defensive stars, into trouble when he spouted off on Tuesday about how his "best friend" Rogers wants to be traded back to Detroit, where he played for the first seven years of his career before being traded to the Browns early in 2008.

Not so sure I would like this. Although we may need help on the D-line and Rogers was a decent player for us, I'm not fond of the baggage that comes with him.

I would be happy to have him back but I doubt the browns are willing to cough him up for cheap.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49 pm

pass...he's a lazy malcontent. also, i could see us passing on some stud DT in next years draft because we ave Rogers (assuming he isnt a FA at the end of the year)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

pass...he's a lazy malcontent. also, i could see us passing on some stud DT in next years draft because we ave Rogers (assuming he isnt a FA at the end of the year)

Smith you mean? And yeah I think he really could have a breakout year in the 4-3. I think he fits our system much better. ;-D Hopefully with the addition of Smith we can ditch that bum Darby. :-b ;-D
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions