Whatever happened to RB/RB/RB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Whatever happened to RB/RB/RB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Whatever happened to RB/RB/RB?

Postby mr. aztec » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 pm

I recall that in 2005, it was quite common to see expert mocks where a couple owners would go RB/RB/RB in first three rounds. It don't see this anymore. I suspect it dropped off the face of the earth the year when some experts were suggesting taking Manning #1 (I think in 2006) and the subsequent move to RBBC (perceived or otherwise).

I'm curious if anyone is seeing RB/RB/RB in mocks or in thier drafts this year. Or if anyone saw it successfull last year. I'm seeing so many QBs and WR, even TE! go off the board early, that if I went RB/RB and a stud RB fell to me in the third round, I would have a hard time not biting. Does whether or not the league is flex affect this topic? Anyways, just wanted to get some thought on a subject that seems so rare to see these days.

As an aside, I belive there is some research done that while the consensus is that the league is moving to RBBC, the stats don't back it up. I don't want to debate whether this is true, but I'm sure its an importing point of contention when analyzing the RB/RB/RB draft approach.
mr. aztec
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Whatever happened to RB/RB/RB?

Postby Purple1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:28 pm

My brother went RB/RB/RB last year and finnshed with the best record and highest points in our $league.

Perterson/Lynch/Larry Johnson(big bust last year LOL)....

He didn't intend to do it but at the time he felt LJ was a great value in the 3rd round.

He did well in the mid-late rounds(Boldin/Rogers) which helped him more than the RB/RB/RB in rounds 1-3.

I'm a firm believer that any strategy will work simply because what you do in rounds 1-3 dosent matter nearly as much as the mid to late rounds.

But having Peterson and Lynch didn't hurt him either.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:54 pm

If the value is their at RB, I'd go RB RB RB. But if I don't see a RB whose value is worth it in round three, I'm going to pass it up and go for the best valued player.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:52 pm

It's all about perceived value. When you get up to pick in the 3rd round and you've went RB/RB with the first two picks...if you don't see a RB that you really like above the rest available, then why choose him there? Say there are 5 or 6 guys who you like pretty similarly, why not grab a WR you really like instead at that point? That's what goes through people's minds in drafts at points like that...I think that if a RB they really liked fell to the 3rd then they might do it but since there are a bunch of backs that are having their value in the 4th-5th rounds, it really negates the necessity of doing so.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:12 pm

it really depends on the league IMO...in leagues that start 2 RB 3 WR or PPR leagues that allow 2-3 RBs and 3-4 WR you'll see a lot more people focus on WR. also, more and more teams are employing RBBC so there is less of a drop between the 24th RB and 36th RB as there has been in years past
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 pm

In a competitive league with 2 RB and a flex RB/WR, I will go RB, RB, RB every time. I have one league like this and I won it 2 years ago and lost in the championship game last year.

If your league is a little weaker, you can let the 3rd RB slide because they will let something fall to you in the 4th or 5th round. In another league I picked up Forte last year in the 5th. One of the owners asked who that player was. I had to roll my eyes. I am not playing in that league anymore. I need better competition.

ANYWAY. RB/RB/RB is a solid approach if you can start 3, but I wouldn't recommend it in 2RB leagues. It can be successful, but it isn't recommended.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:49 pm

I think Dan hit the nail on the head here. The increasing popularity of RBBC is what has lessened the need to stack up on RBs early and often. This year there are only a handful of RBs who are true full time RBs and once you get past them, the picture gets very murky. A few years ago, it was a long shot at best that a RB drafted in the 5th round or later would out produce RBs drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but this year I could see it happening a relatively large percentage of the time. And even if the RB drafted in the 5th doesn't out produce the RB drafted in the 2nd, if that 5th round RB can stay within a point or two per game to the 2nd round RB, then the relative value of that 5th round RB is greater than the 2nd round RB. And by taking the 5th round RB, you open up your draft to take a WR/QB/TE much earlier than you may have a few seasons ago.

This year, I would be surprised to see me end up with three RBs by the end of the 3rd whereas no more than three years ago, I could almost guarantee that my first three picks were RBs. This is actually the first year that I am very strongly considering going WR/WR or WR/QB in a start 2QB league with a late draft pick and we can start up to 3 RBs with the flex spot.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Gotta agree with Smack and Dan. The RBBC and the increased instability at RB has led to lost value after the first 20 picks. The use of RBBC also has led to any RB starting slow, save a precious few studs, losing carries very early in the season if there is a fall off in production. So taking a third RB in the 3rd rnd is far riskier than a star WR or even a super-stud QB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mr. aztec » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:25 am

smackthefirst wrote:I think Dan hit the nail on the head here. The increasing popularity of RBBC is what has lessened the need to stack up on RBs early and often. This year there are only a handful of RBs who are true full time RBs and once you get past them, the picture gets very murky. A few years ago, it was a long shot at best that a RB drafted in the 5th round or later would out produce RBs drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but this year I could see it happening a relatively large percentage of the time. And even if the RB drafted in the 5th doesn't out produce the RB drafted in the 2nd, if that 5th round RB can stay within a point or two per game to the 2nd round RB, then the relative value of that 5th round RB is greater than the 2nd round RB. And by taking the 5th round RB, you open up your draft to take a WR/QB/TE much earlier than you may have a few seasons ago.

This year, I would be surprised to see me end up with three RBs by the end of the 3rd whereas no more than three years ago, I could almost guarantee that my first three picks were RBs. This is actually the first year that I am very strongly considering going WR/WR or WR/QB in a start 2QB league with a late draft pick and we can start up to 3 RBs with the flex spot.

Interesting, one of my leagues is was a 2QB league, but now its 1 QB with a QB/RB/WR/TE Flex. In this league, RB puts up a bit higher points on average. I am thinking of going some combination of 2RB/2QB in first 4 rounds. I think your WR/WR in first 3 rounds is suicide in a 2 QB league, let someone else make that mistake.
mr. aztec
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:45 am

my big money league every year has 14 teams and 2 Rbs w a RB/WR flex...so RBs are a must. i always go w 3 Rbs and always do well.

i usually end up w at least 6 RBs total after the draft...as bye weeks and injuries leave some teams without 2 Rbs who even play. i made this mistake my first year and ended up last

but yes, in a smaller leageu or one taht doesnt have a flex there is no point in going 3 RBs unless the value drops so much that you are forced to. even then...i would be hestitant to go w the third RB
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk