Best Ball strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Ball strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Ball strategies

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 am

So I am being recruited as a ringer by a buddy of mine. HE won a spot in a league and it was either survivor or best ball. I chose best ball having played neither but traditionally being able to put together all around good line ups.

What if anything is different. It is pure best ball, draft once and you are done.

How early do fliers come off the board vs a traditional league?

Any thoughts, advice etc... is appreciated.

Traditional roster of qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, te, k, dst with 1/10 and 1/20 with 6 for all and full PPR.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Ball strategies

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 am

bungle613 wrote:So I am being recruited as a ringer by a buddy of mine. HE won a spot in a league and it was either survivor or best ball. I chose best ball having played neither but traditionally being able to put together all around good line ups.

What if anything is different. It is pure best ball, draft once and you are done.

Traditional roster of qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, te, k, dst with 1/10 and 1/20 with 6 for all and full PPR.

i've never played Best Ball...is that where your Optimal Lineup is what plays? i would probably target elite RB's and TE's and then grab a bunch of Boom or Bust WR's and have a decent stable of QB's
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:42 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
bungle613 wrote:So I am being recruited as a ringer by a buddy of mine. HE won a spot in a league and it was either survivor or best ball. I chose best ball having played neither but traditionally being able to put together all around good line ups.

i've never played Best Ball...is that where your Optimal Lineup is what plays? i would probably target elite RB's and TE's and then grab a bunch of Boom or Bust WR's and have a decent stable of QB's

It is. Do the draft and your done and then each week the best possible line up is rostered for you.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:35 pm

Best ball or survivor, load up on WRs. All it take is one big play or two and you third bench WR is suddenly your WR1.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Best ball or survivor, load up on WRs. All it take is one big play or two and you third bench WR is suddenly your WR1.

Interesting theory and makes sense.

You have me curious... why TE's?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:50 pm

bungle613 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Best ball or survivor, load up on WRs. All it take is one big play or two and you third bench WR is suddenly your WR1.

Interesting theory and makes sense.

You have me curious... why TE's?

i guess i should have left the plural off...i would spend and early pick on a Witten, Gonzo, etc and then load up on the Home Run WR's (Evans, Santana Moss, Ginn, Curtis, etc)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:57 pm

I agree with those theories. Also, when constructing your draft board, the "3 big games per year" guys should move up your draft board. The Steve Smith's, Westbrooks, etc... Guys that typically slide down draft boards due to nagging injuries (Westbrook, Jacobs, maybe Galloway this year) should also move back up your board. You don't care if they miss a hand full of games or are Questionable on the injury report each week. You just want the 20+ pt performances they'll give you a few times during the year.

I guess how much they should move up your board depends on how many "bench" spots you have. I'm more accustomed to seeing best-ball in an auction format, when you can literally buy 9 WRs for $1 if you want to. If you only get something like one bench spot per position or something, then you might want to keep a more conventional looking draft board.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Just a thought, I wouldn't even think about taking a QB anytime early and then have 3 of them on your roster at all times. I could be wrong but in that format I think three bargain bin quarterbacks might be just as valuable as one peyton manning or tom brady and wouldn't cost an early draft pick. I agree with stocking up on the "boom or bust" WRs. Sounds like a really fun league though.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:Just a thought, I wouldn't even think about taking a QB anytime early and then have 3 of them on your roster at all times. I could be wrong but in that format I think three bargain bin quarterbacks might be just as valuable as one peyton manning or tom brady and wouldn't cost an early draft pick. I agree with stocking up on the "boom or bust" WRs. Sounds like a really fun league though.

Actually, I would argue a high flight QB is very valuable. For example, Brees only had 4 games last year with under 250 yds. passing. Eli Manning (what I would call a bargain bin QB) only had 1 game over 300 yds. You would need 12 Eli Mannings to equal 1 Drew Brees, and you would need each of those Elis to have their big game on different weeks.

So you're better off taking the hit when your big name QB has a poor game rather than relying on multiple lower level QBs to have big games. Basically, good QBs regularly put up good stats...bad QBs (fantasy-speaking) regularly put up bad stats. Unlike WR where they are up and down all the time, QB is a more constant producer.

Edit: The exception might be to do a Culpepper/Stafford combo with another "filler" QB just in case. That's the only way I'd buy that theory, and even that seems very risky to me.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Well rather than theorize, let's take a look. Here are the top 3 fantasy QBs last year sorted by avg points per game (based on a pretty normal point system.)

QB Yr APPG T
1. Drew Brees 2008 22.21 355.35
2. Jay Cutler 2008 20.83 333.30
3. Aaron Rodgers 2008 20.66 330.60
Kurt Warner 2008 20.22 303.30
Let's take Drew Brees the top performer as you used it in your example. His total fantasy points for the year were 355.35.

Now lets take the composite of the 19th 20th and 21st best QBs (assumes a 10 team league and has everyone else already drafting 2 qbs) We will drop the week Drew Brees had a bye just for ease.

19. Ben Roethlisberger 2008 14.88 238.10
20. Matt Ryan 2008 14.82 222.30
21. Jason Campbell 2008 14.57 233.05

Week by Week composite
W1: 14.55 (Ben)
W2: 19.55 (Jason)
W3: 18.25 (Jason)
W4: 17.85 (Jason)
W5: 24.65 (Ben)
W6: 18.15 (Matt)
W7: 16.7 (Ben)
W8: 20.25 (Ben)
W9: Drew's Bye
W10: 18.2 (Matt)
W11: 15.4 (Ben)
W12: 22.45 (Ben)
W13: 16.05 (Matt)
W14: 26.05 (Matt)
W15: 17.4 (Ben)
W16: 23.95 (Ben)
W17: 20.7 (Jason)

Total Composite: 310.15.

This puts the trio between the third and fourth place QBs last year. Some things to consider with the 3 bargain bin QB system:
- This does not take into consideration the trios' bye weeks, since they are the worst QBs on anyone's roster (theoretically) you could rotate in whom you'd like for one bye week QB with no issues.
- You can play the matchups, If you don't like that Big Ben is taking on Baltimore's defense this week, rotate him for someone playing the Lions. :-b
- High risk/reward guys: With this system it would give you the ability to go after someone like stafford/culpepper (just using your example) who has the ability to put up giant numbers or throw 5 picks.

Anyway, I had no idea how it would come out before I did this... Just was curious to see. I think it shows that there may be some viability in that strategy if you aren't able to get a top 3 QB.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk