Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week

Postby mongo366 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:50 am

I have been playing with a strategy of drafting all my players so that they have the same bye week. There are several advantages:

1) No need to have bye-week fill-ins unless you are concerned about injuries. (For the fun of it I am assuming that all my players will stay healthy.)
2) Sacrifice one week’s win for the ability to catch opponents with byes during other weeks, which should translate to a better winning percentage.
3)It is a money league where each week the highest scorer gets a piece of the total pot. By having my best available team throughout the year (except for one week) I will be able to maximize my potential weekly winnings.

Now, in order for the strategy to work I have to be able to assemble a strong team from the same bye week. I believe that I have found a week that presents the best opportunity to capitalize on talent and value, Week 5. Below are the STARTERS I am targeting and their respective auction values at ESPN. The ESPN values are multiplied by 1.2 in order to take into account being a 12-man league (ESPN values based on 10 players).

QB–Rodgers: $22
RB–Forte: $65
WR–Jennings: $30
WR–Colston: $23
WR–VJackson: $16
Flex–PThomas:$22
TE-Olsen: $6
K-Anybody: $1
DEF-Anybody: $1
League Settings: Auction Redraft, 12-players, Non-PPR, 6 Bench, $200 Budget

Do you have a better team you can assemble? I am open to any and all suggestions/thoughts.

ESPN Values can be found here: http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=NFLDK2K9_ranksRB
mongo366
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week

Postby Dalingh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:22 pm

It's a very interesting Idea, but the point of FF is to win the championship. Yes, you would matchup great in all weeks except 5, but when everyone has a full squad in the playoffs, your "advantage" would no longer exist...
QB: Schaub
RB: LT, P. Thomas, Benson, Maroney, Ganther
WR: Megatron, Boldin, Britt, Roy Williams
TE: Gates
K: Hartley, Kaeding
D/ST: Cincinnati, Tennessee
Dalingh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Yes, but you gotta be in it to win it. In the playoffs its such a small sample size and anything can happen that the playoffs can be more luck than the aggregate of the regular season. So just getting in is a huge thing, and this can help. But the liklihood of actually doing it and getting the best team you can is pretty dicey. I've had it where a couple of my key guys were on bye the same week (both backs, the top receiver) and it worked out pretty well that year. I lost twice in the regular season.

But you can overthink things.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mongo366 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:50 pm

I completely agree that you have to "be in it to win it", but I see no reason why the above assembled team would not have as good of a chance as any other in the playoffs. It just seems like you have to be innovative to have an advantage on your competition. A couple years ago, savvy owners recognized the advantage of not just taking RBs early and probably won their leagues because of it. I was just looking for a way to have a competitive advantage on my opponents by valuing their bye week more than is traditional.
mongo366
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:12 pm

i'm just not sure how much of an advantage you'll really have...based on how the schedule plays out you may never (or rarely) play anyone who is without more than 1 starter, and my guess is they'll have a decent enough backup
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:19 pm

What happens if you don't get one of those players ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Im willing to bet since its an auction he is willing to drop the cash necessary to put together his team.

And it leaves you 17 bucks I think to grab some good value guys near the end of the draft ;-D
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby mongo366 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm just not sure how much of an advantage you'll really have...based on how the schedule plays out you may never (or rarely) play anyone who is without more than 1 starter, and my guess is they'll have a decent enough backup

I think the position that I am most banking on being an issue for the other teams is WR. Most agree that WR is pretty shallow this year, meaning that there will be three weeks that each team has to insert a fairly poor replacement. My team will have three solid receivers performing weekly.

dream_017 wrote:What happens if you don't get one of those players ;-7

Then I yell at everyone in the draft room and call them a bunch of jerks. :~(
mongo366
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Also look at his team its not bad, he is investing nearly all of his money into these starting positions. which is not a bad strategy for an auction.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:03 pm

mongo366 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm just not sure how much of an advantage you'll really have...based on how the schedule plays out you may never (or rarely) play anyone who is without more than 1 starter, and my guess is they'll have a decent enough backup

I think the position that I am most banking on being an issue for the other teams is WR. Most agree that WR is pretty shallow this year, meaning that there will be three weeks that each team has to insert a fairly poor replacement. My team will have three solid receivers performing weekly.

true...but WR is also a position where a bye week guy can go off for a huge game as well...who's to say you dont face a Devin Hester or someone like that that ends up having a huge week

again, not trying to discourage you, i just dont see it being that strong an advantage to where i'd specificaly target players for it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk