Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Best Starting Fantasy Team with Same Bye Week

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:07 pm

The problem I see is that you pigeon hole yourself into those guys. What if someone falls to you in the draft (or goes for cheap in an auction)? You will pass that value up just to get your bye week guys.
Last edited by MotorCityKitties on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i just dont see it being that strong an advantage to where i'd specificaly target players for it

bingo ;-D

You are also banking on playing every other team during one of their top players bye weeks...that is not going to happen. The schedule could come out where you actually play everyones team with someone on a bye week...what then?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mongo366 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:true...but WR is also a position where a bye week guy can go off for a huge game as well...who's to say you dont face a Devin Hester or someone like that that ends up having a huge week

again, not trying to discourage you, i just dont see it being that strong an advantage to where i'd specificaly target players for it

MotorCityKitties wrote:The problem I see is that your pigeon hole yourself into those guys. What if someone falls to you in the draft (or goes for cheap in an auction)? You will pass that value up just to get your bye week guys.

dream_017 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i just dont see it being that strong an advantage to where i'd specificaly target players for it

bingo ;-D

You are also banking on playing every other team during one of their top players bye weeks...that is not going to happen. The schedule could come out where you actually play everyones team with someone on a bye week...what then?

All very good points. It sounds like most would lean towards not heading in the "Bye Week" direction, and that is the main reason I posted. I wanted to hear what the wise members of FFC had to say on the subject before I jumped in. The problem now is that I am just curious to see how it would do, so I am probably going to do it anyways.

Gotta love learning the hard way. Needless to say, my wife tends to make most of the bigger decisions in our life.
mongo366
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 011472 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm wrestling with this in one of my auctions. I'm allowed three keepers in this league, and all three are week 8 byes. So I'm looking at considering chasing an RB group of Portis, Parker, Ward, Benson (probably Portis and two of the others) and 3 WRs out of Moss, Bowe, Ocho, Homes, and Bryant. That leaves Cooley and Winslow as TE possibilities and i've got Brady at QB.

I could see how the "bye week advantage" could get this team to the playoffs, but is it strong enough to win? The RBs in particular concern me.

I'm trying not to let my curiosity win out, and only choose to do this if it makes sense, not because I've spent a lot of time wondering if it would work better than just getting the best possible roster together.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 2ksports » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:46 pm

I think this is a good idea in Auction, but ppl can have backups better than your starters... so watch out.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby spodog » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm

I've seen guys try this before. The only thing it guarantees you is that you'll definitely post a loss on that targeted bye week.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:42 pm

Don't like this strategy at all.

One win or loss is usually what seperates the playoff teams from the losers. I don't see the advantage in purposely losing a game no matter what the supposed "benefits" are. This strategy only guarantees you a loss.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby captainhotrain » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Very interesting theory but punting a game is crazy. I think you goal is to minimize bye week exposure. My strategy last year and this year is to level load bye weeks as much as possible while targeting players with good playoff schedules.

An example of a team with a great schedule weeks wk 14/15:
Arizona vs DET and STL. I really don't see these two teams jumping to an elite status this year.

Bye weeks are weeks 4-10.
Auction league 2 keeper
Fantasy starters: 9
Total players: 15
Maximum # of players for byes per week: 2 for starters, 3 out of 15.

An example for Wideouts ( I draft 3 must start 2)

1)Calvin Johnson keeper wk 7
2) Targeting Larry Fitzgerald wk 4 ( Playoffs wk 14 vs Detroit, wk 15 vs STL)
3) Backup wideout needs to have favorable playoff schedule and no conflict of bye week.

Guy I won't target: Steve Smith (wk 14 vs MIN, wk 15 @ NYG)

Another good idea is to draft a kicker with a bye week of week 10.
For example, draft Lawrence Tynes or Kris Brown and when another player drops their kicker in an earlier week pick up off of waiver wires. The odds are someone when drop a kicker like Akers or Kaeding in weeks 4 or 5.
captainhotrain
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 011472 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:11 am

captainhotrain wrote:Another good idea is to draft a kicker with a bye week of week 10.
For example, draft Lawrence Tynes or Kris Brown and when another player drops their kicker in an earlier week pick up off of waiver wires. The odds are someone when drop a kicker like Akers or Kaeding in weeks 4 or 5.

I like this idea. Never thought of it because I don't think of kickers much, but it looks like a nice way to solve that problem without too much concern.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk