What's a Good IDP Roster-Scoring Setup? How You Like Mine? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

What's a Good IDP Roster-Scoring Setup? How You Like Mine?

What's a Good IDP Roster-Scoring Setup? How You Like Mine?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:29 pm

For a start-up 10 Team 1 player keeper League set up for enthusiastic fantasy beginners using a standard offense, D/ST, a small bench of 3, 3 IR, and IDP, what do you like for an IDP roster and why?

What do you think of the following setup I am thinking of using?

ROSTER. One each of
DT
DE
LB
CB
S

SCORING
Sack 2
Any TD 4
Block P, PAT, FG 2
Int 2
Fumb Recv 2
Force Fumb 1
Safety 2
Solo Tackle 1
Asst Tackle .5
Tackle for loss 1.5
Pass Def 1

I'm figuring on using just one each because I'm thinking their are not of elite big impact players at each position and this will keep more on the waiver wire to give people something to think about and perhaps play with like matchups maybe.

PS: This is on ESPN and the only IDP scoring catagory I'm not using is Every x Total Tackles. (I'm using the Solo, Assisted, Tackle for Loss instead.) Anyway, is that catagory for each player or the total of all IDP players on your roster?
Last edited by TomBrooklyn on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's a Good IDP Roster-Scoring Setup? How You Like Mine?

Postby 204BC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:37 am

No offense?

If not I think you should expand the roster somewhat. There's a gazillion good LB's and DB's and there should be plenty to go around if it's only a 10 team league. I'd go with 2DE, 2DT, 4LB, 2DB and 2S. This would give you a 12 man roster. I would also expand the bench a bit and go at least 6 deep if not 8 and nix the IR. No need for that when there will be many good players still available on the WW.

As for the scoring, defensive TD's are so rare compared to offensive TD's that I'd have them much higher than 4 points. At the very least put them at 6. Personally I might even go as high as 10.

I'd also bring down the points for tackles a bit. Keep sacks at 2, tackles for loss can be 1. Solo tackles at 0.5 and assists at 0.1 (if you can set it that way, otherwise make assists worth zero) If you don't want to do this then I'd raise the points for sacks to 3 and tackles for loss to 2.

A forced fumble should be worth more than a recovery to me. Switch them around.

Defenses force turnovers 2 different ways in real football. Fumbles and Interceptions. If a Forced Fumble and Fumble Recovery combined equal 3 points, then an interception should also be worth 3 points. Both are turnovers and should be scored the same.

If there's also an offense drafted in this league then that would change my outlook completely.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi 204,

The setup I had in mind has a standard offense setup too. (QB, RB, RB, Flex, WR, WR, DE) Sorry I didn't make that more clear. I'll edit it in to the OP now.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 204BC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 pm

If there is an offense involved then I don't think you want to expand the rosters as much as I had previously suggested, but you still may want to expand somewhat.

I'd go with a little different setup. Considering it's only a 10 team league and they are beginners:

2 DL - don't force them to pick DE or DT, this expands the pool a bit for these positions.
2LB - Here's where I'd add one extra defensive player. There are so many good LB's out there it's almost not fair to limit each team to only 1.
2DB - Kind of the same theory as the DL position. Let them pick from any DB instead of just CB's or S's. Remember, you're dealing with beginners at IDP leagues here.

I'd also expand the bench to at least 6 since you have both offense and defense to account for and lower the IR to 1 or 2.

OR....

If you don't want to have to big of rosters then I'd go with:

1 DL
1 LB
1 DB

Expand the bench to 4 or 5 and lower the IR to 1 or 2. Personally I like the IR at 1. It's better than 0 and if your star RB goes down it's nice to have. On the flip side, "stuff" happens and sometimes you have to decide whether or not to drop someone who is hurt that might get picked up by another owner. It makes you think about strategy more, especially for the long haul, if you don't have too many IR slots. That's just my own opinion though.

As for scoring, it will depend on what offensive players score. In my opinion a 10 tackle game should be the same as a 100 yard rushing game. Let's look at Jon Beason as an example. He finished the year with 110 solo tackles and was one of the top defensive players. If the scoring for 10 tackles is equal to a 100 yard rushing game then it would be the equivilant to rushing for 1100 yards which is pretty darn good. He'd still be a tad bit below AP for points though.

I also stand by my earlier argument that defensive TD's should be worth at least 6 points. They happen so much less on the defensive side than they do on the offensive side it's really almost like penalizing a defensive player for getting one if you only award 4 points.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TomBrooklyn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:55 am

Hi 204,
Thanks for your comments.

I like your idea of using 2 DL and 2 DB instead of one each of DE, DT and CB and S to add flexibility.

We could also go with 2LB if there are that many good ones out there.

I also decided to expand the bench and reduce the IR even before I read your reply.

I expanded the bench to 6. A standard bench for an offense-only team is 7. My thinking was that for owners who did not know players well and were not particularly adept at drafting strategy, a slightly smaller bench would put less emphasis on the draft and more on following the players and studying the waiver wire throughout the season. Does that make sense? I was wondering if a 6 man bench might be inadequate to handle the player substitutions that are required during bye weeks.

I also lowered the IR in the meantime to 1. I was mixed up and thought IR was like a baseball DL where players could come off, but now I know IR means out for the season. Since we have a one keeper option it would seem logical to be able to protect at least one player that might want to be kept. Someone told me the IR in football can be abused and used to "cheat." I didn't get a chance to ask him how that could be. Are you aware of any way an IR spot can be abused, perhaps in a keeper league?

Scoring 4 points for defensive TDs is standard Traditional ESPN scoring. But the recovery of a fumble and an interception or a blocked kick get 2 points so the total for the recovery and the TD becomes 6. (ESPN Performance based scoring only gives 3 points to a defensive TD for some reason while retaining the same 2 points for recoveries/INTs.) Kickoff and punt return TDs are scored as 6.

We're not using bonus points for 100 yd rushing, so probably won't add in a defensive equivilent like a bonus for 10 tackles.

It seems strange to me that standard scoring makes sacks, fumble recoveries and interceptions the same at 2 pts. I think fumble recoveries and interceptions are worth more than a sack in a real game. If these were made to 3, then if a return was made for a TD, it would total to 7 instead of 6.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FearTheTurtle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:41 am

In my league there are 7 IOPs and 7 IDPs. No Defense.

With our scoring it's really not viable to have DL slots with tackles being the main stat. Just divide up your slots between LBs and DBs. Then offer a flex.
Without knowing your offensive settings it's hard to judge whether it's a good scoring system.

My Scoring-
Tackle - 3
Asst. - 1.5
Sack - 4
INT - 5
Fumble Rec - 5
Forced Fum - 5
Safety - 5
Pass Def. - 3
TD - 6
FearTheTurtle
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 pm

I've played with IDP's in so many different formats.

1DL, 1LB, 1DB
2DL, 2LB, 2DB
1DL, 1DL/LB, 1LB, 1LB/DB, 1DB
2DL, 1DT, 3LB, 2DB, 1CB, 2Flex

Then I have one league where we start 9 IDP's, and they have to be in one of 6 different formations:

4-3 (4 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB)
3-4 (3 DL, 4 LB, 2 DB)
5-2 (5 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB)
Nickel (3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB)
Dime (3 DL, 2 LB, 4 DB)
Prevent (3 DL, 1 LB, 5 DB)

8-o :-D

Those are just a few off the top of my head. The possibilities are endless. It's really whatever you & your league prefers. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Grid Reaper » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:00 am

This is a topic that I have been working on for years. I've played in many formats as well, and I noticed in all of the early IDP leagues I played in, the Commishes all made the same judgement that scoring should be somehow similar to traditional Offensive scoring. This is a fundamental flaw in the way that almost all IDP leagues are run in my opinion, and yours is set up the same.

The problem in the past has been that RB's or QB's tend to dominate most leagues in scoring and with only traditional points being awarded to IDP's, the defensive scoring production isn't significant enough to allow good owners to distinguish themselves on defense. I have developed a scoring system that has been in place for 5 years now and my Franchise Owners love it! I call it "Balanced Performance Points" and it is tried and tested in a $1200 league. It employs PPR scoring combined with High Performance Points for IDP's and rewards Returns. Usually about 40% of my top performers are on D. This puts a real premium on team management. It takes a good draft, precise waiver actions, and efficient starters to truly succeed.

Check out my scoring set up at http://PPFFL.com and click on categories.
Grid Reaper
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby ivanhack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:41 pm

In my league we keep it simple and play with 4 Flex IDP.

I suggest you do something like 4 or 5 flex idp if its the first time you're doing it.

Another idea is 4 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB. Keep it simple, don't break it down to defensive end, defensive tackle, cornerback, safety, etc. Like the other poster said there are tones of quality linebackers.

Defensive TD is a huge play, it should be 6 points. Sacks & Int's should be at least 3 points (big plays). Force Fumble 2 points.

Good Luck!

TomBrooklyn wrote:For a start-up 10 Team 1 player keeper League set up for enthusiastic fantasy beginners using a standard offense, D/ST, a small bench of 3, 3 IR, and IDP, what do you like for an IDP roster and why?

What do you think of the following setup I am thinking of using?

ROSTER. One each of
DT
DE
LB
CB
S

SCORING
Sack 2
Any TD 4
Block P, PAT, FG 2
Int 2
Fumb Recv 2
Force Fumb 1
Safety 2
Solo Tackle 1
Asst Tackle .5
Tackle for loss 1.5
Pass Def 1

I'm figuring on using just one each because I'm thinking their are not of elite big impact players at each position and this will keep more on the waiver wire to give people something to think about and perhaps play with like matchups maybe.

PS: This is on ESPN and the only IDP scoring catagory I'm not using is Every x Total Tackles. (I'm using the Solo, Assisted, Tackle for Loss instead.) Anyway, is that catagory for each player or the total of all IDP players on your roster?
ivanhack
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to IDP