Strategy Help - Weird Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy Help - Weird Rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy Help - Weird Rules

Postby budwizer11 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:29 pm

The commish in one of my leagues is trying to hold on to the past where RB were always king.. last year we had 1 pt / 10 yr rush and 1 pt / 10 yr receiving as well as 1 pt for every 2 receptions.

This year he is changing things to: 1 pt / 10 yrd rush and 1 pt / 20 yrd receiving and 1 pt for every 4 receptions. He is basically cutting WR points in half because of how good they were last year.

What kind of strategy should I use for this new point system? I know RB will be heavily favored now but if everyone is going RB, RB, RB.. would there be any value in a different approach?
budwizer11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy Help - Weird Rules

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:01 pm

budwizer11 wrote:The commish in one of my leagues is trying to hold on to the past where RB were always king.. last year we had 1 pt / 10 yr rush and 1 pt / 10 yr receiving as well as 1 pt for every 2 receptions.

This year he is changing things to: 1 pt / 10 yrd rush and 1 pt / 20 yrd receiving and 1 pt for every 4 receptions. He is basically cutting WR points in half because of how good they were last year.

What kind of strategy should I use for this new point system? I know RB will be heavily favored now but if everyone is going RB, RB, RB.. would there be any value in a different approach?

Let everyone go RB/RB then when your second round pick comes, you go RB/WR and grab Fitz or AJ ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby Purple1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

I don't know If I'd play in a league where the commish makes all the decision's..........Shouldn't you and the other owners have gotten a vote on the proposed rule changes? But even with the original scoreing wern't the Forte's and Westy's heavily outscoring the other positions?

If I'm picking at the end of round one I'd probably still pick one of the top 3 WR then maybe a Westy.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:27 pm

First, I agree with Purple in that I'd be weary of playing in a league like this where the commissioner doesn't involve the other teams prior to implementing significant rule changes. Also, I'm hoping that this isn't any type of keeper league where teams already have players and I'm also hoping that the draft order wasn't set before the commissioner made these changes. If it was not a 100% fresh start to a new season when the changes happened, I would look to get out quickly.

With all that said, I only think this pushes the value of RBs relative to other positions up slightly. At the end of the day, the RBs will score the same as they did last year for the most part and the WRs will score a little less. Depending on where you are drafting, I would look to secure 2 of the top 15 WRs if possible and then fill in my RB core with a couple of riskier RB picks coming from rounds 4 through 7. For example and assuming you have a late 1st round pick. I would look to grab something like this (but be aware that every draft is unique and you need to go with the flow of the draft):

1st Round - RB
2nd Round - WR
3rd Round - WR if a top 15 WR falls, if not RB
4th Round - The opposite of Round 3
5th Round - Grab a TE if one of the big 4 are left.
6th Round - Grab another RB here.
7th Round - Grab another RB here.

So, assuming this works the way I think it will, you will end up with a 1st round RB, at least 1 top 3 WR, either a top 15 or at worst a top 20 WR, 3 RBs to platoon as your RB2, and a top 4 TE. Then pick 2 QBs later in the draft to platoon all season long and you will have a competitive team if you drafted the right guys.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:51 pm

I would draft RB, RB, WR or QB. But not neccesarily in that order. If I had a chance to take Moss in the second round, I would be hard pressed to pass him up. He should score more TD than most, if not all, WRs.
You really need to talk to your commish about being so wishy-washy. He changes the rules last year, then changes them again this year? Why not take a couple years to see how it pans out. PPR leagues are usually pretty balanced. I wonder if your commish was unable to grasp the change in value and changed the rules again so he could continue with his RB-RB-RB-RB-RB-RB-RB-RB-RB strategy.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby budwizer11 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Good feedback so far everyone.

I was also thinking that employing the value based drafting method might have a lot of merit with these unique rules.
budwizer11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk