IDP Newbie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

IDP Newbie

IDP Newbie

Postby garretterik » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Never played with IDP before. We will have one starting IDP player scoring next year (and score for return yardage). I was wondering:
1. What round do you start drafting IDP players?
2. Do you carry a IDP bench player?

Here are our league stats:
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, W/T, K, DEF, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Standard Yahoo scoring except:
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Return Yards 25 yards per point; 2 points at 100 yards
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6
IDP:
Tackle Solo 2
Tackle Assist 1
Sack 3
Interception 3
Fumble Force 1
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 6
Safety 3
Block Kick 2
garretterik
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: IDP Newbie

Postby 204BC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 pm

I actually just wrote an article for the cafe on this very subject but it hasn't been published yet. Not sure if they will publish it so I'll throw out a few tidbits without giving it all away.

You only have one "D" position so this is still mainly a standard league. With this setup you are simply dabbling with IDP.

There are a lot of good defensive players and I don't want to turn this into too long of a reply so what I recommend you do is go onto NFL.com and click on the "stats" link. Select the 2008 regular season and sort by individual players on defense. Then sort by total tackles. When you pull up a player make sure you look at the lower part of the screen and find out how many SOLO tackles they had. The top will show total tackles, which combines solo and assists.

With return yards at 25/pt and a bonus at 100 I would target Josh Wilson as my top IDP player. He had 69 solo tackles last year (at 2pts each = 138 points), 4 INT's (12 more pts) and a TD (6 more) but he also had over 1700 return yards which at 25yds per point would give you roughly another 70 points. Add all of that up and he has almost 240 total points. Another guy to target who is in a similar situation is Leodis McKelvin.

If you can't get either of those two then go after a top LB. Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, Jarod Mayo, Barrett Ruud....there's about a dozen more top quality LB's. Do what I suggested earlier and sort them out on NFL.com.

As for when to draft it depends on the size of your league. The bigger the league, the earlier you will want to grab an elite defensive player. I would not be afraid to draft IDP's as early as round 5 or 6 in a 14 team league. Go round 6 or 7 for a 12 team league, 7 or 8 for 10 teams and 8 or 9 for 8 teams.

Hope that makes sense.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 pm

garretterik wrote:Never played with IDP before. We will have one starting IDP player scoring next year (and score for return yardage). I was wondering:
1. What round do you start drafting IDP players?
2. Do you carry a IDP bench player?

Here are our league stats:
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, W/T, K, DEF, D, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Standard Yahoo scoring except:
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Return Yards 25 yards per point; 2 points at 100 yards
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6
IDP:
Tackle Solo 2
Tackle Assist 1
Sack 3
Interception 3
Fumble Force 1
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 6
Safety 3
Block Kick 2

Since you only start one IDP, I wouldn't draft one for my bench because you'll easily be able to pick up an awesome bye week replacement during the season. As far as when to start drafting the IDP's, I'd at least wait for the other owners to start picking them. Because you only start one IDP, you could wait a LONG time to draft one and still get a top IDP player. I'd let the other owners spend early picks on IDP's while I stock up on offensive players. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Grid Reaper » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:31 am

204BC wrote:I actually just wrote an article for the cafe on this very subject but it hasn't been published yet. Not sure if they will publish it so I'll throw out a few tidbits without giving it all away.

You only have one "D" position so this is still mainly a standard league. With this setup you are simply dabbling with IDP.

There are a lot of good defensive players and I don't want to turn this into too long of a reply so what I recommend you do is go onto NFL.com and click on the "stats" link. Select the 2008 regular season and sort by individual players on defense. Then sort by total tackles. When you pull up a player make sure you look at the lower part of the screen and find out how many SOLO tackles they had. The top will show total tackles, which combines solo and assists.

With return yards at 25/pt and a bonus at 100 I would target Josh Wilson as my top IDP player. He had 69 solo tackles last year (at 2pts each = 138 points), 4 INT's (12 more pts) and a TD (6 more) but he also had over 1700 return yards which at 25yds per point would give you roughly another 70 points. Add all of that up and he has almost 240 total points. Another guy to target who is in a similar situation is Leodis McKelvin.

If you can't get either of those two then go after a top LB. Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, Jarod Mayo, Barrett Ruud....there's about a dozen more top quality LB's. Do what I suggested earlier and sort them out on NFL.com...

This guy's right on. GET A RETURNER. Josh Wilson was the MVP in my league last year over 2nd Forte and 3rd Brees overall. I have Wilson, Willis, Ruud, McKelvin, and Demarcus Ware and won it all last season.
Grid Reaper
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to IDP