Vick signs with Eagles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vick signs with Eagles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Vick signs with Eagles

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 am

I was surprised that Vick didn't get more traditional reps to get into a flow. Risky move.
Given the relative tranquility of the Vick re-entry into football, I think every day that Kommandant Goodell does not grant Vick full re-instatement is a day wasted by the power-mad commish.
Think beyond your enornous ego, Kommandant. In the future you will re-instate him and he will play. So why not allow it now and get any of the negative backlash out of the way during the exhibition season? Idiot.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:38 pm

joejlitz wrote:On the other hand, he substituted in and out every other play or so which I wasn't pleased with. I'm hoping this was just to get him on the field and to get him some experience. McNabb missed two wide open recievers for big gains and I wonder if it had something to do with his inability to get into the flow early.

So what's his excuse for the last 10 years? :-b
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby joejlitz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
joejlitz wrote:On the other hand, he substituted in and out every other play or so which I wasn't pleased with. I'm hoping this was just to get him on the field and to get him some experience. McNabb missed two wide open recievers for big gains and I wonder if it had something to do with his inability to get into the flow early.

So what's his excuse for the last 10 years? :-b

Oh, OK.

MIN finally gets a decent QB and now you think you can talk smack, huh? }:-)

26-14, hoss. :-)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:07 pm

moochman wrote:I was surprised that Vick didn't get more traditional reps to get into a flow. Risky move.
Given the relative tranquility of the Vick re-entry into football, I think every day that Kommandant Goodell does not grant Vick full re-instatement is a day wasted by the power-mad commish.
Think beyond your enornous ego, Kommandant. In the future you will re-instate him and he will play. So why not allow it now and get any of the negative backlash out of the way during the exhibition season? Idiot.

MOOCH! The bash Goodell thread is here: Mooch's Personal Bash Goodell Forum

Anyway, I wasn't worried about Vick getting into the flow. I'm worried about our #1 QB and the rest of the offense getting into rhythm.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:21 pm

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:I was surprised that Vick didn't get more traditional reps to get into a flow. Risky move.

Anyway, I wasn't worried about Vick getting into the flow. I'm worried about our #1 QB and the rest of the offense getting into rhythm.

Sounds like McNabb was more than a bit worried too. A really questionable move by Reid. May lead to McNabb and the first team playing more than is the norm in the 4th game.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:54 am

moochman wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

Sounds like McNabb was more than a bit worried too. A really questionable move by Reid. May lead to McNabb and the first team playing more than is the norm in the 4th game.

None of the Eagles starters will play in the last preseason game. They never do.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby joejlitz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am

Goodell likes Vick's progress
Philadelphia Daily News

ASHBURN, Va. - NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says Eagles quarterback Michael Vick is "making the right kind of progress" and he speaks with Vick at least once a week..."A lot of those issues I'm focusing on are off the field," Goodell said. "How is he dealing with the transition? Does he have his family relocated? Does he have the right people around him helping him make decisions? "Tony Dungy's been incredibly helpful. Donovan McNabb's been helpful. I talk to Michael on a weekly basis, if not more. I'll be meeting with him again sometime in the near future . . . He's focused on the right things."

Rest of Article: Goodell likes Vick's progress

I think Vick could be back playing in Week 3 if Goodell is feeling benevolent. Realistically, I think he will be reinstated during the Eagles' bye week in Week 4 and that he will be on the sideline in pads Week 5.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:59 am

"If Goodell is feeling benevolent."
How on earth does any one man have the right to determine a players future on the whimsy of his 'feelings'? I think if the Kammandant were really cognizant enough about images he should seriously consider establishing a committee designed to deal with player misconduct issues. In fact, the NFLPA should sack-up and insist on this in the new CBA. No one person, especially someone whose interests are not in the players' welfare, but the leagues' image, should have that kind of power.

BTW--Vick should be reinstated at once. Stop playing God-dell, Kammandant, and let my players go!

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:04 am

These Vick protestors are really starting to get on my nerves. What are they even protesting at this point? If you don't think Vick should be allowed to play then you're implying one or both of the following: A. Our justice system is too lenient on animal abusers. B. Our "corrections" system does not work and criminals can never be trusted as part of society again.

If it is A. then you choose the wrong venue when you protest Vick. He is one person trying to move on from this. He was punished beyond the extent that most abusers would be. This doesn't simply include the extent of which the legal system provided punishment - keep in mind that he was handed a stiff punishment compared to most people who are involved at even the highest extent of the allegations against him - but also in the arenas of finance and community. He has lost everything he once had, which was a lot.

Rather than demanding further punishment for Vick you should instead lobby your legislators with the opinion that the scales of justice are skewed in these cases. Use Vick as an example of someone whom you feel should have been punished more harshly. This will be far more productive for society than to attempt to turn Vick into a complete outcast.

If you believe that it's B. then I would argue that you're part of the problem of which you complain. Part of the reason why our jails don't work is because we have this attitude that anyone coming out of them is nothing but an animal whose only wants in life are crime. At the very least, we assume that they are so much more likely to commit further crimes - which we then use chicken-or-the-egg statistics to back our assumptions - that we treat them as too much of a liability to correctly participate in society.

Here we have a situation where some obviously feel that the system failed. Yet, rather than blame the system or analyze the failure we blame the person and demand his personal failure. Oh, how the American Public likes to see its stars fall! If we go out of our way to create an abject failure in our society what do we gain?

If you are judged and punished (or not) in our legal system then we should accept that punishment and move on. Or we should challenge the punishment itself, whether it be too hard or too soft, within the legal and legislative systems. How many of the people with signs in front of Eagles games do you think even went so far as to place a single phone call to a legislator? In the community we are best to treat past criminals as humans and learn to forgive, if not forget, their crimes. We don't have to like them, we don't have to socialize with them, we don't have to go to their games, but we should give them a chance, and it should be the best chance we can afford, because it is the only way for them to return to society productively.

And we wonder why the return rate of our prison system is so high...
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:41 am

Art Vandelay wrote:These Vick protestors are really starting to get on my nerves. What are they even protesting at this point? If you don't think Vick should be allowed to play then you're implying one or both of the following: A. Our justice system is too lenient on animal abusers. B. Our "corrections" system does not work and criminals can never be trusted as part of society again.

If it is A. then you choose the wrong venue when you protest Vick. He is one person trying to move on from this. He was punished beyond the extent that most abusers would be. This doesn't simply include the extent of which the legal system provided punishment - keep in mind that he was handed a stiff punishment compared to most people who are involved at even the highest extent of the allegations against him - but also in the arenas of finance and community. He has lost everything he once had, which was a lot.

Rather than demanding further punishment for Vick you should instead lobby your legislators with the opinion that the scales of justice are skewed in these cases. Use Vick as an example of someone whom you feel should have been punished more harshly. This will be far more productive for society than to attempt to turn Vick into a complete outcast.

If you believe that it's B. then I would argue that you're part of the problem of which you complain. Part of the reason why our jails don't work is because we have this attitude that anyone coming out of them is nothing but an animal whose only wants in life are crime. At the very least, we assume that they are so much more likely to commit further crimes - which we then use chicken-or-the-egg statistics to back our assumptions - that we treat them as too much of a liability to correctly participate in society.

Here we have a situation where some obviously feel that the system failed. Yet, rather than blame the system or analyze the failure we blame the person and demand his personal failure. Oh, how the American Public likes to see its stars fall! If we go out of our way to create an abject failure in our society what do we gain?

If you are judged and punished (or not) in our legal system then we should accept that punishment and move on. Or we should challenge the punishment itself, whether it be too hard or too soft, within the legal and legislative systems. How many of the people with signs in front of Eagles games do you think even went so far as to place a single phone call to a legislator? In the community we are best to treat past criminals as humans and learn to forgive, if not forget, their crimes. We don't have to like them, we don't have to socialize with them, we don't have to go to their games, but we should give them a chance, and it should be the best chance we can afford, because it is the only way for them to return to society productively.

And we wonder why the return rate of our prison system is so high...

You use good logic and make good points. But here's the thing: these people are probably part of group A. However, they also know that it is actually a more productive use of their resources (more publicity) if they protest Vick than if they call up a senator or such. A US senator is not going to care at all about an individual's phone call, or even a small group (unless they put up $$ to back their interests....).
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk