X-Game I: Lions vs Atl Pre and post game commentary - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

X-Game I: Lions vs Atl Pre and post game commentary

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: X-Game I: Lions vs Atl Pre and post game commentary

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 pm

bigken117 wrote:I recorded the game and watched it in FFWD...basically to see how well Stafford looked. I thought he looked good, despite the fact I wouldn't pick Colbert for my flag football team. I actually think it was mature of Stafford to go back to him after him 2nd and 3rd drops. The INT looked like a rookie mistake - get mad at Culpepper if he makes that play but not Stafford, and the TD I thought was an excellent pass to a receiver in stride towards the end zone. Granted it was only what, 24 yds, but it's nice to see them swinging for the fences and making contact. Just imagine how good when Calvin's in there :-L

But I didn't hear any mention of why Delmas was out, but heard he has been impressive in camp. Any insight? I was hoping to see him.

He had a knee randomly swell up on him in a team meeting after practice, he's not even sure why it happened. From what I've heard he should be good to go for the next one.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 am

dream_017 wrote:Things I didn't like:
- falling behind: I don't like the fact that we fell behind by 14/17 points. Part of that was also getting inside the 5 yd line and coming away with 3 points. One of my biggest pet peeves about this team. Obviously we didn't have CJ, so we may be throwing a fade for 6, but I would still like to see a play inside the 5 go for a TD on the ground.
- not scoring once getting inside the 5: see above
- missed tackles: not a huge concern as there are many new faces and this is a different scheme and it is also the first time they had pads and were able to hit people. If this continues into the 3rd pre-season game then it will be a concern
- Cason: already been mentioned by others

Dream, I hate to tell you this, but it is impossible to turn the team over quickly enough to correct the D flaws. Especially when we decided to go with a TE instead of D help. I fully expect that this team will lose many, many games becuase its D cannot stop good offenses. I also expect that we will be in more games because our O will be improved. When I look back at the 7-9 season and last year's 0-fer I realize just how important Martz was to the team. Remember Kitna blowing up at the start of the second half, game one? He realized the gross incompetence of Coletto and NImRod. Now we have a HC who wants his players to try and make plays and an OC who knows how to design a pro offence.
It'll get better, but its going to take time.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:58 am

moochman wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Things I didn't like:
- falling behind: I don't like the fact that we fell behind by 14/17 points. Part of that was also getting inside the 5 yd line and coming away with 3 points. One of my biggest pet peeves about this team. Obviously we didn't have CJ, so we may be throwing a fade for 6, but I would still like to see a play inside the 5 go for a TD on the ground.
- not scoring once getting inside the 5: see above
- missed tackles: not a huge concern as there are many new faces and this is a different scheme and it is also the first time they had pads and were able to hit people. If this continues into the 3rd pre-season game then it will be a concern
- Cason: already been mentioned by others

Dream, I hate to tell you this, but it is impossible to turn the team over quickly enough to correct the D flaws. Especially when we decided to go with a TE instead of D help. I fully expect that this team will lose many, many games becuase its D cannot stop good offenses. I also expect that we will be in more games because our O will be improved. When I look back at the 7-9 season and last year's 0-fer I realize just how important Martz was to the team. Remember Kitna blowing up at the start of the second half, game one? He realized the gross incompetence of Coletto and NImRod. Now we have a HC who wants his players to try and make plays and an OC who knows how to design a pro offence.
It'll get better, but its going to take time.

I don't really expect this team to compete for a playoff spot this year. I know it is going to take some time, but on the other hand, I think it may be(at least I hope) sooner than we think. One reason I think we didn't go defense in the draft is because Schwartz and Gunther think they can work with what they have to at least be competitive. I think we saw a little of that this past weekend. By my calculations, Atlanta only had 7 plays that went for more than 10 yards. They also only had 228 total yards 8-o With the game on the line all ATL had to do was get a first down with 2:05 to go and it went like this:
1-10-ATL 29 (2:02) 27-T.Brown right tackle to ATL 27 for -2 yards (39-S.Schweigert).
Two-Minute Warning
2-12-ATL 27 (1:58) 27-T.Brown right end to ATL 25 for -2 yards (54-D.Levy).
Timeout #2 by DET at 01:52
3-14-ATL 25 (1:52) (Shotgun) 4-J.Wilson up the middle to ATL 26 for 1 yard (69-R.Kees).
Timeout #3 by DET at 01:47.
4-13-ATL 26 (1:47) 9-M.Koenen punts 51 yards to DET 23, Center-48-R.Shiver. 30-D.Wynn to DET 27 for 4 yards (29-J.Fudge).

Again, I'm not trying to get too excited, but it has to be encouraging to see so few long plays and to see a defense step up when needed(even if it is 3rd string guys).

Plus, with an offense that can move downfield, that will take even more pressure off the defense.

Nimrod had this team so unprepared going into games (I posted before about 5-6 games were in the first quarter alone we were down 21-0 or 21-3). I just don't see that happening with this HC/OC/DC.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions