Jonathan Stewart - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jonathan Stewart

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jonathan Stewart

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:16 pm

I think people have been ignoring JStew's injury history regarding his left ankle/foot for far too long. In case you are not properly informed, let me fill you in.

2002: Suffered left ankle fracture as a sophomore (high school)
2005: Sprained left ankle vs. Montana and missed the following two games
2006: High left ankle sprain in season opener, wore a protective boot then reaggravated it, missing most of UCLA game
2007: Turf toe late in the year
2008: Surgically repaired big left toe (turf toe) before the draft, missed all OTA work, still had discomfort in it at the start of camp. Showed up on the injury report with left toe and heel injuries during the season and wore a protective boot several times.
2009: Did not practice in offseason activities with what was reported by the team as a left ankle issue. Surgery has been suspected but not verified. Problem was acknowledged as an overcompensating Achilles due to his surgically repaired toe. Stewart was not present for the first day of training camp. Stewart expects to only practice once a day during training camp. Did not practice much during the season, filled in well for DLo when he went down. "Tweaked" his Achilles in Week 17 and had another foot surgery a few weeks later.

Stewart is a very physically gifted running back, but he might also be cursed with a bum wheel too. I said this last year and I will say it again, John Fox gives preference to his veteran players. Stewart is not earning any points with him by missing all OTA work and only being at camp for half the workouts. I don't see how anyone can confidently say Stewart will push Williams for significant work when he can't stay healthy. Those of you who are writing off Williams this year should reconsider. All I hear is how Stewart is going to take away carries, yet that is the same talk I heard the beginning of last year when he was supposed to take Williams' job. Now he's a backup, but everyone is still chirping he's still going to push Williams.

Watch Williams have another big year.
Last edited by mattUTD20 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jonathan Stewart's Bum Wheel

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:09 pm

I think Williams is a top 5 back regardless of Stewart's health. If J.S. is gone, well even better. Have always loved Williams running style (wanted him out of college).

He killed me last year...... wouldn't mind getting him this year so he can't do it again.
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:10 pm

I agree Matt. I've always said Fox likes his incumbent backs. And now that Stewart has been missing a bunch of time in 2009 off season it just opens things up even more for Williams. I don't think the guy will score 20 times again but 14 or 15 is entirely possible. Carolina has one of the best offensive lines in the game and legitimate receiving threats. Williams should be over 5ypc again and carry over 250 times again. I have no problem with people making him a first round selection.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:49 pm

I agree with much of what has been said. Another thought to this conversation: the importance of TDS. DW and JS combined for 28 rushing TDs last year. They play a far more difficult schedule this year. And Delhomme had an embarrasing 36% completion percentage inside the 10.

I think you will see those rushing TDs sliced in half (just my opinion...I'm sure others think that is overstating). But the point is, whoever gets the goal line carries is going to determine the value, mostly of DW.

Both were similar in both carries and success rate when the team needed 2 yds or less on third or fourth down - either for a TD or just a first down. JS had 16 of those carries and DW had 15. Both converted at least 80% of the time. So either can be the go to guy at money time - if DW continues to get half of those, I think he's a top back. If JS takes over that role, I think DW's fantasy value suffers more than people think.

Therefore, any injury to either RB is significant. Maybe not in terms of yardage, but in terms of TDs. And more on topic...I don't really buy the bum wheel theory YET. By all accounts, the injuries are unrelated - fracture, sprain, and toe. Perhaps something in his running style leaves his left leg more vulnerable? Not sure...but I'm not ready to peg him as the next Fragile Fred.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am

dgan wrote:I agree with much of what has been said. Another thought to this conversation: the importance of TDS. DW and JS combined for 28 rushing TDs last year. They play a far more difficult schedule this year. And Delhomme had an embarrasing 36% completion percentage inside the 10.

I think you will see those rushing TDs sliced in half (just my opinion...I'm sure others think that is overstating). But the point is, whoever gets the goal line carries is going to determine the value, mostly of DW.

And more on topic...I don't really buy the bum wheel theory YET. By all accounts, the injuries are unrelated - fracture, sprain, and toe. Perhaps something in his running style leaves his left leg more vulnerable? Not sure...but I'm not ready to peg him as the next Fragile Fred.

I would say that cutting it in half is a bit drastic considering what they want to do with the football, that is, pound it. But you are right, 28 rushing scores is alot. Let's make it say, 20? 2 to 1 in favor of DWill, give him 14 to Stewart's 6?

I'm not sure what more needs to be seen about Stewart's left leg to come to the conclusion that there has been an ongoing problem there. Even if it was somehow his running style or something else he has been doing habitually that's led to each injury, do you think he's going to suddenly change what he's doing after 6 or 7 separate issues? Doesn't look like it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 2ksports » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:56 pm

This puts DeAngelo in the top 5 imo. DeAngelo is a truly electrifying back. Him and Steve Smith make everybody worry.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mrblitz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Top 5 may be a bit of a stretch. But Williams is absolutely in line for a big year.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:23 pm

I can't get a feel for D Williams this year. I know that Stewart is always banged up, but Williams just doesn't tickle my fancy I guess and I know that Carolina LOVES to pound the rock and their offensive line is just incredible, I don't know what it is.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Here is my issue with the DWIll vs Stewart argument. There is little question that they are both very good RB's and can both me top 10 RB's at some point in their careers. Now, in this day and age they both can not be on the same team once they are in line for a new contract. Carolina will be letting one of them go at some point... now which one. Williams has 2 years left on his deal and is making very little money as a RB1. I would think it is a very real possibility that he demands a new deal next summer. Stewart is signed through 2012 and makes 3 times want DWill does currently. I believe Stewart to be the better football player and I think if proven healthy is who Carolina would prefer to keep.

Now, how does that play out over the next 2 years. I am not entirely certain but I think what must be done is that Stewart needs to be tested and proven to be an NFL caliber RB and a healthy NFL caliber RB. This means he needs touches and as many as possible. It would be a very bad move for Carolina to split the ball 80-20 or 70-30 this year and not know if Stewart can take the punishment handed out in the NFL.

What I would do is work towards a 50-50 split in carries this year and deal DWill in the offseason. I realize that scenario is unlikely as the NFL just doesn't do that (which I have never understood why) but I can't think of a better option for Carolina as a franchise. Keep a stud who is under contract and get huge value for a guy that you can't keep anyways after 2010.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 am

bungle613 wrote:Here is my issue with the DWIll vs Stewart argument. There is little question that they are both very good RB's and can both me top 10 RB's at some point in their careers. Now, in this day and age they both can not be on the same team once they are in line for a new contract. Carolina will be letting one of them go at some point... now which one. Williams has 2 years left on his deal and is making very little money as a RB1. I would think it is a very real possibility that he demands a new deal next summer. Stewart is signed through 2012 and makes 3 times want DWill does currently. I believe Stewart to be the better football player and I think if proven healthy is who Carolina would prefer to keep.

Now, how does that play out over the next 2 years. I am not entirely certain but I think what must be done is that Stewart needs to be tested and proven to be an NFL caliber RB and a healthy NFL caliber RB. This means he needs touches and as many as possible. It would be a very bad move for Carolina to split the ball 80-20 or 70-30 this year and not know if Stewart can take the punishment handed out in the NFL.

What I would do is work towards a 50-50 split in carries this year and deal DWill in the offseason. I realize that scenario is unlikely as the NFL just doesn't do that (which I have never understood why) but I can't think of a better option for Carolina as a franchise. Keep a stud who is under contract and get huge value for a guy that you can't keep anyways after 2010.

2 problems here:

1. Carolina is a contender this year, so they'll most likely use whatever they believe is the best combination to win games now, not in the future. In a couple years they'll have to replace their #1 WR and QB, so it's not "rebuild time", it's "win now" time....

2. What do you trade DW for? Picks (1st rounders especially) get paid lots of money. Good players generally have big deals in the NFL. So while DW would have great value as a one-year "rental", I'm not sure what value Carolina could actually get for him.... Also keep in mind hes an RB....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk