Jonathan Stewart - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jonathan Stewart

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jonathan Stewart's Bum Wheel

Postby bungle613 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:06 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Here is my issue with the DWIll vs Stewart argument. There is little question that they are both very good RB's and can both me top 10 RB's at some point in their careers. Now, in this day and age they both can not be on the same team once they are in line for a new contract. Carolina will be letting one of them go at some point... now which one. Williams has 2 years left on his deal and is making very little money as a RB1. I would think it is a very real possibility that he demands a new deal next summer. Stewart is signed through 2012 and makes 3 times want DWill does currently. I believe Stewart to be the better football player and I think if proven healthy is who Carolina would prefer to keep.

Now, how does that play out over the next 2 years. I am not entirely certain but I think what must be done is that Stewart needs to be tested and proven to be an NFL caliber RB and a healthy NFL caliber RB. This means he needs touches and as many as possible. It would be a very bad move for Carolina to split the ball 80-20 or 70-30 this year and not know if Stewart can take the punishment handed out in the NFL.

What I would do is work towards a 50-50 split in carries this year and deal DWill in the offseason. I realize that scenario is unlikely as the NFL just doesn't do that (which I have never understood why) but I can't think of a better option for Carolina as a franchise. Keep a stud who is under contract and get huge value for a guy that you can't keep anyways after 2010.

2 problems here:

1. Carolina is a contender this year, so they'll most likely use whatever they believe is the best combination to win games now, not in the future. In a couple years they'll have to replace their #1 WR and QB, so it's not "rebuild time", it's "win now" time....

2. What do you trade DW for? Picks (1st rounders especially) get paid lots of money. Good players generally have big deals in the NFL. So while DW would have great value as a one-year "rental", I'm not sure what value Carolina could actually get for him.... Also keep in mind hes an RB....

Agree completely with the win now comment although I am not sure I would put them as legit contenders. As fr what do you deal him for... if you ahve your replacement back proven and in place then you deal him out of conference for the best offer you can get imo. Ist rounders outside the top 10 or so are actually fairly affordable and desired. I would have little issue if Carlina could somehow have DWill in the top 5 in rushing again ALONG with finding out if Stewart is legit and dealing tot he highest bidder. I just dont think it is possible. Big deals have been made for RB's and I don't see any other way that hti RBBC can go other than one of them gone to start 2011.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 2ksports » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 pm

I think as a franchise, you want to burn out your star RB, then use the other RB as the star for 2 more years, while drafting another replacement, so you never overpay at that position, just keep letting RBs go and draft new ones, while dishing out the big $$$ for the O-Line. I think DeAngelo gets 300+ touches the next to years and they let him go.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 pm

I like D-WIll more and more! I want him in the late first of my drafts.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:15 am

2ksports wrote:I think as a franchise, you want to burn out your star RB, then use the other RB as the star for 2 more years, while drafting another replacement, so you never overpay at that position, just keep letting RBs go and draft new ones, while dishing out the big $$$ for the O-Line. I think DeAngelo gets 300+ touches the next to years and they let him go.

Intriguing theory until your draft Kijana Carter (man am I old) or Kenny Irons or Chris Henry in more recent times.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby VIKINGFAN » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 am

I just made the following trade in my keeper league. (Remember allot of the premiere RB's are off the books already) do to keeper rights. So I moved my late 1st rd pick.

I TRADED:
1st rd pick (11th overall)
17th rd pick
RB - W.Parker (PIT) (6th rd keeper slot lost)

I GOT:
4th rd pick
29th rd pick
RB - D.Williams (CAR) (4th rd keeper slot lost)

How did I do?

I already have the following 4 keepers to go with him,
QB - M.Ryan (ATL) 3rd rd slot lost
RB - S.Slaton (HOU) 5th rd slot lost
QB - T.Romo (DAL) 7th rd slot lost
TE - Z.Miller (OAK) 11th rd slot lost
VIKINGFAN
Head Coach
Head Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 29)

Jonathan Stewart - bad achilles, bad news

Postby Motown Blues » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:06 pm

via rotoworld:
Jonathan Stewart has missed six consecutive practices at Panthers camp due to continued soreness in his Achilles' tendon.
He's been shut down for four days. Coach John Fox admitted early this week that team doctors prescribed rest for Stewart. He now hasn't participated in any contact drills in over a week. We'll keep close tabs on Stewart over the next month, but he's a risky draft pick at this point. Aug. 15 - 7:52 pm et
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Re: Jonathan Stewart - bad achilles, bad news

Postby dblj9911 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:49 am

Every bit of news I hear about JStew being injured makes me feel better and better about have AP and DWill as my starting rb's in a dynasty league.
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 75)

Postby mattUTD20 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Stewart isn't practicing at all now in order to rest his Achilles and was deactivated for the Panthers' first preseason game.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Do injured achilles ever really heal or is it just a matter of time before it finally goes and he needs surgery?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Azrael wrote:Do injured achilles ever really heal or is it just a matter of time before it finally goes and he needs surgery?

Yes...it can heal...I imagine he's probably giving it some rest and then doing some strengthening type exercises so that he can keep it from being a recurring problem.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk