Jonathan Stewart - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jonathan Stewart

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jonathan Stewart's Bum Wheel

Postby dgan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:48 pm

On a "I hope this is sort of related to this thread" note, did anyone see Mike Goodson tonight? I don't get caught up in preseason stuff much, but the kid looks like he can play at this level. The Panthers don't have anything else decent behind JStew that I'm aware of, so is this kid worth some pub as a flyer? If JStew can't stay healthy, there are a lot of carries available in that backfield.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Yep he looked good, he's worth keeping an eye on and maybe a flier in deeper leagues if the situation stays as is. If Stewart or Williams are announced out for any extended period of time, he's worth a pickup.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Jonathan Stewart - bad achilles, bad news

Postby jp05ser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm

the only thing i have hear about Stewart is that he still isnt practicing. what ya guys think? any hope?
jp05ser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby DanielAbdel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:44 am

Its only going to be a matter of time before he gets back out there. He's going to be warming my bench regardless, but if, lets say worst case scenario, he misses 1/4 the season due to this injury, he'll only come back fresher than ever. Dwilliams has stated numerous times how much he leans on Jstew for success. They want to run together and they will.
DanielAbdel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 2ksports » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:48 am

DanielAbdel wrote:Its only going to be a matter of time before he gets back out there. He's going to be warming my bench regardless, but if, lets say worst case scenario, he misses 1/4 the season due to this injury, he'll only come back fresher than ever. Dwilliams has stated numerous times how much he leans on Jstew for success. They want to run together and they will.

What if he opts for surgery on his heel?

They got good backs in Carolina and they really don't need him at all this year. If it comes down to a career decision where surgery on his heel is what doctor recommends, I'd like to know why he wouldn't take the surgery route.

If you made the mistake of drafting this guy for whatever reason there is no need to go super-optomistic and start quoting how much DeAngelo Williams wants to run with JStew. That has nothing to do with how much JStew will play this year. One of 3 things will happen:

1) He comes back and they slowly work him in, giving him a small load for the first few games, then exploding towards the 2nd half of season (decent)
2) He comes back and re-aggravates the injury b/c he has a heel problem. (bad)
3) Doctor recommends surgery and he's out a long time. (bad)
4) He comes back, but just doesn't produce, unable to make the same cuts as he's used to. (bad)

Not really attractive imo.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm

To me that dude just has some chronic problem with that foot/ankle.

As posted by MattUTD in the leftovers:

2002: Suffered left ankle fracture as a sophomore (high school)
2005: Sprained left ankle vs. Montana and missed the following two games
2006: High left ankle sprain in season opener, wore a protective boot then reaggravated it, missing most of UCLA game
2007: Turf toe late in the year
2008: Surgically repaired big left toe (turf toe) before the draft, missed all OTA work, still had discomfort in it at the start of camp. Showed up on the injury report with left toe and heel injuries during the season and wore a protective boot several times.
2009: Did not practice in offseason activities with what was reported by the team as a left ankle issue. Surgery has been suspected but not verified. Problem was acknowledged as an overcompensating Achilles due to his surgically repaired toe. Stewart was not present for the first day of training camp. Stewart expects to only practice once a day during training camp.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mattUTD20 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Here's some of the latest news and speculation on Stewart's Bum Wheel from rotoworld and beat writers.

According to the Charlotte Observer, it's "looking more and more unlikely" that Jonathan Stewart will be ready for the season opener against the Eagles.

This sounds like an educated guess, but there are no indications to the contrary. Stewart hasn't practiced in over three weeks and shows no signs of improvement. It's past time to upgrade DeAngelo Williams and Mike Goodson and push Stewart down your cheat sheets.
Source: Charlotte Observer

Jonathan Stewart, who's battled an Achilles' injury all offseason, missed practice yet again Monday for "personal" reasons.

The absence was excused. We're speculating here, but it's possible that Stewart was going for another opinion on his heel. While there's been no talk of Stewart needing surgery, he has been shut down for the entire preseason.

The personal day is very interesting. There are two routes here if the speculation that Stewart went for another opinion is correct. The first is to follow up on surgery he had earlier in the offseason that Stewart may have had done. The other is to find out if there is something more than just an overcompensating Achilles at work here. Either way, that wheel isn't healing.

Goodson is draftable now in 12 team leagues. If Stewart misses week 1, Goodson could see some work and be a legitimate threat for 10 carries behind a very stout offensive line. Williams is a downright steal late in the first round.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bginz1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:50 pm

According to beat writer Darin Gantt, Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart (Achilles) and Jon Beason (knee) proclaimed themselves ready for Week 1 after Thursday's game.
The Charlotte Observer's Charles Chandler says, however, that Stewart is giving no assurances that he'll be back next week. Said Stewart: "We'll see how things play out." We'd like to see confirmation from coach John Fox before assuming that Stewart will be ready to play in the opener. Still, this is the first positive news on Stewart's injury in the past month. Sep. 3 - 11:40 pm et
Bginz1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 pm

What are the chances that all this negative press about his foot/toe/leg turns JS into a great value pick and inflates DW value? I'd say its quite possible.
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Xtreme » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:40 am

dblj9911 wrote:Every bit of news I hear about JStew being injured makes me feel better and better about have AP and DWill as my starting rb's in a dynasty league.

I'm glad I"m not in your league, having to play for 2nd place every year.

On a related comment, there's no sign of JStew getting any better. Even if he tries to play through it, he'll be less effective and Williams will begin to take more carries. This absolutely raises DWill's ADP, and if we get word that JStew is out for any extended period, DWill becomes #3 RB behind AP and MJD.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk