Jonathan Stewart - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jonathan Stewart

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jonathan Stewart - bad achilles, bad news

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:04 am

I wish we could get something more on this. I think there is a fair chance that he will be ready. I dont even know anymore lol. I know i drafted Stewert pretty late when the last thing on it i had read was on CBS website saying that Stewert had said in an interview at CBS that he was fine and would play week one. Then i come here and everyone is talking about surgery and sh*t. Im like really really hoping that hes okay....
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jp05ser » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:03 pm

i cant see him going from not practicing at all to being a significant back in the 1st week or 2 he probably COULD be back to normal bye week 3 or 4 i think
jp05ser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dblj9911 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Just listening to Sirius NFL network and John Fox was on and didn't say whether he was going to play or not, just that he didn't play in the preseason and they were trying to get him ready for the season. I'd say that with Goodson's showing in the preseason that they will bring JStew back very slowly and you won't see him and getting his full amount of touches until the 3rd or 4th week.
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 75)

Postby soty » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 pm

Jonathan Stewart Returns to Panthers Practice

Jonathan Stewart (Achilles) returned to the Panthers practice Wednesday for the first time in nearly a month.
We'll update later this afternoon, but Stewart was likely "limited." He's not going to be usable in Week 1 versus Philly, but this confirms that Stewart is on schedule to at least play some snaps and eventually cut into DeAngelo Williams' carries heavily, barring setbacks. Owners that drafted Stewart can breathe easy. He'll likely be a borderline fantasy starter before long. Sep. 9 - 1:43 pm et
soty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DanielAbdel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:02 pm

2ksports wrote:
DanielAbdel wrote:Its only going to be a matter of time before he gets back out there. He's going to be warming my bench regardless, but if, lets say worst case scenario, he misses 1/4 the season due to this injury, he'll only come back fresher than ever. Dwilliams has stated numerous times how much he leans on Jstew for success. They want to run together and they will.

What if he opts for surgery on his heel?

They got good backs in Carolina and they really don't need him at all this year. If it comes down to a career decision where surgery on his heel is what doctor recommends, I'd like to know why he wouldn't take the surgery route.

If you made the mistake of drafting this guy for whatever reason there is no need to go super-optomistic and start quoting how much DeAngelo Williams wants to run with JStew. That has nothing to do with how much JStew will play this year. One of 3 things will happen:

1) He comes back and they slowly work him in, giving him a small load for the first few games, then exploding towards the 2nd half of season (decent)
2) He comes back and re-aggravates the injury b/c he has a heel problem. (bad)
3) Doctor recommends surgery and he's out a long time. (bad)
4) He comes back, but just doesn't produce, unable to make the same cuts as he's used to. (bad)

Not really attractive imo.

The Associated Press reports Carolina Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart (Achilles') participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 9. Head coach John Fox said Stewart looked great during practice. Stewart may be able to play in Week 1.

You forgot 5) you're totally wrong (good)
DanielAbdel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 2ksports » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:58 pm

DanielAbdel wrote:
2ksports wrote:
DanielAbdel wrote:Its only going to be a matter of time before he gets back out there. He's going to be warming my bench regardless, but if, lets say worst case scenario, he misses 1/4 the season due to this injury, he'll only come back fresher than ever. Dwilliams has stated numerous times how much he leans on Jstew for success. They want to run together and they will.

What if he opts for surgery on his heel?

They got good backs in Carolina and they really don't need him at all this year. If it comes down to a career decision where surgery on his heel is what doctor recommends, I'd like to know why he wouldn't take the surgery route.

If you made the mistake of drafting this guy for whatever reason there is no need to go super-optomistic and start quoting how much DeAngelo Williams wants to run with JStew. That has nothing to do with how much JStew will play this year. One of 3 things will happen:

1) He comes back and they slowly work him in, giving him a small load for the first few games, then exploding towards the 2nd half of season (decent)
2) He comes back and re-aggravates the injury b/c he has a heel problem. (bad)
3) Doctor recommends surgery and he's out a long time. (bad)
4) He comes back, but just doesn't produce, unable to make the same cuts as he's used to. (bad)

Not really attractive imo.

The Associated Press reports Carolina Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart (Achilles') participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 9. Head coach John Fox said Stewart looked great during practice. Stewart may be able to play in Week 1.

You forgot 5) you're totally wrong (good)

Seems like 1, 3, and 4 are still quite possible, given his history of ankle problems. For me to be wrong, he would have to have an immediate impact and then continue to play the remainder of the games without reaggravating the injury, getting enough carries to merit starting on fantasy teams.

I think I've left myself a pretty good buffer to not be wrong :)
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jaytizy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 pm

heres another report just worded differently
Jonathan Stewart returned to a full practice on Wednesday and is not listed on the Panthers' Week 1 injury report.
Neither is MLB Jon Beason (knee). Wednesday was Stewart's first workout since August 11, but he's going to play on Sunday. While it'll most likely be in a limited role, Stewart appears to be on the clear path to full strength. Carolina's plan of complete rest for his sore Achilles in camp paid off. Sep. 9 - 4:43 pm et
jaytizy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jp05ser » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:23 pm

heres something to think about. ever since JS went and "got a 2nd opinion" on his achilles...we have nothing but good news. maybe he wasnt getting a 2nd opinion after all. Maybe he was feeling better and they sent him to get checked up so he could be 100% cleared. Or...maybe...its just wishful thinking by someone who drafted him ha ha. whatever it is...it looks like its on the upswing now
jp05ser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby HomerJay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:24 am

Roto's take

Maybe the Panthers actually knew what they were doing with Jonathan Stewart all along. The doctors prescribed rest for his sore Achilles, so that's exactly what Stewart got.

He barely participated at OTAs. He was merely an observer for just about all of training camp. Mike Goodson was touted as a camp darling. Then, yesterday, just four days before the season opener, Stewart practiced for the first time since Aug. 11 (and the ninth time all offseason). One media member said the second-year back looked "real good," and he's expected to play Sunday against the Eagles. Stewart isn't even listed on the team's injury report.

If this storyline sounds familiar, it's because Stewart was hampered by a toe injury and then this heel problem during his rookie year. He! didn't practice too much then, either, but still played in all 16 games, racking up 10 touchdowns and 833 yards. So we know Stewart, the Panthers and Allen Iverson share the same philosophy about practice: Who needs it?

Now the question becomes how Stewart will fit in with DeAngelo Williams. Last year, Williams got the call 274 times while Stewart had 183 carries. As good as Williams is, a healthy Stewart is probably the better running back. But Williams is now established as a premier NFL back. Anything less than 250 carries for Williams this season will be a surprise. Stewart will continue to be in and out of practice and not be at 100 percent, but yesterday's news is obviously nothing but good for his owners.
He who laughs last...thinks slowest
HomerJay
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert

Postby ZeuS Swag » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Would you start JS(vs phi) over Lendale White(playing against pitts this week). keep hearing that he is hurt and not gonna play. gotta make a decision quick, i have JS starting. My first post btw hah. thnx for replys
ZeuS Swag
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk