Weirdest Draft Picks You've Seen This Year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Weirdest Draft Picks You've Seen This Year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Weirdest Draft Picks You've Seen This Year

Postby fezzik » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Matthias wrote:
fezzik wrote:In a competitive money league, one guy took T.O. ahead of S. Smith, G. Jennings, Boldin, and Wayne.

I don't think that's that strange of a pick at all. I see pluses and minuses to each of those 5 receivers and wouldn't bat an eye if any they got drafted in any order. When he's having a good year, TO probably has the highest ceiling of any of them but I could also see him dropping behind the others due to character and quarterback concerns. It just depends upon how someone individually feels about all of them but in my mind, they're all basically interchangable.

I agree Smith/Jennings/Boldin/Wayne are interchangeable. I disagree about T.O. But regardless, the reasoning behind passing on the others is what I found the most humorous...a mix of false information and superstition.

This pick was made in round 1. I picked directly after and took Brady at 12 in a league which has passing TDs at 6pts (and despite what I've heard people say around here, this does bump up QBs a little...not a huge amount, but there is still some adjusting to do). I stand behind my belief that it was a "weird" pick and belongs in this thread. ;-D
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 204BC » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:07 am

Had my last and final draft of the season last night. We had a Yahoo league that we drafted over a week ago and Yahoo went bonkers and jumbled up the draft order and players. I didn't even get the team I drafted. Anyway, Yahoo reset the draft for us and we gave it another go last night. 12 team with 1 keeper........ and then I saw the shocker of the season.......

Rd 3, pick 6..................Visanthe Shiancoe!!

Other than that the guy didn't have that bad of a draft but talk about reaching. I would have even considered that a reach if it had been round 6, pick 3.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 am

fezzik wrote:
Matthias wrote:
fezzik wrote:In a competitive money league, one guy took T.O. ahead of S. Smith, G. Jennings, Boldin, and Wayne.

I don't think that's that strange of a pick at all. I see pluses and minuses to each of those 5 receivers and wouldn't bat an eye if any they got drafted in any order. When he's having a good year, TO probably has the highest ceiling of any of them but I could also see him dropping behind the others due to character and quarterback concerns. It just depends upon how someone individually feels about all of them but in my mind, they're all basically interchangable.

I agree Smith/Jennings/Boldin/Wayne are interchangeable. I disagree about T.O. But regardless, the reasoning behind passing on the others is what I found the most humorous...a mix of false information and superstition.

This pick was made in round 1. I picked directly after and took Brady at 12 in a league which has passing TDs at 6pts (and despite what I've heard people say around here, this does bump up QBs a little...not a huge amount, but there is still some adjusting to do). I stand behind my belief that it was a "weird" pick and belongs in this thread. ;-D

The spot he picked TO is weird; picking him over those other WRs is not. Who has more TD catches than TO over the past 3 years? :-)
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Netviperx » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am

LT went as first pick!! AP went at number 4 in our draft!! I could not believe it! Brett Farve and Michael Vick were both drafted before getting on actual teams... I guess those bets paid off! Our draft was a fun draft!! things are sure mixxxed up! Should be a good year!
*=starter
QB:*Mc Nabb, Jay Cutler
RB:*Steven Jackson, Willie Parker
WR:*Steve Smith, Eddie Royal, *Brandon Marshall, Keven Curtis, Chris Chambers
TE: *Tony Scheffler, Jermichael Finey
KP: *Ryan Longwell
D: Eagles, New England
Netviperx
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby fezzik » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Munboy wrote:The spot he picked TO is weird; picking him over those other WRs is not. Who has more TD catches than TO over the past 3 years? :-)

Well...according my rankings TO is not a top 10 WR. According to the Cafe rankings TO is not a top 10 WR...according to ADP numbers TO is not a top 10 WR. All of the sources I mentioned have Jennings/S. Smith/Wayne not just ranked ahead of him, but on a different tier. So even though the rationale behind the pick was what made me laugh, it's still a weird pick IMO. ;-D
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm

fezzik wrote:
Munboy wrote:The spot he picked TO is weird; picking him over those other WRs is not. Who has more TD catches than TO over the past 3 years? :-)

Well...according my rankings TO is not a top 10 WR. According to the Cafe rankings TO is not a top 10 WR...according to ADP numbers TO is not a top 10 WR.

And I'm sure that all of those sources are 100% independent of each other. ;-)

I still say that T.O. wouldn't necessarily be my pick over some of those guys, but I wouldn't call it a weird one. Watching Felix Jones get drafted in the 2nd round.... that was weird.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jounthug » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 pm

One of my buddies drafted Donald Driver in 3rd round 16 team PPR league. I made fun of him the whole day. There still many good no.1 receivers left like Ochocinco, Housh, Brandon Marshall, and more. Also he drafted Aaron Brown(the lions RB backup) before Ricky williams, Willis McGahee, and Ahmad Bradshaw.

I made fun of him the whole night. He doesn't understand that the league was a 16-team PPR and has to pick the best available player. He said Aaron Brown was a sleeper. We made fun of him because his sleeper is never gonna wake up. lol.
jounthug
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:11 pm

dupree wrote:Not a pick per se....
Keeper league: Gave up a 4th round draft pick for the SD Def/ST

This just made me think of this...

I just took over a team this past offseason in one of my friend's keeper league. So I'm selecting my keepers ya know, and I ask him about draft picks (cuz I knew in this league you can trade picks just like players) to see what I will have to deal with going into the draft. So he tells me I have all my picks aside from my first rounder, looking at the roster I knew there had to be a dumba$$ trade that went down because in a 12 teamer my best keeper was MJD followed by Tony Romo. So I ask him what this douche traded away my first round pick for?

He Replies (and this is when i explode):

Your first round pick was traded last year for Jon fricken Beason and the other teams last round pick (to keep the picks balanced). Keep in mind we keep only 5 players year to year, and my top keepers were MJD, Romo, TO, Witten, Lee Evans, Addai, Torry Holt all welllllll before Beason. I was irate. 1st round pick for Jon Beason. Crazy stupid.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:1st round pick for Jon Beason. Crazy stupid.

Sounds pretty clever considering he wasn't the one giving up the 1st round pick; you were.

You know, it's like George W. Bush and deficit spending.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fezzik » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Matthias wrote:
fezzik wrote:

Well...according my rankings TO is not a top 10 WR. According to the Cafe rankings TO is not a top 10 WR...according to ADP numbers TO is not a top 10 WR.

And I'm sure that all of those sources are 100% independent of each other. ;-)

I still say that T.O. wouldn't necessarily be my pick over some of those guys, but I wouldn't call it a weird one. Watching Felix Jones get drafted in the 2nd round.... that was weird.

100% independent? Of course not, but I would challenge you to find any fantasy rankings that are 100% independent of each other. My personal rankings vary substantially from the Cafe's, but the Cafe still has some influence on me.

I agree Felix in the 2nd is weird...personally I would call it borderline insane, but that that's just me. :-)

We'll just have to disagree about the "weirdness" of the TO pick.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk