DRAFT QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

DRAFT QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

DRAFT QB?

Postby smoyer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:10 pm

If passing TD are worth 6 pts.,how soon do you draft a QB?
smoyer
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: DRAFT QB?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Depends on how good you want that position to be. You could grab Brees in the 2nd. Brady or Manning late 2nd early 3rd. Rodgers, Warner, or Rivers in the 4th or 5th. Or you could wait until the 7th or beyond for Mcnadds, Roth, Schaub, etc

In FFball you are rarely solid at every positon unless you get lucky in the draft. My favorite part about it is you can choose to build your team how you like. You might have a late 1st round pick and want to be strong at WR by grabbing Fitz / Moss. You'll suck at the RB spot but you can build your team that way if you want.

I try and get as much value out of each pick as I can. I hate following a run after several people have just grabbed the guys I wanted. I tend to think how can I benefit here by this run of 8 WR's. I'll take a 2nd RB instead to maximize value or maybe grab a top 3 Qb.

What you have to decide is when you feel you are getting the best value. Brees in the 2nd isn't value. You might get some value out of Brady or Manning as early as they are going. But if they don't pan out and you committed a high draft pick you will have a long uphill climb to those who got value out of their picks.

By value I mean grabbing a top 5 QB in the 7th round instead of wasting an early pick on one of the top 3.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby smoyer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks sound goods
smoyer
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 7)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:43 am

The same as any other year...not before the 6th round, but usually later.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Goody » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:26 am

The same as if passing TDs are worth 500000 pts.... Changing the value of passing TDs does not change the rankings of QBs to other positions. The only time a QB should be elevated in value is if the starting requirements are 2 QB. ;-D
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 am

I would draft Brady in the second half of round one.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 am

not any sooner than i would if they were worth 4
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:not any sooner than i would if they were worth 4

I would and I do. When passing TDs are worth the same as rushing/receiving TDs, that makes the QB more valuable than the RB/WR position. A star QB is going to throw 30+ TDs on the year. A star RB may get 15 TDs on the year. My draft strategy in my 6-pt TD league is to grab the top RB I can in the first, top-WR I can in the 2nd, and then look to grab Manning or Brady if still available in the 3rd. If not, then I target Rodgers in the 4th or 5th (I gotta do more mocks to see where these guys are actually going, but you get the idea).

The other benefit to this is that in my $$ league, weekly high score is awarded $25. Having a consistent, sure-fire, stud at those 3 positions goes very far towards ensuring your competitive for that prize each week. And a QB who can regularly throw 2TDs each week and often throw 3 TDs? That's money! RBs and WRs can't compete with that.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

Oh boy here we go with this debate again. A 6 point TD DOES make the QB position as a whole more valuable in relation to the other positions. It is not that big of a difference but it does matter.

Goody wrote:The same as if passing TDs are worth 500000 pts.... Changing the value of passing TDs does not change the rankings of QBs to other positions. The only time a QB should be elevated in value is if the starting requirements are 2 QB. ;-D

I hope you are kidding with this. Lets say both of our QBs average 300 yards a game but my QB averages 1.01 TDs a game and yours averages 1 TD a game. That 5000 point difference is a lot bigger than anything the rest of your team can make up assuming the rest of the scoring is standard. I could start the QB and bench the rest of my team and still pound your team into the dust.

If you can't see how increasing point values for a stat specific to one position doesn't increase that position in value relative to the other positions, then there is just no hope for you.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goody » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:06 pm

mattUTD20 wrote:Oh boy here we go with this debate again. A 6 point TD DOES make the QB position as a whole more valuable in relation to the other positions. It is not that big of a difference but it does matter.

Goody wrote:The same as if passing TDs are worth 500000 pts.... Changing the value of passing TDs does not change the rankings of QBs to other positions. The only time a QB should be elevated in value is if the starting requirements are 2 QB. ;-D

I hope you are kidding with this. Lets say both of our QBs average 300 yards a game but my QB averages 1.01 TDs a game and yours averages 1 TD a game. That 5000 point difference is a lot bigger than anything the rest of your team can make up assuming the rest of the scoring is standard. I could start the QB and bench the rest of my team and still pound your team into the dust.

If you can't see how increasing point values for a stat specific to one position doesn't increase that position in value relative to the other positions, then there is just no hope for you.

What happened in 2007 when I drafted Brady in the 7th and guys were grabbing Manning in the 2nd round? I believe Brady averaged more TDs per game even though he wasn't "projected" to at draft time.

Who is to say that it won't happen this year with a QB drafted in the 7th? Changing the point value should not warrant drafting a QB any earlier in terms of value for the QB position. You still draft the guys in the same place based on your projections for them simply because they are "projections"....
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk