DRAFT QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

DRAFT QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: DRAFT QB?

Postby smoyer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Kensat,I picked Frank Gore,#1 last year and benched him a good bit,still finished second.
smoyer
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm

moochman wrote:...Do you then take the top D? While I usually try to fill my roster, if I don't get an elite QB, I will fill some backup positions before taking a QB in the 8-10th rounds.

Not typically. I considered it the year the Bears were a sure-fire #1 Defense a few years ago, but backed down and was glad I did. At most, I'll grab a defense I really like to get ahead of the rush on defenses. I took the Eagles in the 9th last year, which would have been a reach, but my league is a bunch of guys from Philly, so I knew they wouldn't be there much later and 4 other defenses had already been selected.

To clarify my position, I'm all about getting Tier 1 players. So I see myself going RB1, WR1, QB1, TE1, followed by RB2 and WR2 in whatever order I can get 'em. With this philosophy, I kind of guarentee myself the best players in 4/7 positions in my league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, DST). That's also why I might jump on a D before everyone else - to get the defense I feel is Tier 1.

Maybe I can afford to do this because we don't have flex players and/or WR3s? :-?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

smoyer wrote:Kensat,I picked Frank Gore,#1 last year and benched him a good bit,still finished second.

I totally follow this logic that Kensat started, though I wish I had followed my gut and benched SJAX 3 years ago to start the season. It took me many games before I would admit this guy was no good that year.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:25 pm

smoyer wrote:Kensat,I picked Frank Gore,#1 last year and benched him a good bit,still finished second.

When did you select your QB last year and when did you select your top backup RBs? How did that turn out? Use your experience and learn from it. Personally, I've found that unless you're sure you're gonna get an elite guy with an early pick, it's just not worth it. If I don't get one of those guys, I will wait on the position and take my first guy right near the tail end of the "starters" (8-10 QBs depending on league size). I may follow that up with another QB pick right after the first, and sometimes I will even take 3 guys in a row if I think the value is there. It's not always about picking the right guy in fantasy football, sometimes its about putting the enough bullets in the chamber. Nobody is right on every single one of their predictions thats why its important to have Plan B-D.

Personally, I find that if I wait until 8 or 9 QB picks are off the board, I can grab a few extra players at other positions early and I will still end up with one of my top5 or top6 guys at the QB position taken from the 10th+ QB off the draft board. One thing I don't want to watch happen is to see my 6th ranked guy and my 8th ranked guy get taken right before my pick and then I end up taking my #12 ranked QB as the 12th QB off the board. That's the danger of waiting on a QB. Playing matchups at the QB position can work, but if you end up with duds it can really hurt you all year long. Anybody who tries to pair Kurt Warner with Matt Cassel will find that out this season IMO. I'd rather get my #6 guy as the 9th QB off the board and my #13 guy as the 20th QB off the board. Then again, sometimes it makes sense to take the #1 ranked guy as the 2nd guy off the board. It all depends on how you want your draft to play out and what type of strategy you have going in.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:17 pm

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:...Do you then take the top D? While I usually try to fill my roster, if I don't get an elite QB, I will fill some backup positions before taking a QB in the 8-10th rounds.

Not typically. I considered it the year the Bears were a sure-fire #1 Defense a few years ago, but backed down and was glad I did. At most, I'll grab a defense I really like to get ahead of the rush on defenses. I took the Eagles in the 9th last year, which would have been a reach, but my league is a bunch of guys from Philly, so I knew they wouldn't be there much later and 4 other defenses had already been selected.

To clarify my position, I'm all about getting Tier 1 players. So I see myself going RB1, WR1, QB1, TE1, followed by RB2 and WR2 in whatever order I can get 'em. With this philosophy, I kind of guarentee myself the best players in 4/7 positions in my league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, DST). That's also why I might jump on a D before everyone else - to get the defense I feel is Tier 1.

Maybe I can afford to do this because we don't have flex players and/or WR3s? :-?

I ask because it seems like the last few years the Stillers or Ravens usually outscore opponants D by a notable margin. Enough, I wonder to reconsider not drafting one early. Since you seem to want to fill your strating roster with studs, thought maybe a stud D might be worth taking over a back-up.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby crapshooter » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:33 am

In our league all touchdowns are:
1-9 yds. 6 pt
10-19 7 pt
20-29 8 pt
30-39 9 pt
40 + 10 pt

If you wait until the 2nd round you won't get a really good qb. All of those go in the first round.
crapshooter
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 pm

crapshooter wrote:In our league all touchdowns are:
1-9 yds. 6 pt
10-19 7 pt
20-29 8 pt
30-39 9 pt
40 + 10 pt

If you wait until the 2nd round you won't get a really good qb. All of those go in the first round.

So, what is the point difference between the #1 scoring QB and the #12 scoring QB?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby 2ksports » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:26 pm

joejlitz wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
2ksports wrote:Drafting a QB early is a mistake. You can shuffle 2-3 avg QBs vs bad defenses and get the same net result. QBs are like defenses in leagues where you can only play 1 QB, except rather than get them off waivers each week, you just pick 2 decent ones near the end of the draft (Edwards & Hasselbeck) and shuffle them vs whichever pass defense is worse.

I have to say I totally agree with this lad.

And really - what are we talking about here? Saving our VALUE picks? Trying to be the smartest drafter around?

I draft my RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, QB1, and TE1 all within the first 6 rounds of the draft and I try to be smart within those first 6 picks as to which round to choose the player at one of those positions. Because the bottom line is: It is your starters that win for you (we don't have a WR3 in my $$ league). So I could care less about taking a great RB3 in the 6th round because he ain't starting for me! If injuries happen or I miscalculated who my "sure things" were, I'll be an active and shrewd GM, play the waiver wire, and work trades. But I'm not going to sit here and tell myself that I can't draft a QB until the 8th round because I can get the great value for Schaub and maybe...just maybe...he'll perform as well as or slightly under Rodgers. The heck with that! I'm taking as many sure things as I can. Then I'll go pick Orton late in the draft and other guys with lots of unfulfilled potential and high ceilings.

Drafting a couple QBs later is just as "sure" as taking a QB in the 3rd, or 5th though, so why waste an early pick that can be used to enhance your skill positions? Everytime you pick a QB, there is a possible good WR or RB you miss on.

The point is that the positions with just 1 slot, aka TE, DEF, K, QB, are not that important simply b/c there will always be good options by WW rotation or at the end of drafts. It's much easier to find a good replacement with smaller drop off for those positions than for WR or RB.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 pm

1-9 yds. 6 pt
10-19 7 pt
20-29 8 pt
30-39 9 pt
40 + 10 pt

I play in a league like this and QB and WR talent become much more important than RBs in this format. I would not hesitate to take either Brees, Brady, or WRs with your first couple of picks. I have actually started a draft WR/QB/WR before in a distance league scoring system and done well. One long TD and you WRs and QBs are outperforming all but the top RBs week to week. If you have a flex, you will want to be starting a big play WR in most weeks. All it takes is two or three long TDs each week and your team is in the hunt if you have passable RBs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby crapshooter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:04 pm

dream_017 wrote:
1-9 yds. 6 pt
10-19 7 pt
20-29 8 pt
30-39 9 pt
40 + 10 pt

So, what is the point difference between the #1 scoring QB and the #12 scoring QB?

Not sure what the difference would be but we are a 14 team league. LOT of difference in the top 3 or 4 and the 14th.
crapshooter
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Football Talk