How does your league handle IR? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How does your league handle IR?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm

I’m curious because our commissioner has decided to change the rules so that once you put a player on IR they CAN NOT be reactivated afterward. Thus making that player only a potential keeper for the next year, and essentially useless unless it happens to be someone with a very high profile, like Tom Brady was last year.

In the past it had always been that we could put an injured player on IR and free up a roster spot to find a replacement from waivers until the injured player was off the injury report. Once they were no longer on the injury report, you were expected to drop someone from your roster to make it legal again. Granted there were times where someone people got kinda crazy with it and were carrying 2 or 3 guys on IR, but in general I was not specifically aware of anyone abusing the system and purposely LEAVING players on IR after they were cleared from the team’s injury report. It was mostly used to hold onto a player who had an injury which was already projected to be a longer term injury.

I personally want to protest this rule change because I think you should be able to hold onto higher profile players that are injured without having to drop a backup QB, TE, DEF, etc. in order to keep them. It’s one thing if you are dropping a late round sleeper pick to acquire a back up for the injured player, but you shouldn’t have to eat up all of your reserve spots in order to retain a player that’s injured for 3-6 weeks. Especially when the season is in full swing. I've won championships by claiming the big sleeper of the year early and holding on to them until they reach their potential later in the season (ex. Grant in 07, P. Thomas and Tyler Thigpen last year).

So anyway, how does your league use IR and do you think this rule change is unreasonable?
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Any replies are helpful to me guys, I'm going to link to this thread when I mention it to our league. Thanks!
Last edited by AngryLionsFAn on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: How does your league handle IR?

Postby spodog » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm

We have a pretty liberal I/R policy.

In addition to regular active roster spots, we have 4 I/R spots that owners can use. If a player is listed in any status of I/R by the team during the week (Out, Doubtful, Probable), then they are eligible to go on the I/R, thus freeing up an active roster spot.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mr.Joshua » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:51 am

I think that proposal from your commish sucks. Make him put it to a league vote and see what happens. We use 2 IR spots at any given time. Your player must be listed as either doubtful or out to be eligible for IR. Once he becomes questionable or better, you must drop either the injured player or the guy that you picked up for him. We are also adding a new twist - if you do an IR move, the player you pick up must start for your team that week. We hope it stops teams from abusing the IR and lessening the waiver wire talent.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:06 am

we dont use IR...we just have our set amount of bench spots. with that said i think the proposed rule change is stupid
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Yeah, I thought he was being unreasonable about this.

I'd appreciate any replies I can get about this guys. I plan on linking this thread when I email our group and ask for a vote on the issue. I want to find out how most leagues handle IR so I can use this as an argument for how we should be running ours.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 pm

AngryLionsFAn wrote:Yeah, I thought he was being unreasonable about this.

I'd appreciate any replies I can get about this guys. I plan on linking this thread when I email our group and ask for a vote on the issue. I want to find out how most leagues handle IR so I can use this as an argument for how we should be running ours.

In my leagues that have an IR slot (or slots), they work just like the NFL (and just like your commish is proposing). Once a player is put on IR they are done for the season. Sorry to disagree with everyone else, but I've never played in a league that allowed you to temporarily put a player on IR just to free up a roster spot. :-S That makes no sense to me and I think it takes a lot of the strategy away. Personally, I would never want to play that way. :-/

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Return to Commissioner's Corner