NFL Rules clarification - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Rules clarification

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL Rules clarification

Postby kickureface » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 am

if you are a corner and you are doing press coverage, can you pancake the WR?
if you are the wr and the corner is jamming you press coverage, can you pancake the corner?

when you are blocking someone (run block), can you push your opponent way past the line of scrimmage? what about before it is handed off?

when you are blocking someone for screen, can i run past the line of scrimmage and block those fellows? how about before the pass?

thanks
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL Rules clarification

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 am

Answer on the pancakes, yes. A pancake is just the end result of a block where the opponent falls down backwards and you fall on him. The probability of this happening with skill players like corners and WRs is unlikely given their athleticism, the force it takes to do this to someone, and their role in the play.

Answer on question 3, yes.

Answer on screen question: Under NFL rules, it is a foul when an ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, prior to a legal forward pass advances beyond the line of scrimmage after losing contact with an opponent at the line of scrimmage. The guidline for officials to use is the offending player must be more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage prior to the pass. So after the pass is thrown you can head on downfield to block but not before.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 204BC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Azrael is correct but there is a clarification on the first two questions that should be pointed out. If the ball is in the air, then no, you may not pancake your opponent unless you are making a move for the ball and the opponent simply gets in your way. If you pancake him on purpose and are not trying to catch the ball in the process that would be pass interference either way (offensive or defensive).
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:21 pm

NFL WRs are too fast to pancake. In order to build up that kind of momentum (speed) they would need to stand too far off the line of scrimmage. Whiff on that block and you're looking at an easy 6 points. As for a guy that can stand a yard or two off the LOS and pancake a guy, I don't think there is a single guy in the NFL that has that kind of upper body strength and can still run the 4.4 forty necessary to defend against NFL WRs. The best bump and run CBs succeed by staying with their bumps (holding inside the shoulder pads) and getting the WRs off their routes and throwing the QB off his time timing rather than outright knocking a guy down and getting him out of the play. Maybe against a Brandon Llord type weakling you can take him out of the play by maintaining your block, but I don't ever recall a WR getting knocked down at the LOS on a passing play.

Maybe Bruce Lee could do it with one of his one inch punches.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:02 pm

It is definitely illegal for any player to kickureface. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby kickureface » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:13 pm

thanks, so basically all answers are yes except thaT last one? what about if you are running 2 slants in and there is "incidental" contact running into the other slanters corner freeing him up?

that cleared a lot of stuff up, i was wondering if there was a rule since i never seen pancakes on WR before. couldn't the WR pancake the corner (pretending its a run play) and run up the field for a big pass gain?

also when yo usaid hold inside the shoulder pads, that means you must put ur hands on the front of his chest and not on the sides of his chest right?
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 pm

CB could theoretically pancake the WR, but as Kensat alluded to, it'd be a pointless high-risk low-reward play and I don't believe any CB in the NFL could do it either. If there was a Brock Lesnar sized behemoth that could run a 4.4, he'd be absolutely lethal and sure as heck wouldn't be playing corner WR really can't pancake CB on a pass play, if he did that it'd be called a "push off" and be interference....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Interesting.

Makes me wonder, why not just be blunt and send your 2 strongest corners to pancake Moss before he gets off the line?

If he goes in motion, just drop back into regular coverage.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:04 pm

2ksports wrote:Interesting.

Makes me wonder, why not just be blunt and send your 2 strongest corners to pancake Moss before he gets off the line?

If he goes in motion, just drop back into regular coverage.

A few reasons. First, the "pancake attempt" better work every play, which it probably won't. Second, you've just clearly wasted your 2 best corners for each play you do this, and the offense knows it. You're playing 10 v. 9; huge advantage offense.

Even 2 DB a yard off the LOS can't pancake Moss with one hit. They'd have to grab and drive him to do that (that's called holding). Also Moss probably just wouldn't let himself be hit by both DB; he'd step outside or inside off of the line of scrimmage to isolate on one DB. Would it make it easier to contain him? Yeah, but there's very little you can do strategy-wise defensively in the NFL when you are playing 9 v. 10....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:07 pm

kickureface wrote:
when you are blocking someone for screen, can i run past the line of scrimmage and block those fellows? how about before the pass?

thanks

Interesting to note and little known fact: there is no pass interference behind the LOS. So as a LB, if I see a screen coming, I can go and pancake the RB while the ball is in the air, even if the RB is the intended receiver. Lots of fun! B-)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Next

Return to Football Talk