Rivers and LT: mutually exclusive? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rivers and LT: mutually exclusive?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rivers and LT: mutually exclusive?

Postby poogums » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Are the chances of Philip Rivers and LT having great years mutually exclusive? There's a lot of debate surrounding LT this year (in decline, or rebounding from injury back to greatness), and there seems to be questions about Philip Rivers repeating with another awesome campaign. (Was he breaking out and coming into his own, or will the offense run through a healthy LT again?) People who seem to think Rivers will fall back to being a borderline top-10 QB seem to believe that because they see a Tomlinson renaissance. Conversely, LT doubters tend to like River's chances of being a surefire top-5 QB.

I don't want to start another LT thread (link below) because the current one is excellent, and if someone has already started a Rivers thread, please link:

viewtopic.php?t=438742

But does anybody think both players will be at the top of their positions?
poogums
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rivers and LT: mutually exclusive?

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 pm

I think that, in the division they play in (6 against 3 of the worst teams in the NFL), and with the overall talent on the Chargers, I see no reason why both can't excel in that offense and both finish in the top 5 at their respective positions.

Outside of their disvision their schedule is by no means a cake walk - NFC East & a 1st place Schedule, however, they do get Cinci (week 15) & Cleveland.

Weeks 6,7,8 - DEN, @ KC, OAK
Weeks 11,12,13 - @ DEN, KC, @ CLE

Strecthes like that are phenominal and are games in which the Chargers can drop 40+ easy. When that happens, chances are LT & Rivers are going to both make you happy.

I still see this offense running through Gates & LT. Jackson, Sproles, and Chambers are nice complmentary players, but Gates & LT are HoFers (and by all reports hungry and healthy).

What bolsters the Rivers/LT cause is the fact that LT is dynamic in the passing game.

I would be more than happy to have both on any of my squads.

Can't.Wait.For.Drafts.

8/30, 9/3, 9/6
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:52 pm

I have never believed in the theory that a good running game hurts the QB, or a good passing game hurts the RB. At least not dramatically. If those two positions don't produce, it is because they aren't very good - not because another position was playing too well.

There are, of course, exceptions when you talk about the offense philosophy. For example, the run and shoot isn't going to produce a great ground game, and the smashmouth style isn't going to produce a great QB. But if you have a good QB, you are typically going to see that philosophy evolve to utilize the strenghts of the personnel.

Think of Gannon in Oakland when they passed nearly every down. Garner was good, but better utilized as pass catcher. Look at Westbrook and Philly...they find a way to get him the ball even though they run less than any other team. Look at Pittsburgh...notorious for a smashmouth running game until Roethlisberger turns out to be better than FWP. Now they have a much more balanced offense. What if Arizona develops a good running game? <chuckle> Does Fitzgerald suddenly become the 10th best receiver? No...maybe he drops from ridiculous to great, but he's still going to have a superb year.

All that to say I think both Rivers and LT can and will be successful and productive. I personally believe neither will be top 5 at their position but both will be top 10.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:06 pm

I don't think that it is necessarily mutually exclusive...but I do think it's unlikely that they both have huge years. I am personally in the school of thought that LT will make a return back to a top tier RB this season and that Rivers will fall back a bit...not necessarily because he's going to be "worse" but because he put up such incredibly high numbers for the amount of attempts he had that it's unlikely that he'll repeat that performance with a similar or lower amount of attempts (which I think he'll have).

The problem is that SD wants to run the ball which hurts Rivers overall...they passed more than any other team in the NFL in the 4th quarter and Rivers still only had 478 attempts on the season. With their defense likely improved this season and running more at the end of games...chances are we won't see Rivers with a ton more attempts (if any more) than he did this season. I don't think Rivers will be a QB2 or anything...but I also don't think that he'll be a high QB1 and have him near the bottom of my top 10 rankings this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby breezyb » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:41 pm

mattb47 wrote:The problem is that SD wants to run the ball which hurts Rivers overall...they passed more than any other team in the NFL in the 4th quarter and Rivers still only had 478 attempts on the season. With their defense likely improved this season and running more at the end of games...chances are we won't see Rivers with a ton more attempts (if any more) than he did this season. I don't think Rivers will be a QB2 or anything...but I also don't think that he'll be a high QB1 and have him near the bottom of my top 10 rankings this year.

;-D

I think with the schedule and improved defense SD is a much better team than last year...Rivers will still be an excellent NFL qb...but his ff numbers will drop.
breezyb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 pm

breezyb wrote:
mattb47 wrote:The problem is that SD wants to run the ball which hurts Rivers overall...they passed more than any other team in the NFL in the 4th quarter and Rivers still only had 478 attempts on the season. With their defense likely improved this season and running more at the end of games...chances are we won't see Rivers with a ton more attempts (if any more) than he did this season. I don't think Rivers will be a QB2 or anything...but I also don't think that he'll be a high QB1 and have him near the bottom of my top 10 rankings this year.

;-D

I think with the schedule and improved defense SD is a much better team than last year...Rivers will still be an excellent NFL qb...but his ff numbers will drop.

Agreed- I'm more often to check a defense's strength and attempt to determine the opposition's offense to gauge a QB's and RB's prospects for the season, then their backfield partner.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 pm

There are no less than nine games in which a Charger score fest would not be surprising. I think LT could be out to prove that he isn't done, and Rivers has shown that he can be a...,um.., how you say.., a penis. So if the Bolts D is better and they get up on teams early, I can see them bludgeoning teams. Many points for all parties.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Timbathia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 am

I somehow ended up with both in my main league, as well as their defense. Hadnt intended it, but it somehow happened.

There is something about playing 6 games in the AFC West, as well as 4 against the AFC North that is appealing for the defense, and 8 of the games appealing for Rivers and LT.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk