Jets RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets RBs

Postby TheMaizeAndBlue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 am

With Thomas Jones on the wrong side of 30 and Leon Washington demanding a new contract and not a bell cow type of back anyways,is Shonn Greene a potential starting RB available after round 10 in many leagues?

Anybody with knowledge of the Jets RB situation care to enlighten the rest of us?
TheMaizeAndBlue
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets RBs

Postby Stelly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:53 am

Shonn Greene is a guy I'm going to be looking to draft late in my leagues, especially my keeper league. I don't expect him to take over full time duty this year (TJ and Leon will do that), but I think he has a chance to get some goalline carries, and postion himself for a starting role next season.

The Jets obviously like him alot, as they made a big move up the draft board to get him.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 am

If Greene isn't starting/getting a ton of time by mid way through the season, expect Greene to be the man in NY next year. TJ will be gone also next year.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby brett5673 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I have to say, out of all RB situations, I am most confused by this one, with Thomas jones trade talks and all
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 2ksports » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Not wasting a pick on any of these guys
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:42 pm

I'd take Greene around the 10th Rd. I guess Jones is top 50 but I'm afraid of him. Didn't Washington get a new contract?

Like others, I'm afraid of this whole situation, but Greene late seems like the best idea.
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Stelly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:If Greene isn't starting/getting a ton of time by mid way through the season, expect Greene to be the man in NY next year. TJ will be gone also next year.

Do you have any camp reports or anything you can show us that would support this, or is it just speculation on your part? (not trying to be accusatory - I'm just curious!) I think hearing what's going on right from camp could be really helpful to those of us trying to sort out the mess that is the Jets RB situation.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Gmazz06 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 pm

To be honest I don't see TJ being traded this year. I know he has the age against him but on the upside I've been to the OTA's and he still looks like a conditioned runner. This man has a similar work ethic like LT. He is in superb condition still and has added on 10 lbs before the start of preseason. Rex wants to run and although the foundation is set for Greene to take over, I don't think last year was a fluke. Pending the health of the offensive line I don't see why TJ won't have a solid year again. Leon wasn't signed to backup TJ he was signed because he is a play maker like Sproles. He might not put up top 5 numbers like last year but I truly don't see why he drops to the 4th or 5th rounds. I know history tells us to play it safe and pass on the 30 year old running back but on a team that is focused on running the ball, why would you?
Gmazz06
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:24 am

I though Shonn Green looked good in his first preseason game (Shonn Green clips from Preseason Week 1)

That said, I think people are one year early on Thomas Jones falling off a cliff. 2010 will be Green's year, 2009 belongs to TJ. I don't think Washington will be a factor as anything more than a 3rd down back.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 am

Stelly wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:If Greene isn't starting/getting a ton of time by mid way through the season, expect Greene to be the man in NY next year. TJ will be gone also next year.

Do you have any camp reports or anything you can show us that would support this, or is it just speculation on your part? (not trying to be accusatory - I'm just curious!) I think hearing what's going on right from camp could be really helpful to those of us trying to sort out the mess that is the Jets RB situation.

Just speculation on my part. All he does is complain about a new contract because last year he had a stellar year. He's making 900k this year (I think, not 100% sure), so he wants to get paid. The Jets are definitely not going to offer him a bigger contract after trading up to get Greene in the draft.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Next

Return to Football Talk