Plaxico Burress - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Plaxico Burress

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Plax Gets 2 Years

Postby Sex Panther » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Didn't he pass on a plea deal earlier this summer that would have amounted to less than 6 months jail time because he wanted to go to trial and fight this?

I don't what what's dumber - shooting one's self or agreeing to more prison time.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:17 pm

my guess is he only serves 6 months and will be playing for the Bengals or Raiders in 2010
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:11 pm

moochman wrote:Absolutely absurd. The state of NY should be ashamed. The letter of that law needs changing when it leads to such misjustice.

Were I Burress, I don't know that I could let this incident go without a lawsuit against the bar for not checking his weapon at the door.

agree with this... also a 2 year jail sentence? why? i understand he most likely won't serve all 2 years, but looking at the 'big three' of the bad boys in the past 2 years...

Vick - Served around 2 years for dog fighting + + +

Burress - now 'serving' 2 years for shooting himself, not shooting someone else or attempting or thinking about attempting any harm on anyone else

then there is this one:

Stallworth - what was it 2 months in jail? he killed a man while driving drunk, wether or not 'the pedestrian stepped into the road'. its still the principal of the fact that the 2 before him did wrong, but didn't kill another human being (vick in ways was just as morally bad) but he basically gets a slap on the wrists compared to the other to?

where does the law stand, and what does that say about the judicial system? trying to make statements about the other 2 because they were bigger name players at the time of their incidences or what?

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby recmccl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Very unfortunate, I would have liked to have gotten him from the FA pool as a fantasy owner. He probably would have been suspended for the NFL code of conduct rules anyway.

Personally though, he did put others at risk though at that nightclub when the gun went off.
recmccl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:42 pm

recmccl wrote:Very unfortunate, I would have liked to have gotten him from the FA pool as a fantasy owner. He probably would have been suspended for the NFL code of conduct rules anyway.

Personally though, he did put others at risk though at that nightclub when the gun went off.

he did i will agree with that, but he also so far has gotten the worse of the 3 player punishments, but yet he didn't actually hurt anyone or anything aside from himself....

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby iky » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:52 pm

What Plax did was stupid and dumb and funny. But two years upstate just to make an example out of the guy? That's right, state of NY should be ashamed of this verdict. People need to speak and do something. Stallworth killed a man! Vick killed and tortured animals multiple times and what sentences do they got? One is done after little over a year serving, another one just got off by saying sorry.
Last edited by iky on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:57 pm

recmccl wrote:Very unfortunate, I would have liked to have gotten him from the FA pool as a fantasy owner. He probably would have been suspended for the NFL code of conduct rules anyway.

That kind of cuts to the crux of it. Innocent people were endangered. But not by moron Plaxico. They weren't protected by the bar or the law. You don't protect a plane full of people by putting the guy with the bomb in prison. You do it by not letting the guy get in the plane in the first place. If NY really wanted to curb guns in bars they should have better measures inplace to keep them from ever getting in.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby recmccl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:08 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:

he did i will agree with that, but he also so far has gotten the worse of the 3 player punishments, but yet he didn't actually hurt anyone or anything aside from himself....

Totally agree with you. I feel Stallworth got away with murder. Stoned, drunk, and killed a man does not equal manslaughter to me. But the laws and settlement was what it was.
recmccl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Sentencing is Sept. 22nd. I'm (happily) not familiar enough with the legal system to know this: Is the sentence already set in stone, the sentencing is just the formality and to set the start date for his imprisonment?

BOOYA!! Gonzo and Wayne both w/ TDs. (sorry)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:56 pm

moochman wrote:Absolutely absurd. The state of NY should be ashamed. The letter of that law needs changing when it leads to such misjustice.

Were I Burress, I don't know that I could let this incident go without a lawsuit against the bar for not checking his weapon at the door.

I don't know, man. I don't know the state of crime in NY with illegal and/or unregistered hand guns, but I imagine it is pretty high. Jail sentences like this should deter petty criminals in some form or another. Or something. I don't know. Smarter lawyers and Department of Justice folks would extrapolate on this better than I.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk