Plaxico Burress - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Plaxico Burress

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Plax Gets 2 Years

Postby joejlitz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:59 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
moochman wrote:Absolutely absurd. The state of NY should be ashamed. The letter of that law needs changing when it leads to such misjustice.

Were I Burress, I don't know that I could let this incident go without a lawsuit against the bar for not checking his weapon at the door.

agree with this... also a 2 year jail sentence? why? i understand he most likely won't serve all 2 years, but looking at the 'big three' of the bad boys in the past 2 years...

Vick - Served around 2 years for dog fighting + + +

Burress - now 'serving' 2 years for shooting himself, not shooting someone else or attempting or thinking about attempting any harm on anyone else

then there is this one:

Stallworth - what was it 2 months in jail? he killed a man while driving drunk, wether or not 'the pedestrian stepped into the road'. its still the principal of the fact that the 2 before him did wrong, but didn't kill another human being (vick in ways was just as morally bad) but he basically gets a slap on the wrists compared to the other to?

where does the law stand, and what does that say about the judicial system? trying to make statements about the other 2 because they were bigger name players at the time of their incidences or what?

You're assuming that all the laws are the same, but with Vick, he committed a federal crime. Stallworth and Burress committed crimes against the state and all three are entitled due to their limited "sovereignty" to have their own laws and penalties on their own books.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 pm

moochman wrote:
recmccl wrote:Very unfortunate, I would have liked to have gotten him from the FA pool as a fantasy owner. He probably would have been suspended for the NFL code of conduct rules anyway.

Personally though, he did put others at risk though at that nightclub when the gun went off.

That kind of cuts to the crux of it. Innocent people were endangered. But not by moron Plaxico. They weren't protected by the bar or the law. You don't protect a plane full of people by putting the guy with the bomb in prison. You do it by not letting the guy get in the plane in the first place. If NY really wanted to curb guns in bars they should have better measures inplace to keep them from ever getting in.

Hmmmm... :-?
So how do you curb them from endangering the people on the street? What if the gun went off in the cab ride to the club? What if it went off as he crossed at the intersection? Or how about at the Waffle House? Cops don't have x-ray vision and Waffle Houses don't have metal detectors (nor should they). So I tend to put more blame on the individual who decided to shoot himself in the leg.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 pm

moochman wrote:Absolutely absurd. The state of NY should be ashamed. The letter of that law needs changing when it leads to such misjustice.

Agreed 1000% (not a typo). This is a prime example of why so many people have absolutely no faith in our justice system. Is Plax an idiot? Yes. Does he deserve to get punished? Yes...he broke the law. But 2 years in prison for THIS?!? Like mooch said: "Absolutely absurd." :-t %-6

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby sirchadwick1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:my guess is he only serves 6 months and will be playing for the Bengals or Raiders in 2010

Right on! Sounds about right... he should be joining one of those conviction clubs soon enough.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby iky » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:my guess is he only serves 6 months and will be playing for the Bengals or Raiders in 2010

He's actually going to server about 20 months of that sentence. That's weird to me, because here in California first time offenders only get %50 of the full sentence. I feel really bad for Plax.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 pm

iky wrote:

He's actually going to server about 20 months of that sentence. That's weird to me, because here in California first time offenders only get %50 of the full sentence. I feel really bad for Plax.

sure he will ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:33 pm

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:
recmccl wrote:Very unfortunate, I would have liked to have gotten him from the FA pool as a fantasy owner. He probably would have been suspended for the NFL code of conduct rules anyway.

Personally though, he did put others at risk though at that nightclub when the gun went off.

That kind of cuts to the crux of it. Innocent people were endangered. But not by moron Plaxico. They weren't protected by the bar or the law. You don't protect a plane full of people by putting the guy with the bomb in prison. You do it by not letting the guy get in the plane in the first place. If NY really wanted to curb guns in bars they should have better measures inplace to keep them from ever getting in.

Hmmmm... :-?
So how do you curb them from endangering the people on the street? What if the gun went off in the cab ride to the club? What if it went off as he crossed at the intersection? Or how about at the Waffle House? Cops don't have x-ray vision and Waffle Houses don't have metal detectors (nor should they). So I tend to put more blame on the individual who decided to shoot himself in the leg.

The law is to keep unregistered guns out of the bar. I have three issue with this. One, why allow any guns in at all? Two, why are registered guns in bars any safer? Three, why is the penalty so out of proportion to the offense?
To answer your question, the gun didn't go off in those other places. What ifs don't work well since it introduces way to many variables. The law is specific, stating no unregistered guns in the bars. So why aren't there mandatory check points with metal detectors and full body serches? It is like they place extra emphasis on the punitive side of the law becuase they knew there was no way they could pass a preventative law. Too expensive for businesses, no votes. Punish bad guys is always a good way to get votes. But it is not the better way to deter crime.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Wait...mooch...so you're saying he's getting mandatory jail time for having an unregistered weapon in a bar?

Not for having an unregistered hand gun in NYC?

Do you have a link to this or maybe this was already pointed out in this thread, but I didn't see it.?.?

This article says:
Burress pleaded guilty Thursday morning to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.

He was indicted earlier this month on criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment.

http://www.11alive.com/news/national/st ... 33&catid=5
I really don't think it has anything to do with bringing it in a bar. I think he would have gotten the same sentence had he shot himself in Times Square.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:16 am

ah, think I must have morphed the law into taking it into a social gathering spot. Regardless, the penalty is too stiff for the crime. I think a huge fine, community service and months in jail would have been much more effective. Two years in prison is not going to make Plax a better citizen, or NY a safer place as much as the money to fund programs, and the public service from a known personality.
Laws should be to best protect people, not to destroy idiots like Burress.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Silent Rob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:25 pm

You'd think shooting yourself would be punishment enough. 2 Years in prison... he should've had to dodge a car driven by stallworth while intoxicated... if he were to survive he should be able to walk free.
Silent Rob
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk