Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby rashan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Seems like every year owners whine and cry about other owners who take a long time making their draft picks.

I'm here to say those other owners who take their time are the smart ones.

As seemingly happens every single year, something happens during a draft which hurts a teams chance to win, which could have been easily avoided had the owner used the rules to his teams advantage and taken all his OTC time before making his pick.

For Example, yesterday when notified I was OTC I checked my cheat sheet for that league, saw that although I needed a QB, Chaz Shilens was the top value on my list, and made that pick within a minute or so. Then, a few hours later, Favre unretires and Shilens is seriously injured at practice.

If only I had waited a while to monitor the news and rethink my draft sheet, I would now have Favre and not a cripple WR. Of course, the owner picking after me did wait a dozen hours and then took Favre.

With all the injuries, suspensions, arrests and contract signings these days, all owners are only being the best fantasy owners possible by taking as long as they can under the rules to make their picks.
rashan
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 67
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby petedog9 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:34 pm

HUH?? How about going to a draft prepared and knowing the latest updates from players. Are you suggeting googling every player before you select him? If you have a well prepared ranking list and a basic flexible plan, you should be waiting for your turn to select with 3-4 solid prospects in line ready to take. If you are prepared enough on draft day, you know or have a good idea who you are selecting minutes before your tur. comes up... ;-D

In our live draft, we dont allow computers in the draft. Paper only. You can get your last minute updates but beofre the first selection is on the clock, all computers are off...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2964
Joined: 7 Nov 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Sacramento CA

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby vykeengfan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:39 pm

i personally try to make my decision as soon as the team before me picks, then immediately take my player. i'll have a few guys that i'm targeting, then just start crossing them off as they're being picked. if i'm left w/ more than one choice, i go w/ the best value. that puts pressure on the next person drafting, and i'm banking that they will screw up at least once, and that could make a difference.
vykeengfan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 674
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby rashan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 pm

petedog9 wrote:HUH?? How about going to a draft prepared and knowing the latest updates from players. Are you suggeting googling every player before you select him? If you have a well prepared ranking list and a basic flexible plan, you should be waiting for your turn to select with 3-4 solid prospects in line ready to take. If you are prepared enough on draft day, you know or have a good idea who you are selecting minutes before your tur. comes up... ;-D

In our live draft, we dont allow computers in the draft. Paper only. You can get your last minute updates but beofre the first selection is on the clock, all computers are off...

Going to what draft? What are you talking about?

I am talking about online SLOW drafts where owners have up to 24 hours to make their pick before they get skipped. Check out our Cafe Draftrooms for more info and examples of these slow drafts.
But yes, I AM recommending that anyone google for the latest news on any player they are going to pick if they can. Serious FFB players always due their due dilligence when possible.

As for live drafts, there is no better way to do it. Problem is that the owners who whine about another owner taking his time to make his pick are always the first ones to pooh-pooh the live draft.
rashan
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 67
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby sirchadwick1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Just in:

If you are smart, you will wait to draft until late August.

There are so many things that can change up until that point.

Sorry you got screwed on your draft, but taking all the time in the world isn't going to win you the season.

It's smart team management and reading as much as you can each week on your players, FA's, upcoming matchups, etc.

EDIT: 24 hours to make a pick? That's insane... I'd never join that league.
Last edited by sirchadwick1 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1368
Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:45 pm

niche drafts FTL
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby rashan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:46 pm

vykeengfan wrote:i personally try to make my decision as soon as the team before me picks, then immediately take my player. i'll have a few guys that i'm targeting, then just start crossing them off as they're being picked. if i'm left w/ more than one choice, i go w/ the best value. that puts pressure on the next person drafting, and i'm banking that they will screw up at least once, and that could make a difference.

That might work in a live draft, but in a slow draft, making your pick immediately only potentially increases your chance of messing up while putting no pressure on the guy drafting after you since he has 24 hours or so to make his pick.
rashan
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 67
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby sirchadwick1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 pm

rashan wrote:
vykeengfan wrote:i personally try to make my decision as soon as the team before me picks, then immediately take my player. i'll have a few guys that i'm targeting, then just start crossing them off as they're being picked. if i'm left w/ more than one choice, i go w/ the best value. that puts pressure on the next person drafting, and i'm banking that they will screw up at least once, and that could make a difference.

That might work in a live draft, but in a slow draft, making your pick immediately only potentially increases your chance of messing up while putting no pressure on the guy drafting after you since he has 24 hours or so to make his pick.


I don't get it. If everyone takes 24 hours to make his/her pick, how do all spots fill up in time to start the season? You make it through 3 rounds in 30 days?
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1368
Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:06 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:
rashan wrote:
vykeengfan wrote:i personally try to make my decision as soon as the team before me picks, then immediately take my player. i'll have a few guys that i'm targeting, then just start crossing them off as they're being picked. if i'm left w/ more than one choice, i go w/ the best value. that puts pressure on the next person drafting, and i'm banking that they will screw up at least once, and that could make a difference.

That might work in a live draft, but in a slow draft, making your pick immediately only potentially increases your chance of messing up while putting no pressure on the guy drafting after you since he has 24 hours or so to make his pick.


I don't get it. If everyone takes 24 hours to make his/her pick, how do all spots fill up in time to start the season? You make it through 3 rounds in 30 days?

Maybe we can start drafting for 2010 ;-D

or maybe, if you know the other person is not going to draft for 24 hours, you could actually take 47 hours to make your pick and get even more up to date info ;-7

Dan Lambskin wrote:niche drafts FTL

;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15306
(Past Year: 60)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby rashan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:
rashan wrote:
vykeengfan wrote:i personally try to make my decision as soon as the team before me picks, then immediately take my player. i'll have a few guys that i'm targeting, then just start crossing them off as they're being picked. if i'm left w/ more than one choice, i go w/ the best value. that puts pressure on the next person drafting, and i'm banking that they will screw up at least once, and that could make a difference.

That might work in a live draft, but in a slow draft, making your pick immediately only potentially increases your chance of messing up while putting no pressure on the guy drafting after you since he has 24 hours or so to make his pick.


I don't get it. If everyone takes 24 hours to make his/her pick, how do all spots fill up in time to start the season? You make it through 3 rounds in 30 days?
Exactly. I'm in one new Dynasty League which started round 1 back in March and it is just finishing up.
The idea is that you take your time while others rush giving you a competitive advantage. Additionally, if the draft takes too much time to finish before the season, usually the last rounds are done live, which is the best way to do it anyhew.

Slow drafts are well, slow and are actually tougher than Live drafts because you continuously need to do new research and update your cheat sheets for each and every pick, usually days to weeks apart.
rashan
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 67
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:34 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact