Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Drafting? Take your entire allotted time if you are smart.

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm

rashan wrote:
sirchadwick1 wrote:
rashan wrote:That might work in a live draft, but in a slow draft, making your pick immediately only potentially increases your chance of messing up while putting no pressure on the guy drafting after you since he has 24 hours or so to make his pick.

I don't get it. If everyone takes 24 hours to make his/her pick, how do all spots fill up in time to start the season? You make it through 3 rounds in 30 days?
Exactly. I'm in one new Dynasty League which started round 1 back in March and it is just finishing up.
The idea is that you take your time while others rush giving you a competitive advantage. Additionally, if the draft takes too much time to finish before the season, usually the last rounds are done live, which is the best way to do it anyhew.

Slow drafts are well, slow and are actually tougher than Live drafts because you continuously need to do new research and update your cheat sheets for each and every pick, usually days to weeks apart.

The slow draft is nice though for owners that don't want to set aside 3 hours consecutively for drafting. Also, drafts where it takes each owner 24 hours to make the pick suck boo....

I've done "slow" drafts where the entire draft was done in a couple weeks. If people regularly check their team I've been able to run through an entire round (or round and a half) in a day (about 20 picks or so...). In this case it's nice because you don't have to plan for the draft, and it can still get done in a couple weeks....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rashan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:15 pm

dream_017 wrote:
sirchadwick1 wrote:
rashan wrote:That might work in a live draft, but in a slow draft, making your pick immediately only potentially increases your chance of messing up while putting no pressure on the guy drafting after you since he has 24 hours or so to make his pick.

I don't get it. If everyone takes 24 hours to make his/her pick, how do all spots fill up in time to start the season? You make it through 3 rounds in 30 days?

Maybe we can start drafting for 2010 ;-D

or maybe, if you know the other person is not going to draft for 24 hours, you could actually take 47 hours to make your pick and get even more up to date info ;-7

Dan Lambskin wrote:niche drafts FTL

;-D

Now you're thinking, although it doesn't work that way since you never know when that person before you is going to pick. Best thing to do is just wait for your Cafe PM, check off the players taken since your last pick from your cheat sheets, and then start your research on your top cheat sheet players according to value and team need.

niche drafts FTC :-D
rashan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby petedog9 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Wow.. Talk about watching paint dry.. No Thanks!

Live draft is the way to go.. I hate online live drafting let alone snail drafting that starts in March.. YAWN! Thats doesnt seem like fun to me..
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rashan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:24 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
rashan wrote:
sirchadwick1 wrote:
Exactly. I'm in one new Dynasty League which started round 1 back in March and it is just finishing up.
The idea is that you take your time while others rush giving you a competitive advantage. Additionally, if the draft takes too much time to finish before the season, usually the last rounds are done live, which is the best way to do it anyhew.

Slow drafts are well, slow and are actually tougher than Live drafts because you continuously need to do new research and update your cheat sheets for each and every pick, usually days to weeks apart.

The slow draft is nice though for owners that don't want to set aside 3 hours consecutively for drafting. Also, drafts where it takes each owner 24 hours to make the pick suck boo....

I've done "slow" drafts where the entire draft was done in a couple weeks. If people regularly check their team I've been able to run through an entire round (or round and a half) in a day (about 20 picks or so...). In this case it's nice because you don't have to plan for the draft, and it can still get done in a couple weeks....

That happens sometimes, but then is usually followed by someone who goes on vacation or loses their internet or PC and takes two days to pick. I've NEVER been in a league of 10-12 owners where a full team Slow draft took less than a month and a half or more.

Can't see much of a difference between an owner who sets up a pre-draft priority pick list for a live draft and then just lets the system autodraft for his team, versus someone who sets up that same list and just quickly picks the top player when their turn comes to pick in a slow draft? And, since you can wait till the week before the season starts to do a live draft, the guy who does the autodraft live draft might actually end up with a better team than the guy whose list is months old?
rashan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby fezzik » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Slow drafts as you speak are pretty common fare over in Cafe baseball leagues, though I'd say 12 hours to pick is more common. We did a 27 round draft in about 5 weeks and we had 24-hour pick windows. However, if someone was purposely taking all or most of that allotted time, they would be heckled mercilessly and would most likely not be invited back to the league the following season. The large window was only for necessary convenience (people worked, many at different times, one league member lived on the other side of the world, etc.). Luckily, nobody in my league thought like you...it would have sucked. :-t

My mindset is the exact opposite. You should know exactly who you're going to pick when it's your turn. There is no excuse to hold things up with that amount of time between picks. Your rationale of "so and so might get injured and alter my choice" is erroneous. Erroneous on all counts!

I see slow drafts in football being less worthwhile, considering all the changes that take place in preseason. MLB rosters and depth charts are not as volatile during spring training.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:30 pm

If you use tier system, you should know within the 1st 5 seconds...
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk