Trading picks Pre-Draft?? Possible on Yahoo or no? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading picks Pre-Draft?? Possible on Yahoo or no?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading picks Pre-Draft?? Possible on Yahoo or no?

Postby dabearsaregreat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 pm

We have our draft coming up and already decided our draft order. Many managers do not like their pick and would possibly trade their 1st round pick for someone elses 2nd and 7th round picks for example. Is it possible to do this on yahoo??? I can't think of how we could pull it off.
dabearsaregreat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trading picks Pre-Draft?? Possible on Yahoo or no?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm fairly sure it can't be done on Yahoo. In most Yahoo leagues, the draft order is randomly determined 30 min before the draft. And since Yahoo leagues don't process trades that quickly (usually takes a few days), there's no reason for them to have something like this built into their system. So even if picks could be traded, if the trade followed the same guidelines as regular in-season player trades, the trade wouldn't take effect fast enough to be implemented before the draft begins.

The only solution I can think of would be to agree to trades now, then during the draft have the two teams trading picks direct each other on who to take when the pick they traded for came up, and finally trade the players who were selected with those picks after the draft.

A lot of things could go wrong in that process. You'd have to have a trustworthy league capable of carrying that all out.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:39 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:I'm fairly sure it can't be done on Yahoo. In most Yahoo leagues, the draft order is randomly determined 30 min before the draft. And since Yahoo leagues don't process trades that quickly (usually takes a few days), there's no reason for them to have something like this built into their system. So even if picks could be traded, if the trade followed the same guidelines as regular in-season player trades, the trade wouldn't take effect fast enough to be implemented before the draft begins.

The only solution I can think of would be to agree to trades now, then during the draft have the two teams trading picks direct each other on who to take when the pick they traded for came up, and finally trade the players who were selected with those picks after the draft.

A lot of things could go wrong in that process. You'd have to have a trustworthy league capable of carrying that all out.

well i know you can in the offseason, but i agree i don't think you can if the order is randomly generated because your commish has to input the traded picks into the teams draft picks before the draft. yahoo doesn't have a feature tho where (just like MJD for LT) you can trade #1/#10 for #2/#7 in a 'trade proposal'. like in our keeper league through the year and in the offseason if trades are made lets say like LT/#5 for Gore/#1, then they swap the players right then and there, but our league has their own website and the picks are documented, then the next year when the league is created and draft order installed the commish takes the #5 pick and puts it on 'Gores team" and takes the #1 pick and puts it on 'LTs team'. but obviously in our league as well as pretty much all other league the picks have to be balanced because yahoo won't let your league draft if the picks are uneven. hope this helps!

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jai » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 am

Since the draft order has already been determined then yes, the commish can make any changes to the draft order in Yahoo.
Jai
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 2ksports » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:37 pm

dabearsaregreat wrote:We have our draft coming up and already decided our draft order. Many managers do not like their pick and would possibly trade their 1st round pick for someone elses 2nd and 7th round picks for example. Is it possible to do this on yahoo??? I can't think of how we could pull it off.

Yes, you can.

Yahoo! upgrades it's interface every year. Being able to put anybody at any position in any round is one of the features this year. Yahoo! has hands down the best interface for commissioners right now.

I've uploaded this to my server: http://resopollution.com/yahoointerface.png
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:18 pm

2ksports wrote:
dabearsaregreat wrote:We have our draft coming up and already decided our draft order. Many managers do not like their pick and would possibly trade their 1st round pick for someone elses 2nd and 7th round picks for example. Is it possible to do this on yahoo??? I can't think of how we could pull it off.

Yes, you can.

Yahoo! upgrades it's interface every year. Being able to put anybody at any position in any round is one of the features this year. Yahoo! has hands down the best interface for commissioners right now.

That is true, but I think all managers must have the same number of draft picks.
heyeaglefn
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 pm

heyeaglefn wrote:
2ksports wrote:

Yes, you can.

That is true, but I think all managers must have the same number of draft picks.

Depends what you mean. When the dust clears, every manager must have the same number of picks/players. But the commish can also slot keeper players in place of any pick. So it is possible one team could have 15 keepers and 1 actual draft pick while another team had 15 draft picks and 1 keeper player.

If you have a use case where you'd want teams to end up with different numbers of players when the draft ends, help me understand it.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby LTF84 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
heyeaglefn wrote:
2ksports wrote:
Yes, you can.

Depends what you mean. When the dust clears, every manager must have the same number of picks/players. But the commish can also slot keeper players in place of any pick. So it is possible one team could have 15 keepers and 1 actual draft pick while another team had 15 draft picks and 1 keeper player.

If you have a use case where you'd want teams to end up with different numbers of players when the draft ends, help me understand it.

I was hoping someone could clear this up for me, because I've been running a keeper league on the free Yahoo leagues for a few years now and we're trying to figure out a way to allow for draft pick trades this year to spice things up.

So basically: any draft pick trade (for example, a team wanting to trade out of the first round for say a 3rd and 4th round pick for example) can be done as long as it's one pick for one pick, two picks for two picks, etc... because every team must have the same number of picks at the end of the day for the interface to work, right?

So, theoretically, a team could trade up for three first rounders, but only as long as the teams he trades with get back an equal number of draft picks (regardless of round) in replacement, correct?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I understand how this works now but just wanted to make for sure that I wasn't setting myself up for failure.
LTF84
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Football Talk