Yahoo Salary Cap Football - Value Picks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo Salary Cap Football - Value Picks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo Salary Cap Football - Value Picks

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:42 am

I can't believe we don't have a thread on this already with the start of the season approaching so fast!

What are your picks that you feel are undervalued to start the season. Getting a player vastly undervalued (like Michael Turner last year & Marques Colston the year before) is the sure fire way to win your league. Let's hear your value guys.

A few guys that I like:
- DeSean Jackson (WR)
- Steven Hauschka (Baltimore's kicker)
- Greg Olson (TE)
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo Salary Cap Football - Value Picks

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:17 am

It's likely that when you look back on the season, you would have been able to build a stud team with half the cap space. For example, last year in my auction league people got guys like Calvin Johnson for $7, Forte $9, Chris Johnson for $3, Kurt Warner for $1, DeAngelo for $8. If you follow the drafting logic, Chris Henry will likely be a very cheap WR, probably a $1. McGahee, though he may not start, he'll play alot and be cheap. Julius Jones will be very cheap. I think you could likely load up on those mid round starting backs that are falling for very decent value and also nail top WR and QB talent. A guy like Braylon Edwards will have good value.

It seems to me that people spend so much money on getting a starting lineup filled (if you look at mocks in magazines) that any player typically drafted in the 2nd half of a draft, say like 11th round and beyond likely all have $2 or $1 value, so you can get much more out of that part of the draft. While some guys may spend 80% of their cap to get 3 first rounders on their team, if you spend prudently, you may be able to build a real solid team with all 4th-8th rounders (just a guess). Guys like Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Palmer, or whoever else you like, take on even MORE value than in a draft because while these guys can get snapped up in the 8th and 9th rounds by people who already have starters, those same guys in an auction aren't going to want to spend a whole lot on them if they've invest $20-30 or whatever into a Rodgers or Peyton. You may be able to get those guys as a starter for $2 or $3, which in translation, turns into like 14th round value in a draft.

I love auction leagues. It's so much more dynamic and strategic than a draft but if you are with a bunch of guys that all they ever know is a draft, it's pretty darn hard to break that mental barrier that "I'd have no idea what to do in an auction" "I'm afraid I won't like it" "I'm afraid of messing up and making mistakes and throwing my money away"
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for the insight on auction leagues. However, this thread is for Yahoo Salary Cap Football...
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:49 am

Sorry, I've only known Salary Cap = Auction Leagues. What do they do assign each guy a $ value and then you draft with a cap?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Yes. That's exactly what it is (Yahoo Salary Cap). Everyone has $100 (million) to fill out a roster. Each NFL player is assigned a salary to begin the season which fluctuates after every game depending on how well / poorly they play. The key to start the season is to find those players that are undervalued and lock them in at a very cheap price.

For example:
Matt Forte was assigned a value of $12.35. Meanwhile, guys like Thomas Jones ($13.71) and Brandon Jacobs ($15.65) are being sold for a much higher price. Obviously the value pick here is Matt Forte.

The key is to lock in Matt Forte now at a minimal price of $12.35 because a week or two into the season, that value could be up around $15+.
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:40 pm

i think the reason there isnt already a thread is that nobody really plays it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Really? What a shame! More people should try it. I've been doing it for many years and love the strategy involved. ;-D
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:22 pm

I paly H2H sports salary cap pretty much every year - I always end up spending more then I win, stupid "trades" cost like $3.00 a piece.

http://www.head2head.com/index.cgi?originated=FND
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager