Keep an eye on Philly defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keep an eye on Philly defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keep an eye on Philly defense

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:03 pm

They've been shredded the first 2 weeks in limited action against opponents' first teams. It was Brady and Manning too but they looked really bad. I'm sure it'll take some time to get acclimated to the new DC but losing JJ, Dawkins, Sheppard, and Bradley all in one fell swoop might also have exposed them.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keep an eye on Philly defense

Postby 2ksports » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:08 pm

All I can think is to move McNabb up my draft board.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Purple1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Yeah they were really solid for me last year......this year I'm shying away.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sirchadwick1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm

2ksports wrote:All I can think is to move McNabb up my draft board.

From FFToday...

Philadelphia Eagles � The highly touted offensive line has had no opportunity to gel as most of the starters are dinged up. Shawn Andrews is still out with back issues and Jason Peters has a quad injury. Brian Westbrook is no longer on the sideline as he has returned to limited practice. LeSean McCoy continues to impress and his TCH turned into 55 yards on 10 carries against the Pats, most of which came on runs of five to seven yards. McCoy is being credited as an elusive runner, accomplished pass receiver and he even has blitz blocking down. DeSean Jackson has been eating up his own secondary while Jeremy Maclin is envisioned to line up on the opposite side. Maclin and Avant appear to be battling for the slot with Curtis getting number two. Brent Celek is out with a separated shoulder. Lorenzo Booker may be looking for new employment with rookie Eldra Buckley catching the coach�s eye. Oh �and Michael Vick is now nipping at Donovan McNabb�s heels. Coverage is all Vick all the time.

Wonder what this is all about.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Purple1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:57 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:

From FFToday...

Philadelphia Eagles � The highly touted offensive line has had no opportunity to gel as most of the starters are dinged up. Shawn Andrews is still out with back issues and Jason Peters has a quad injury. Brian Westbrook is no longer on the sideline as he has returned to limited practice. LeSean McCoy continues to impress and his TCH turned into 55 yards on 10 carries against the Pats, most of which came on runs of five to seven yards. McCoy is being credited as an elusive runner, accomplished pass receiver and he even has blitz blocking down. DeSean Jackson has been eating up his own secondary while Jeremy Maclin is envisioned to line up on the opposite side. Maclin and Avant appear to be battling for the slot with Curtis getting number two. Brent Celek is out with a separated shoulder. Lorenzo Booker may be looking for new employment with rookie Eldra Buckley catching the coach�s eye. Oh �and Michael Vick is now nipping at Donovan McNabb�s heels. Coverage is all Vick all the time.

They Only had 1 starter on the O-line going last night....not good. It is preseason so it could just be precautionary but it still makes me nervous.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm

The O-Line injuries are pretty scary:

Shawn Andrews: "back injury" that shows no structural damage but he hasn't come close to practicing. hmm... 2 possibilities: either he's being a baby (unlikely) or there's somethign wrong and docs can't figure out what it is (bad). Also suffers from depression, which naturally makes him unreliable (not that I'm saying he's a pansy because he has depression; depression is a serious thing and whether he can play 16 games is always up in the air....)

Herremans: won't be back until near the opener (that's the prognosis right now)

Peters: hasn't practiced since injuring his left quad, though it sounds like he should be able to get back to practicing soon (hopefully), though Mohrninweg (sp?) seems to indicate he's already behind in terms of cohesiveness with McNabb/Westbrook (comments about struggling with timing McNabb's snap count, etc...)

Stacy Andrews: "no lock to start week 1" according to Reid. Also coming off ACL surgery so he won't be what he was with Cincy.

All in all, not good..
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:44 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:

From FFToday...

and back down he goes...
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:00 pm

My biggest concern with the Philly defense is the linebackers. Losing Bradley for the year hurts.

I think it is tough to view the first two preseason games as an indication of this defense, they have not really been blitizing and so they have not gotten much of a pass rush.

Also, their top pash rusher has been out, and they have played Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and they have a new Defensive Coordinator.

I still think they are a top 10 defense, but not an elite one.
heyeaglefn
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:47 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:

From FFToday...

Are we sure they weren't just trying to find away to insert a bad pun. Vick nipping at his heels? All McNabb need do is roll up a newspaper...

Hey it's early, but when you can explain why a D is struggling, there is legitimate cause for concern.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby eaglesfan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:17 pm

They have no pass rush right now because Cole is out.....that's one problem.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker