Round of my LIFE (Golf) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Round of my LIFE (Golf)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Round of my LIFE (Golf)

Postby SniperShot » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 pm

So I know there have to be some golfers here at the cafe. Today was an epic round for the ages. I hit some sick shots and sank so many putts, one of those days where EVERY aspect of my game was spot on. Drives 270 yards dead straight, solid iron play and crazy good pitching/chipping and good putting.

I play lots of golf in the summer. I play with a couple friendly leagues at a couple different courses around my house in VA and with a teaching pro I know in Connecticut. I play about once a week or so from about April-September and usually around August and September I have a round where everything comes together, today was that round and I STILL felt like I left shots on the table. Around this time last year I shot a 79 on 18 holes on a regulation course, which was 7 over par for that course. (A par 72) I never thought I'd touch a round even NEAR that for a long time. Today I smoked it by 2 strokes, shot a 77 on a par 71. 6 strokes over par. Zomg!

And that was with a triple bogey on a hole on the back nine. (rofl so stupid, drive was like 60 yard wiff and second shot was shanked into the woods...) Other than that I was playing SUPER solid all day today. Shots from 170 yards sticking to within 5 feet, both the 550 yard par 5's on in 2... I still can't believe how well everything worked today. 9 times out of 10 one aspect of the game is missing. Either I'm crap off the tee or the putting is gone or both or a combination of other things...

Today was pretty amazing all around. The course is pretty easy I don't know the slope/course ratings exactly but it's just a public course like 6500 some odd yards that I'm pretty used to- but still a 77!!! I have an average handicap of around 15 or 16, a round of 86 or something is where I typically shoot. (Pretty much bogey golf on a moderate golf course) But dude, occasionally crazy sick days like this roll around and it's SWEET. Starts getting me an itch to enter a few tournaments. Sadly the summer always seems to end too fast and I usually don't swing a club after late September until April or May of the following year... I won a couple small junior tournaments when I was in high school but never played for my school or for college, dunno why, maybe I never really thought of myself as that good and I also didn't put in as much time as everyone else I knew who played hardcore. You have to play like 3 times a week at least and have LOADS of money to enter events and pay for everything...

Golf is a fun game and a great way to get outside and meet people, it can get kinda expensive really fast though. I'm super lucky my Dad is great friends with a golf pro who gets me out for FREE all the time at good courses... Between the lessons I get from him and the deals he cuts for me to get out at the various country clubs I play it it saves me like 2k a year at least.

Anyone else have any great golf stories/scores to share?
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Round of my LIFE (Golf)

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:50 pm

I played Friday in a 4 man Vegas format for a Firefighter fundraiser. My handicap is somewhere around 18-20 range, and I was the strongest player in the group so I knew we were not going to shoot anything too impressive. My cart-partner is a local kid who has played golf (including this round) a total of 3 times. However, none of that mattered as by the time we finished 4 holes he was on his way back to the cart with the second round of 8 cans of beer for the two of us - and a total of 21 beer were consumed between the two of us (and probably somewhere around 14 for the other two) by the end of the round... :-B

I finished the day off at my brother's bar and I think my total beer consumption for the day cracked the 24 mark - needless to say I woke up a little hungover this morning...

My personal best is 84 on a par-72 and I have done that twice, once a few years ago and once earlier this year - not bad for someone who only hits driver around 200-230 yards...

Personal best streak is 3 birdies in a row - did that twice (once was in that round of 84 from a few years back) and 6 pars straight (separate occasion).

And I had a hole-in-one a little over ten years ago...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:15 am

I love to get out and play, definitely my favorite sport to play - it's just far too expensive. If I could putt, I'd probably be a pretty damn good golfer, I drive the ball on a frozen rope right at about 300 yards (I think I hit one 315 once, but don't usually go much over 305), hit my irons beautifully - 7 iron from 145 out hits 15 feet past the hole and roles back within 8 and then...crash. and. burn. I can be on in two and still leave with a double bogey. :-°

edit: if you ever need a scramble partner I'm your man though. :-b ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SniperShot » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Yeah putting and short game is so important. I've never ever had a hole in one that's awesome!
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:21 pm

Awesome work man, I could never dream of shooting in the 70's let alone the 80's or even the 90's.....now that I think about it I shoot about it I really suck. :-B

Really I just don't get out enough. :,-(
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I"d be lucky to hit a 70 on the front nine

Good round man, now you have a new goal to shoot for ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby SniperShot » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Metroid wrote:Awesome work man, I could never dream of shooting in the 70's let alone the 80's or even the 90's.....now that I think about it I shoot about it I really suck. :-B

Really I just don't get out enough. :,-(
It's all about getting out there. I've been lucky this year to play once and sometimes twice a week which really makes a huge difference.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:04 pm

I love palying golf. Been playing 6 months. you can play here year round. My best score so far is a 109. Not anywhere near what you all have discussed but only played for a short time. This fall I am starting some lessions with a golf pro at the local club. My biggest issue is chili dipping about 12 shots every round.

My worst holes are the par 3's as my accuracey sucks. I can get the distance pretty good but can't get on the green. Got one lucky shot once and put it 6 inches from the hole for my only birdie ever. Best holes are par 5's Hit driver then my 7 iron the rest of the way. Get on the green and 2 putt.

Spend a lot of time practicing chipping and putting and can do pretty well. Everyone has told me that is place where you can help your game.

My other problem is keeping my head down. I€ have to get someone to tell me where my ball goes when I keep my head down cause I can't catchthe ball flight when keeping my head down. Can't get the timing down for seeing where my ball goes.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:40 pm

The round of my life, I am about a 14 handicap, came a few summers ago. It started, like many a great day, just like any other.
For me, that would be with a bogey on the first. Nice drive, on in two, 3 putted. Arrggg. Darn three-putts. #2, a par 3. Bogey. Right on pace for my 14 handicap. Then, all of a sudden, with no warning, my game came together. I birdie the next hole, par out to the par 5 9th. 515 yard sharp dogleg. Nail my drive over the treetops, just over. Second within 10 yards, almost chip in and tap in birdie---Pared the front nine. Followed with a 42 for a total and personal best 78.
To make it better, it was a league game against the 2nd best team (we were 7th) So sweet was that round that beer tasted better for a week.
Golf is the greatest game there is. No other game have I played where I walk away remembering the best shot I hit, rather than my mistakes. It is the only sport where you will hit shots and know that a pro could do no better...mind you, that doesn't happen often. But it happens.

Congratz on your round. It's a beautiful thang. ;-D ;-D ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm probably a 35 handicap or so and almost never get to play a round of 18, just don't have the time, heck I've never birdied a hole yet. I usually shoot 52-54 on 9. I only got out about 5 times this year. But I agree when you really suck at it all it takes is to sink a huge putt or chip one on for a tap in to make your day.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to General Talk