Poll: College football or the NFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Poll: College football or the NFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

College or Pro... what gets you fired up?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:28 am

College Football?
17%
Nfl?
83%

Total votes : 30

Re: Poll: College football or the NFL?

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 am

PuntinFool wrote:NFL is for those who like football...

That's funny , I was going to say that college football is for those who like football...those who want to watch kids playing for the love of the game and not some over-inflated paycheck. :-?

Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL...hell I love all football, I watch local high school ball when I can. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PuntinFool » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 am

Metroid wrote:

That's funny , I was going to say that college football is for those who like football...those who want to watch kids playing for the love of the game and not some over-inflated paycheck. :-?

Hey, be careful when taking things out of context! If I left it at 'NFL is for those who like football.' period, then that would be a terribly erroneous assumption. That statement only works with the clip you cut off "... *and* either didn't have a real allegiance to their college team or have moved on from those wild and crazy days."
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 am

PuntinFool wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Hey, be careful when taking things out of context! If I left it at 'NFL is for those who like football.' period, then that would be a terribly erroneous assumption. That statement only works with the clip you cut off "... *and* either didn't have a real allegiance to their college team or have moved on from those wild and crazy days."

Context? What context? Adding, "...and either didn't have a real allegiance to their college team or have moved on from those wild and crazy days." doesn't add anything to saying "NFL is for those who like football." And removing it doesn't subtract from it either, it's a statement all on it's own. You basically combined three separate statements about why people like the NFL more that college, I simply quoted the first. They could have stood all alone as...

NFL is for those who like football. NFL is for those who don't have a real allegiance to their college team. NFL is for those who have moved of from their wild college days.

Are you not saying NFL is for those who like football? Or did I miss some hidden meaning in the "context?"
Metroid

Postby PuntinFool » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:36 am

Metroid wrote:
PuntinFool wrote:
Metroid wrote:That's funny , I was going to say that college football is for those who like football...those who want to watch kids playing for the love of the game and not some over-inflated paycheck. :-?

Context? What context? Adding, "...and either didn't have a real allegiance to their college team or have moved on from those wild and crazy days." doesn't add anything to saying "NFL is for those who like football." And removing it doesn't subtract from it either, it's a statement all on it's own. You basically combined three separate statements about why people like the NFL more that college, I simply quoted the first. They could have stood all alone as...

NFL is for those who like football. NFL is for those who don't have a real allegiance to their college team. NFL is for those who have moved of from their wild college days.

Are you not saying NFL is for those who like football? Or did I miss some hidden meaning in the "context?"

Well, I wasn't just trying to say NFL is for those who like football, because that'd be the obvious statement of the year. The next thing I'll say is Hershey bars are for those who like chocolate and Earth is for those who like air. Anyone disagree?

All I was reacting to is the fact that your original segment quote made it sound like I didn't think college football was for those who liked football, which your reply seemed to imply to me. This is untrue, as I agree with you, college football has a more pure football fan at heart. I was implying that, to me, most people like the NFL more if they weren't a diehard fan during their college days. Given the topic we're discussing in, I thought this distinction might shed some light on the current poll results. The three statements (or at least the first two) need to go together to give my post any kind of weight. When separate, they sound inaccurate and overly presumptuous in my mind.

Perhaps I should've changed the 'and' to a 'who' for better clarification. Semantics is the enemy.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:21 am

PuntinFool wrote:
Metroid wrote:
PuntinFool wrote:Hey, be careful when taking things out of context! If I left it at 'NFL is for those who like football.' period, then that would be a terribly erroneous assumption. That statement only works with the clip you cut off "... *and* either didn't have a real allegiance to their college team or have moved on from those wild and crazy days."

Well, I wasn't just trying to say NFL is for those who like football, because that'd be the obvious statement of the year. The next thing I'll say is Hershey bars are for those who like chocolate and Earth is for those who like air. Anyone disagree?

All I was reacting to is the fact that your original segment quote made it sound like I didn't think college football was for those who liked football, which your reply seemed to imply to me. This is untrue, as I agree with you, college football has a more pure football fan at heart. I was implying that, to me, most people like the NFL more if they weren't a diehard fan during their college days. Given the topic we're discussing in, I thought this distinction might shed some light on the current poll results. The three statements (or at least the first two) need to go together to give my post any kind of weight. When separate, they sound inaccurate and overly presumptuous in my mind.

Perhaps I should've changed the 'and' to a 'who' for better clarification. Semantics is the enemy.

Semantics is indeed the enemy. When I first read that, and every time I've read it since, I read it as you saying the NFL is for those who like football, implying that college is for those who don't. Nothing that was written after that changed how it read to me.

Whatever, your position above is much more clear. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:26 pm

definately NFL...although i would say the Fantasy aspect is a large part of it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk