Percy Harvin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Percy Harvin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Percy Harvin

Postby abrunn11 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 am

This guy is absolutely electric, he reminds me of a young Steve Smith (Carolina). This guy has a gear that not many people have. Listening to an interview with him he brushed on them having a wildcat package for him. You can just tell that this guy is going to be something special. Harvin should be on your radar.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Percy Harvin

Postby Purple1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:29 am

Yeah hes gonna get a lot of oppertunitys. I'm thinking he can put up around Desaun Jackson last year type #'s with more rush yards and a few more TD's. WR3 maybe a 2 if he really gets going.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby brett5673 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:29 am

If you guys wanna hear a hype train on Percy Harvin, just go to the Football guys forums. yes this guy does have incredible speed, and he hopefully will be all over the place.
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 pm

*yawn* FFL is all about opportunities. Running the wildcat at the 50 yd line 3 times a game doesn't help FFLers. Great for the Vikings, but worth nothing but a flyer in FFL. I like Maclin from an opportunity standpoint better (and from a 'less likely to face suspension' standpoint), but I wouldn't even draft him as my WR3. Vikings are not going to pass a ton, guys like that don't get the ball in the red zone, and this offense is notoriously tough for rookie WRs to grasp so he will not be a regular in the WR rotation.

Rookie WRs other than Randy Moss don't contribute much to fantasy teams. Every year, 1 or 2 rookie WRs are drafted too high, and once every other decade the pick will pan out for you. Not worth the risk.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Carnac » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 pm

My league counts return yds., so I will be taking Percy as my 4 or 5 WR.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby brett5673 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:58 am

same here with the KR. The only thing i have to say is, the vikings have crafted 20-30 plays to suit Harvin, and his RB abilities. he could have 5 touches a game at Wildcat or RB as well as a few catches each game. He is not as prototypical WR as most rookies. It may honestly not make a difference, but he has a special skillset that could surprise fantasy football this year.
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby abrunn11 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:56 am

dgan wrote:*yawn* FFL is all about opportunities. Running the wildcat at the 50 yd line 3 times a game doesn't help FFLers. Great for the Vikings, but worth nothing but a flyer in FFL. I like Maclin from an opportunity standpoint better (and from a 'less likely to face suspension' standpoint), but I wouldn't even draft him as my WR3. Vikings are not going to pass a ton, guys like that don't get the ball in the red zone, and this offense is notoriously tough for rookie WRs to grasp so he will not be a regular in the WR rotation.

Rookie WRs other than Randy Moss don't contribute much to fantasy teams. Every year, 1 or 2 rookie WRs are drafted too high, and once every other decade the pick will pan out for you. Not worth the risk.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
"

1. Knowing that the Vikings are implimenting the wilcat for Harvin does help FFLers, if you cannot see that then I am sorry.
2. The vikings do not need to pass a ton in order for Harvin to be a viable WR#3. Harvin will be on the field as much as any other WR. How you figure he will not be a regular in the rotation is mind-boggling, unless you have insider info.
3. Maybe from a WR#1 standpoint rookie WR do not contribute to fantasy teams, but plenty of them contibute as a WR#2 or WR#3. Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson were nice WR#2/WR#3 last year. Bowe was a nice WR#2 in 2007. Colston was a nice Wr#1 in 2006. I guess I do not understand what you mean when you say rookie WR don't contribute much to fantasy teams.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:27 am

abrunn11 wrote:
dgan wrote:*yawn* FFL is all about opportunities. Running the wildcat at the 50 yd line 3 times a game doesn't help FFLers. Great for the Vikings, but worth nothing but a flyer in FFL. I like Maclin from an opportunity standpoint better (and from a 'less likely to face suspension' standpoint), but I wouldn't even draft him as my WR3. Vikings are not going to pass a ton, guys like that don't get the ball in the red zone, and this offense is notoriously tough for rookie WRs to grasp so he will not be a regular in the WR rotation.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
"

1. Knowing that the Vikings are implimenting the wilcat for Harvin does help FFLers, if you cannot see that then I am sorry.
2. The vikings do not need to pass a ton in order for Harvin to be a viable WR#3. Harvin will be on the field as much as any other WR. How you figure he will not be a regular in the rotation is mind-boggling, unless you have insider info.
3. Maybe from a WR#1 standpoint rookie WR do not contribute to fantasy teams, but plenty of them contibute as a WR#2 or WR#3. Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson were nice WR#2/WR#3 last year. Bowe was a nice WR#2 in 2007. Colston was a nice Wr#1 in 2006. I guess I do not understand what you mean when you say rookie WR don't contribute much to fantasy teams.

Umm...okay.

First of all, if you are including return yards in your analysis, that is a different discussion. I remember Dante Hall was a good WR3 a few years ago in that scoring system, and he didn't catch 10 balls that year. So I'm taking return yards out of the discussion.

1. I am glad that you are sorry, because it is your loss if you think the Wildcat is a fantasy football owner's dream. Ronnie Brown had one huge game using the Wildcat against the Patriots and it got a lot of pub. After that, teams were more prepared and the Wildcat (statistically speaking) became just another running play. You better believe all defenses will be well-prepared for the Wildcat this year, so I doubt Harvin is going to score 5 TDs all season, much less in one game.

2. The Vikings best WR last year was about the 20th ranked WR in most scoring formats with less than 50 catches. Harvin is listed on the team depth chart behind Berrian, Rice and Wade. So how exactly do you think the 4th WR on the team is going to see as much playing time and catch more than 50 balls? (Royal had over 90, Jackson more than 60)

3. We draft 250 players in our draft, and Royal and Jackson both went undrafted last year. They went on to have very respectable seasons, but had they been drafted in the 6th round, their seasons wouldn't have been so great. They were great fantasy WRs only because they were great value.

I don't know who you are or if we've ever been in discussion before, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your post was meant to be funny. We are all entitled to our opinion. There is no reason to attempt to insult me or anyone here. I make a valid argument, and you obviously have a man-crush on Percy, which is fine. But you better throw more stats and real arguments other than "the guy is electric!". A player's voltage has little to do with fantasy football. Reggie Bush has been electrocuting fantasy owners for a few years now.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:54 am

dgan wrote:The Vikings best WR last year was about the 20th ranked WR in most scoring formats with less than 50 catches. Harvin is listed on the team depth chart behind Berrian, Rice and Wade. So how exactly do you think the 4th WR on the team is going to see as much playing time and catch more than 50 balls? (Royal had over 90, Jackson more than 60)

I think the idea here is that Harvin won't be staying 4th on the depth chart for long. Royal and Jackson were at about the same spot at this time last year.

Berrian is already hurt, Rice has disappointed, and Wade is a throwaway. As far as competition for moving up the depth chart goes Harvin has it as good as anyone. It's also worth mentioning that Favre targeted Harvin with 2 out of his 4 passes in his first appearance with the Vikings. Small sample size obviously, but a good start.

dgan wrote:We draft 250 players in our draft, and Royal and Jackson both went undrafted last year. They went on to have very respectable seasons, but had they been drafted in the 6th round, their seasons wouldn't have been so great. They were great fantasy WRs only because they were great value.

While it's true their seasons wouldn't be so great if they were drafted in the 6th round, I'm not sure how that's applicable to Harvin's situation since he's not being drafted anywhere near the 6th round in most drafts. He's a guy going in rounds 12 and up even in 12+ team leagues, which sounds about right for a guy with his upside.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby DemonDeacon » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:59 am

Im on the Harvin bandwagon as well. Ya hes only 4th on the depth chart right now but we all know he'll be at the very least the 3rd WR and it wont be long at all before he starts across from Berrian. As a legitimate #2 or 3? Im not going to say that will be the case but on talent alone he "COULD" end up being a viable FF starter. But i agree that his value is post round 10 but in one of our mocks he did go as early as the 9th. As far as the Wildcat goes I think its naive to put a whole lot of stock into it, but it certainly doesnt hurt Harvins value :)
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to Football Talk