Any Picks You Regret Not Making? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:27 am

Had my draft last night and I had a few regrets.

In hindsight I wish I went with DeAngelo Williams instead of Matt Forte. While I think Forte will be good, I think Williams has a much higher ceiling. Also wish I was able to get McFadden. I went with Rodgers instead, but I wish I took McFadden and went Warner in the next round or two.

Anyone have any similar draft day regrets?
Image
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 3672
Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby petedog9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:50 am

Very happy with my draft that we had on Saturday.. Hit all my targets with a few bonus guys I didnt expect to be available.. One regret was not getting the Pittsburgh Defense. Just as my "Homer" pick. I still get the NY Giants 8 picks later and they are gonna be great IMO. Just wanted the Steelers Defense because of homerism.. In all the years I have played fantasy, I have never had them..
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2964
Joined: 7 Nov 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Sacramento CA

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby 2ksports » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:17 pm

I was the 9th spot in a 10 team draft and had to choose between DeAngelo Williams and Moss. It was a no-brainer for me b/c I knew DeAngelo was who I wanted but at the same time I presumed (falsely) that the 10th guy would pick Moss if I didn't.

So I decided to take my chances and draft Randy Moss, hoping the next guy would go WR/WR, leafving me DeAngelo.

He drafted DeAngelo with the 10th pick... booo.....

Also I passed on Brandon Marshall in the 5th round, who would have been a solid WR4 for me.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1276
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby sirchadwick1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:12 pm

2ksports wrote:Also I passed on Brandon Marshall in the 5th round, who would have been a solid WR4 for me.


WR4 in the 5th round? That's a stretch. I'd call B-Marsh a WR3 w/ upside anyway, especially in PPR leagues.

How did you draft? I'm interested to hear.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1368
Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby 2ksports » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:15 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:
2ksports wrote:Also I passed on Brandon Marshall in the 5th round, who would have been a solid WR4 for me.


WR4 in the 5th round? That's a stretch. I'd call B-Marsh a WR3 w/ upside anyway, especially in PPR leagues.

How did you draft? I'm interested to hear.


Sure.

QB: Schaub(10), Hasselbeck(11)
RB: K. Smith(4), McFadden(5), K. Moreno(6), F. Jones(7), R. Rice(9), McGahee(15), Fred Jackson(14)
WR: Randy Moss(1), Cal Johnson(2), D. Bowe(3), Lee Evans(8)
TE: Winslow(12)

I picked McFadden in the 5th, and then K. Moreno in the 6th at the snake turn. I should have drafted McFadden, and then Brandon Marshall at the start of the 6th round, instead of K. Moreno IMO. Marshall went later in teh 6th round.

My roster could have been:

QB: Shaub, Hass
RB: DeAngelo, K. Smith, McFadden, Felix, Rice, McGahee, F. Jackson
WR: Moss, D. Bowe, B. Marshall, L. Evans
TE: Winslow

IMO this 2nd roster is more solid.
Last edited by 2ksports on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1276
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby Script-Ohio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:18 pm

eaglesfan wrote:Had my draft last night and I had a few regrets.

In hindsight I wish I went with DeAngelo Williams instead of Matt Forte. While I think Forte will be good, I think Williams has a much higher ceiling. Also wish I was able to get McFadden. I went with Rodgers instead, but I wish I took McFadden and went Warner in the next round or two.

Anyone have any similar draft day regrets?


I think if you had went with Williams instead of Forte, you'd end up really regretting that. Be glad you made the "mistake" of taking Forte IMO. It CANNOT be assumed that Stewart isn't going to cut significantly into DeAngelo's carries, he is still a great talent and according to some, still a better fit in Carolina's offense.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 657
Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Script-Ohio wrote:
eaglesfan wrote:Had my draft last night and I had a few regrets.

In hindsight I wish I went with DeAngelo Williams instead of Matt Forte. While I think Forte will be good, I think Williams has a much higher ceiling. Also wish I was able to get McFadden. I went with Rodgers instead, but I wish I took McFadden and went Warner in the next round or two.

Anyone have any similar draft day regrets?


I think if you had went with Williams instead of Forte, you'd end up really regretting that. Be glad you made the "mistake" of taking Forte IMO. It CANNOT be assumed that Stewart isn't going to cut significantly into DeAngelo's carries, he is still a great talent and according to some, still a better fit in Carolina's offense.


I'm sure thats being said if he can actually be on the field...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby biju » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

2ksports wrote:
sirchadwick1 wrote:
2ksports wrote:Also I passed on Brandon Marshall in the 5th round, who would have been a solid WR4 for me.


WR4 in the 5th round? That's a stretch. I'd call B-Marsh a WR3 w/ upside anyway, especially in PPR leagues.

How did you draft? I'm interested to hear.


Sure.

QB: Schaub(10), Hasselbeck(11)
RB: K. Smith(4), McFadden(5), K. Moreno(6), F. Jones(7), R. Rice(9), McGahee(15), Fred Jackson(14)
WR: Randy Moss(1), Cal Johnson(2), D. Bowe(3), Lee Evans(8)
TE: Winslow(12)

I picked McFadden in the 5th, and then K. Moreno in the 6th at the snake turn. I should have drafted McFadden, and then Brandon Marshall at the start of the 6th round, instead of K. Moreno IMO. Marshall went later in teh 6th round.

My roster could have been:

QB: Shaub, Hass
RB: DeAngelo, K. Smith, McFadden, Felix, Rice, McGahee, F. Jackson
WR: Moss, D. Bowe, B. Marshall, L. Evans
TE: Winslow

IMO this 2nd roster is more solid.


You're right, I'd much rather have that second roster than the one you ended up with. I just think too much emphasis is being placed on WRs who /should/ be solid, but two of them are in rebuilding offenses which might hurt if they aren't viable. But you certainly could have done worse after going WR with your first 3 picks...
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby biju » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Script-Ohio wrote:
eaglesfan wrote:Had my draft last night and I had a few regrets.

In hindsight I wish I went with DeAngelo Williams instead of Matt Forte. While I think Forte will be good, I think Williams has a much higher ceiling. Also wish I was able to get McFadden. I went with Rodgers instead, but I wish I took McFadden and went Warner in the next round or two.

Anyone have any similar draft day regrets?


I think if you had went with Williams instead of Forte, you'd end up really regretting that. Be glad you made the "mistake" of taking Forte IMO. It CANNOT be assumed that Stewart isn't going to cut significantly into DeAngelo's carries, he is still a great talent and according to some, still a better fit in Carolina's offense.


The split last year was DAW:273, J-Stew: 184 out of 504 total carries from the Panthers. That means Williams had 54.3% of the carries and Stewart had 36.5%. How much more are you expecting Stewart to cut into?

Do yourself a favor and stop thinking Jonathan Stewart is going to overtake DeAngelo Williams. Fox isn't a coach that will displace veterans. We've seen it multiple times already with his RBs. Stewart is eventually going to be a very solid RB as long as he can stay healthy, but until DeAngelo Williams leaves town he's not going to receive more carries and this split (of roughly 3:2) isn't going to change.

Edit: Fixed the ratio at the end.
Last edited by biju on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Any Picks You Regret Not Making?

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:58 pm

2ksports wrote:I was the 9th spot in a 10 team draft and had to choose between DeAngelo Williams and Moss. It was a no-brainer for me b/c I knew DeAngelo was who I wanted but at the same time I presumed (falsely) that the 10th guy would pick Moss if I didn't.

So I decided to take my chances and draft Randy Moss, hoping the next guy would go WR/WR, leafving me DeAngelo.

He drafted DeAngelo with the 10th pick... booo.....

Also I passed on Brandon Marshall in the 5th round, who would have been a solid WR4 for me.


I was thinking the exact same thing at pick 7 and after watching DWill's 25 yard TD run this past weekend, I think I just made my decision.

EDIT to piggyback on biju: Especially consider that Stewart missed all of camp and still continues to rest his sore achilles. This guy has had how many injuries to that same foot/ankle. Sounds like a chronic problem to me. Sounds like that part of his body is just structurally deficient some way to sustain the workload of a professional athlete. I think you are going to see Williams slip slip slip into the mid-late first and 5 or 6 weeks into the season every person who passed on him is going to be regretting it.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight


Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:39 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact