Could this "Cat" be this years A. Bryant? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could this "Cat" be this years A. Bryant?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby petedog9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 am

Troy Williamson caught three passes for 147 yards and a touchdown against the Bucs in the Jaguars' second preseason game.

Williamson toasted the Bucs secondary for a 74-yard bomb on the first play of the game and came back later with another 61-yard gainer. Last weeks' four catches for 74 yards suggests the production may not be a fluke. The former bust has been starting opposite Torry Holt with Mike Walker sidelined (again), and he has a shot to keep the job.

This guy is leading the league (by far ) in receiveing yardage this year and starting opposite Holt whom I have read , has not impressed this year. Its been said Holt has looked slow and sluggish.

Torry Holt will be limited to once-a-day practicing for the first week of Jaguars training camp.

Jags.com says it's due to a knee injury. Holt had surgery on his knee before the 2008 season and it appeared to cost him the ability to separate. The team doesn't seem too concerned, but this is a reminder that he's a big injury risk.

I have heard nothing on this guy since he fell off the face off the earth in Minny.. He always had the talent but just could never put it all together. Then I heard (I think it was him) that he had vision problems and had corrective eye surgery and that helped. You may have a situation where Tory Holt takes the guy under his wing and teaches him how to be a Pro level Wr. I dont thnk he has ever had a veteran guidance...

This guy might be worth a flier in the latter rounds as a guy who could come up HUGE like Antonio Bryant did last year. He went from undrafted to the #7 WR in my league.....
Last edited by petedog9 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Could this "Cat" be this years A. Bryant?

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 am

Troy did have great sped when he came out of college, #7 overall pick by the Vikings. Knock on him was always that he was a poor route runner and had hands of stone. Now, maybe he has learned how to catch a ball better, so there is hope. But where have his plays been made? Vs. first, second, or the walking corpses of the second half?
Worth keeping an eye on, since somebody has to catch a pass in Jax.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby petedog9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 am

He started both games with the Mike Walker injury and has played against the oppositions #1s..... In fact the td last week was the very first play of the game..

Highlights of the game is here: (2nd clip is the game highlights) ;-D

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=5 ... &week=PRE2
Last edited by petedog9 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 am

Okay, I will put him on my radar, now stop talking about it or everone will know. :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby abrunn11 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am

Being in Minnesota nd watching this guy's first three years was painful. Obviously he has some ability or he would not have been such a high draft choice. The alarming statistic is that, including college, he has never had more then 43 receptions in a single season. Williamson possesses great speed, but has very poor football skills. His route running is really bad and he struggles catching the ball. I truely think he would be a wasted draft pick in almost any format.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eagles21 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:38 am

Great news for David Garrard owners. I hope this continues into the regular season. :-)
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 am

abrunn11 wrote:Being in Minnesota nd watching this guy's first three years was painful. Obviously he has some ability or he would not have been such a high draft choice. The alarming statistic is that, including college, he has never had more then 43 receptions in a single season. Williamson possesses great speed, but has very poor football skills. His route running is really bad and he struggles catching the ball. I truely think he would be a wasted draft pick in almost any format.

I am not saying that Williamson is a "sure fire" top ten WR right now but I am saying, keep an eye on this if it contiues. I have learned in many years of playing FF, to watch for trends in the preseason. Last year it was Deangelo Williams and J. Stewart tearing it up in the preseason and that turned out Ok I think. This year, this guy is tearing it up against #1 defenses and Del Rio is starting to sing his praises.

If you burn your last round pick on this guy and he doesnt pan out, you have lost nothing except an FA pickup. Personally, I think he's worth a flier on and take a wait and see approach with him... Holt will see the double coverage and safeties will often be sucked up with the power run game and MJD so I thnk the guy will get his chances on a few deep balls a game..

Del Rios post game comments:

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8128
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 am

NO B-)
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby petedog9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:03 am

bungle613 wrote:

NO B-)

Snappy title though right... :-D

This time last year .. Who was A. Bryant?? touche'
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joejlitz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 am

So take a flyer on Williamson or Chris Henry, then?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Next

Return to Football Talk