My back! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My back!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: My back!

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 am

Ambien is a sleeping aid....I guess if it helps you sleep though it could be considered a pain reliever, at least at night. :-?

Anyway I'm feeling much better, still very stiff and tight but it's much better. I think the constant icing the first day really helped and then the hot then cold the 2nd was the key. Yesterday I put a couple of these medicated patch thingies that were my moms on my back and was able to get quite a bit done. Even pulled the old Impala out, washed it, and took it for a spin around the new neighborhood. I'm so glad it's feeling better, I was really worried because I still had a bunch of stuff out on the deck that needed to be unpacked and either put away or stored. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get to it with a busted back before the rain....which is coming soon. And I'd really like to clean and seal the deck.

Which reminds me. Anybody ever clean and seal a deck before? Anything I should know? Seems pretty straight forward, but I thought I'd ask. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:21 am

I tweaked mine the other day playing baseball, but it wasn't bad and really barely noticeable. Sucks getting old doesn't it Met? :-b !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 am

Metroid wrote:Ambien is a sleeping aid....I guess if it helps you sleep though it could be considered a pain reliever, at least at night. :-?

Anyway I'm feeling much better, still very stiff and tight but it's much better. I think the constant icing the first day really helped and then the hot then cold the 2nd was the key. Yesterday I put a couple of these medicated patch thingies that were my moms on my back and was able to get quite a bit done. Even pulled the old Impala out, washed it, and took it for a spin around the new neighborhood. I'm so glad it's feeling better, I was really worried because I still had a bunch of stuff out on the deck that needed to be unpacked and either put away or stored. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get to it with a busted back before the rain....which is coming soon. And I'd really like to clean and seal the deck.

Which reminds me. Anybody ever clean and seal a deck before? Anything I should know? Seems pretty straight forward, but I thought I'd ask. ;-D

we redid ours a few years ago...powerwashed it, but whatever sealer the origonal owners had on it didnt want to come off too easily, so i ended up putting on some sort of Behr stripper too, and that helped some but i didnt quite get it all off, but when we stained it it looked fine

it already needs to be redone though, and i built a railing around it in May, i just havent gotten around to staining it yet (from what i have read you are supposed to let the new wood cure anyway for awhile before staining). plus i still have some sanding and whatnot to finish. i'll probably do it when the weather gets a bit cooler as well (i dont know the exact temps you are supposed to apply in, i want to say not above 85F or in direct sunlight either)...i'm sure the webz has more detail. i'm also planning on not powerwashing the deck this time either :-o
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I tweaked mine the other day playing baseball, but it wasn't bad and really barely noticeable. Sucks getting old doesn't it Met? :-b !+)

Tell me about it. I was doing a lot better when I had my circuit training class twice a week, but I had cut my schedule down to half time for the summer and didn't take it. It'll be good when fall term starts and I can start regularly stretching and exercising again. I'm too lazy to get any sort of quality cardio, weightlifting, or stretching done on my own time. Having it as a class is a huge help. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:Ambien is a sleeping aid....I guess if it helps you sleep though it could be considered a pain reliever, at least at night. :-?

we redid ours a few years ago...powerwashed it, but whatever sealer the origonal owners had on it didnt want to come off too easily, so i ended up putting on some sort of Behr stripper too, and that helped some but i didnt quite get it all off, but when we stained it it looked fine

it already needs to be redone though, and i built a railing around it in May, i just havent gotten around to staining it yet (from what i have read you are supposed to let the new wood cure anyway for awhile before staining). plus i still have some sanding and whatnot to finish. i'll probably do it when the weather gets a bit cooler as well (i dont know the exact temps you are supposed to apply in, i want to say not above 85F or in direct sunlight either)...i'm sure the webz has more detail. i'm also planning on not powerwashing the deck this time either :-o

This deck looks like it hasn't been sealed in a long time if ever. It probably is pretty close to needing to be replaced, there isn't any major damage but there is some curling and some surface rot(or just surface flaking really). It's a large deck so I've really got my work cut out for me. I'm not sure if it's really worth the time to really sand it down....I really have no clue to be honest. What would I use to sand it? A belt sander?
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:54 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

This deck looks like it hasn't been sealed in a long time if ever. It probably is pretty close to needing to be replaced, there isn't any major damage but there is some curling and some surface rot(or just surface flaking really). It's a large deck so I've really got my work cut out for me. I'm not sure if it's really worth the time to really sand it down....I really have no clue to be honest. What would I use to sand it? A belt sander?

i'm an engineer, not a carpenter, how the hell should i know :-b that's probably what i'd use but couldnt hurt to take a picture of it an walk into a Home Depot/Lowes/Mennards and ask what they reccomend, or even check the interwebz

this site was pretty helpful when i build my railing http://www.decks.com/
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:08 pm

I frequently pull, tweak, strain my back muscles. Currently I am dealing with a chronic rotator cuff muscle area ache which might be torn or just tendinitis. I haven't rested it since I'm playing golf pretty much every week but will get it checked out in the fall.

I use the following methods:
1. Ice the area. It will hurt like hell at first but once you numb it, the pain and swelling will go down.
2. Massage the area. Thumper works great if not just have your significant other rub the area until the soreness is gone. It will make the area very tender and may even bruise but that's a good thing.
3. Take ibuprofen. You can take the max dosage.
4. If you can't ice the area then try Salon Pas: Capsicum Patch. Very handy if you are out and about.
Yoda
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bagobonez » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:04 pm

I feel your pain Metroid. Me and the wife were moving out of our 3rd story apartment. Had just rented a truck and I was rarin' to go and get everything moved downstairs into the truck. On my 2nd trip down, my spine lit up with fire and I had to drop everything I was holding and fall to my knees. Wasn't able to walk right for probably 5 days. Had to take the truck back after having paid $100 for it and didn't even get to use it.

Chiropractor says I have a bulging disc in my back. What's helped me the most is a machine my dad bought for $400 on the internet. It's a traction machine. You lay down in it, strap yourself in good and tight right around the midsection, and then pump this pump and it pulls your lower torso downward to relieve the pressure on your discs. It's been 3 months since I hurt my back and unfortunately I still can't lift anything heavy. I pulled about 10 weeds the other day and the next day my back was killin' me. Hopefully yours is just a pulled muscle and not an issue with your discs.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Metroid wrote:This deck looks like it hasn't been sealed in a long time if ever. It probably is pretty close to needing to be replaced, there isn't any major damage but there is some curling and some surface rot(or just surface flaking really). It's a large deck so I've really got my work cut out for me. I'm not sure if it's really worth the time to really sand it down....I really have no clue to be honest. What would I use to sand it? A belt sander?

Look into renting a power washer and a stand-up sander. Power wash it and see how much of that 'surface rot' comes up.. it may just be mildew. If it's rot, it needs to be replaced. If not, sand it all real good to get those raised parts off so they don't give you splinters. Then power wash it again to get rid of the residue. Let it all get good and dry and stain away. First time home buyer + tuition bills, I'm sure money isn't growing on trees, so if you can clean up the deck and waterproof it and get a few more years out of it, that's the way to go. When my sis and bro and law built their first house, I and a couple friends were invited up to work. We drywalled the walk-out basement, sanded and stained the two storey deck, and had time left over to drink both days.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 am

Yoda: I actually did something very similar. I iced it pretty much the entire day after it happened and most of the 2nd. Had my lady massage it the first two evenings. My buddy brought over this stuff called DMSO, I applied it in the evenings, and left it on as long as I could stand the itching. And I took lots of ibuprofen and aspirin for swelling.

DMSO is weird stuff, I've never used it before or even heard of it but I think it really helped a lot. Apparently you have to be careful with it because it's acts as transdermal agent, if there is something on your skin when it's applied it can suck it into your blood stream. And when I say it itches...I mean it. :-o

bonez: That sucks you had to take the truck back and put off your move, lucky for me I had the move part out of the way. Mosly now it was just getting the stuff off the deck put away so I can repair the deck. All of which I have mostly done. So are you able to work with your back out? I imagine it must be tough to be on patrol, and maybe even dangerous, with your back in a fragile state. Are you on leave?

scott: I think tomorrow I'm gonna go rent a pressure washer and see about a sander. You're right man, money isn't exactly flowing out my ears right now, so hopefully I can get this done myself and get some more life out of it. Would I get the sander at Home Depot? And what kind of sealer? Just like the standard Thomson's deck sealer?
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk