Westbrook and Barber in mock drafts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Westbrook and Barber in mock drafts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Westbrook and Barber in mock drafts

Postby Dirt McGirt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:41 am

I have done 10 mock drafts on espn.com and people are refusing to pick these guys inside the top 15. I have the 10th pick (snake draft) and before i did any of those drafts i was thinking getting westbrook and barber at 10/11 would be a solid foundation for a championship team. I am beginning to think different. Were these mock drafts normal? Where have they been going in your home drafts? (not sure how much credibility im giving some of the people doing those drafts)

I know that by drafting these guys Shady McCoy and F.Jones are must drafts, but I would be willing to do that. Any insight would be appreciated. I am especially calling out mattb47 for this one.

Not a ppr
6 pts td
1pt 10 yds rush/rec.
Dirt McGirt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Westbrook and Barber in mock drafts

Postby Sex Panther » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:57 am

IMO Barber at 10/11 is way too early.

Chances are MB3 can be had at 30/31 (or there abouts).

Westbrook, IDK - when healthy he's elite. 10/11 is probably about right - huge risk/huge reward.

If you are drafting Westbrook, McCoy is a MUST have IMO.

In a majority of mocks I've done (which is why I hate mocks), roughly 90% of the time, I've been able to land a combonation of SJax, Gore, CJ4.24, Slaton, or Jacobs - all of which I would take well ahead of MB3 & right in the neighborhood of Westy.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:44 am

I think I have higher expectations overall of Marion Barber than most people seem to. He's a guy that I've been targeting a good deal in drafts this year because I actually have him finishing as a top 10 RB this season and I can generally get him pretty easily in the 2nd round which is where I've been taking him. His role is moving back to what it was when he was at his very best fantasy wise and the chances of him staying healthy all season have gone up tremendously because of that...I think he'll be productive and healthy and will finish with good TD totals again this season.

Westbrook I'm not quite as high on...he certainly "could" put up big numbers again, but in non-ppr his upside isn't as high especially with the high number of weapons and options on that Eagles offense right now. I don't think it would be crazy to think that they'll even control how much they use him early on so that they know they can have him later in the year because there's no doubt they realize as well how easily he seems to get banged up.

I also think that with Barber, you don't NEED to draft F. Jones to make it a viable pick, but if you take Westbrook...you MUST have LeSean McCoy. I think that any time you are drafting at the turn as you are, making picks on guys you like and think will do well is going to be better than necessarily taking players that other people have maybe ranked higher. I think Barber for one of those picks is reasonable, no guarantee he would make it back to you but I don't think I would take Westy with the other pick.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dirt McGirt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 am

thank you for the replies..

I think i am just going to let someone else deal w/ the headache of having westbrook on their team. I dont think my nerves can take him being listed as a game time decision 3-4 times this year like he always is. If i had to put all my money on who would score more fantasy points in the 09-10 year in a Barber vs. Westbrook match up I think i would be in the same boat as mattb47 and go with barber. He has proven in the past he doesnt need tons of touches to put up big numbers. In 06, he put up 850 yards and 16 tds on just 158 touches. 2007 was much of the same with 1250 yds 12 tds on 250 touches. I think this season is going to mirror the 07 season for barber.
Dirt McGirt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

The problem with Marion Barber is that he is a real boom or bust candidate in any given week whenever he's been in a timeshare. Just like MJD, ask any of those owners if those two guys frustrate you on a week to week basis. Barber broke down last year in his first and only attempt at carrying the load, so I don't think that Dallas will give him that opportunity again especially with a weapon like Felix Jones sitting around AND a capable looking Choice at #3.

I'm warying of Barber as a #1 RB simply because we KNOW that he will be sharing, but what we don't know is to what extent. This could be a pure RBBC or even tilted in favor of Felix Jones in terms of overall touches. Felix has looked to be as a potential franchise RB this offseason and he was one of the most explosive players in the NFL last year on limited touches. We could see a Chris Johnson/Lendale White situation start to develop in Dallas beginning this year if things don't fall right for Barber, and if that happens I'm not sure that Barber is the guy I want to own.

Westbrook is an entirely different story. The guy is being underrated due to his injury and recovery from. One good preseason game and this guy is back exactly to where he was last season: a real borderline guy that you know will be good when he plays, but you worry that he gets injured and/or becomes a gametime situation. Personally, I feel that if Westbrook shows something in the next two weeks, he almost becomes a must draft as the spot where he is going right now. The guy was among the very tops in the league in the amount of points he scored each week for you team. The guy plays the majority of the year every year, and he is the ideal candidate to put up big numbers in the system that he is in. Just look at what a less talented player McCoy has been doing this preseason. Bottomline, Westbrook is one of the few known difference makers out there when he is on the field. And if you draft him at the RB2 position you will have an advantage over the field whenever he is out there playing a game. You're looking at a top5 caliber player in the 2nd or third round and that's even when he misses a game or two.

Out of Barber and Westbrook, I think Westbrook carries a lot more reward with a decent amount of added risk. I don't think there is any case where Marion Barber will single-handedly win a championship for you, but Westbrook can. McCoy is not so costly as to make it prohibitive to get him to back up Westbrook. If you absolutely must have McCoy, I can't possibly imagine it costing more than a 7th round pick. And either way, Westbrook will only be taken as your RB2 in 90% of situations anyways. You're not losing your franchise if he goes down, but you might gain a franchise if he keeps it together and duplicates what he has done the last three years running.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dirt McGirt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:49 am

that is a good post kensat...i think its very true that out of the two westbrook is the only one that can carry you to a title. If he comes out and looks good in his preseason game tonight vs the jags he will be right back going somewhere between picks 7-12 which is where i personally think he should be going. I think alot of people in fantasy football have short memories.

Im looking for people who have had some competitive $$ leauge drafts already to chime in if they would please on where barber has been going? ( no ppr)
I started tracking him in all the espn mocks that i have done and in my last 7 the numbers are as follows: 27, 20, 27, 25, 23, 25, 28...

This is almost exactly in the same neighborhood as Ronnie Brown and Pierre Thomas.

Ronnie Brown - 33, 24, 26, 30, 29, 31, 29

Pierre Thomas - 28, 28, 29, 32, 28, 30, 31

Im not looking to start a debate as to who is better out of those 3. I am just looking for some people who have already had their league drafts to give me some input on where barber has been going, because in my overall rankings i have him at 15th on the big board.
preferable league format: 6pts td, 1pt 10 yds rush/rec.
Dirt McGirt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:53 am

Dirt McGirt wrote:I am just looking for some people who have already had their league drafts to give me some input on where barber has been going, because in my overall rankings i have him at 15th on the big board.
preferable league format: 6pts td, 1pt 10 yds rush/rec.

In that exact format (12 teams), a slow draft of mine in early August he went 19th overall and was the 12th RB taken. In the mocks I've joined, he tends to get taken as an RB2 at the end of the 2nd round, after the top 4 WRs (Calvin, Andre, Moss, Fitz) have been taken. The team that took him then gets a WR in the early 3rd.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dirt McGirt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 am

Thank you Kareighuis - good info.
Dirt McGirt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk