i have never handcuffed - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

i have never handcuffed

Moderator: Football Moderators

i have never handcuffed

Postby kickureface » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:06 am

yet i see it is so popular here? why is that?
i usually just have depth at rb so when wb went down last year i just plugged someone in instead of starting buckhalter. why handcuff?
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: i have never handcuffed

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 am

I rarely handcuff myself. It can be somewhat overrated to be honest. There is only one player this year that's a must-handcuff imo and that's Westy. That's b/c his backup has a very similar style and has the potential to put up ridiculous numbers in that system. You could say it's worth it to handcuff Addai w/ Brown or even LT with Sproles.... but I'm not so sure there. I think it could be a wasted pick b/c you're throwing your eggs into one basket hoping that the team has a good year and that one of those RB's will excel. I'd much rather take a flyer on a couple of rookies that could produce like Knowshown and Donald Brown together than Addai and Brown. Then again I always like to take a couple of young risky picks in the mid-late rounds.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:24 am

i generally dont handcuff either unless i can get the cuff at really good value and also only if i think the cuff can be just as effective

Westy/McCoy is probably the only must cuff for me, and i'd rather just not draft Westy and save myself the headache

AD/Chester Taylor and Portis/Betts are probably the only others i'd consider because you can generally get those guys much later than you can Stewart, Brown, Sproles, etc
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i generally dont handcuff either unless i can get the cuff at really good value and also only if i think the cuff can be just as effective

Westy/McCoy is probably the only must cuff for me, and i'd rather just not draft Westy and save myself the headache

AD/Chester Taylor and Portis/Betts are probably the only others i'd consider because you can generally get those guys much later than you can Stewart, Brown, Sproles, etc

I agree with this post completely. I'll add Jackson/Lynch on the Bills to that "consider" list, only because both are pretty good RB and you can sometimes get Jackson really late (I've seen him go anywhere from the 8th to the 13th in 12-teamers)
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:28 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i generally dont handcuff either unless i can get the cuff at really good value and also only if i think the cuff can be just as effective

I agree with this post completely. I'll add Jackson/Lynch on the Bills to that "consider" list, only because both are pretty good RB and you can sometimes get Jackson really late (I've seen him go anywhere from the 8th to the 13th in 12-teamers)

in a normal year i wouldnt cuff Jackson to Lynch, but with him missing 3 games it might not be a bad strategy if you grab Lynch as a RB2 fairly late
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby da bears » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 am

I think it depends on the system the RB plays in but I think everyone either handcuffs or steals handcuffs during a draft. Lots of these guys end up having some solid value throughout the year with the amount of injuries that happen to RB's. Towards the end of the draft I'd rather cover my 1st or 2nd round pick while using other picks on catching lightning in a bottle so I at least know I have one teams RB's unless mass injury occurs.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Stelly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am

I have never handcuffed in the past, either. I feel more comfortable drafting good depth at RB so if someone goes down, my RB3 is a solid player to play.

Would you guys consider handcuffing Jacobs this season? Bradshaw has looked good in preseason, and with the Giants o-line, he could be a nice injury fill in. Or do you think NYG will go RBBC with Bradshaw and Ware?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

I'd probably put Brandon Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw on the "must handcuff" list...Jacobs is an injury waiting to happen every season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Crippler » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 am

Because in *competitive* legues, you cant just pick up a solid replacement when your stud goes down.

That stuff will fly in Yahoo public leagues, but not any respectible ones...gotta handcuff your studs.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 pm

mattb47 wrote:I'd probably put Brandon Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw on the "must handcuff" list...Jacobs is an injury waiting to happen every season.

I think Jacobs can be categorized with Westy- it's obvious you need to handcuff, and who to handcuff, but I'd rather avoid the headache.

Crippler wrote:Because in *competitive* legues, you cant just pick up a solid replacement when your stud goes down.

That stuff will fly in Yahoo public leagues, but not any respectible ones...gotta handcuff your studs.

I can't agree. At all. Depending on the draft, I tend to grab a couple of sole- or primary backs. If one falls, another team's RB1 or RB1A steps in for my team. Many people still subscribe to the handcuff theory, so when you get a Westy or Jacobs, you're implicitly declaring your intentions. Some teams will jump half a round to more than a round over his ADP to steal your handcuff. Then, they'll use it as some sort of ransom/trade-bait in-season.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk