i have never handcuffed - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

i have never handcuffed

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: i have never handcuffed

Postby mattUTD20 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 pm

The only player I would handcuff is AD with Chester Taylor but that is more because Taylor is a capable every down back and he comes cheap. I don't consider guys like Westy and Jacobs because I would never draft them. Having to handcuff them is just a waste of a roster spot. I would sooner just take the handcuff alone and hope the other guy goes down.

In general though, I would rather take my chances of ending up with two productive backs instead of chaining myself to one situation.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 2ksports » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Handcuffing only wastes roster spots for potential stars. If I had handcuffed, I wouldn't have had room for Steve Slaton last year.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 pm

I don't necessarily handcuff either but I think it 100% depends on how you've drafted as to whether or not you need to handcuff. For example, let's say you've managed to land FGore and Westy this year in the first two rounds. As the draft progresses, you will find yourself in one of three possible situations:

Situation A - You've drafted other capable starting RBs by the time the "handcuff" rounds come around. You may have picked up a LJohnson or a DWard. If that is the case, I wouldn't say that grabbing a McCoy is direly necessary meaning I wouldn't reach to get him just because you have Westy. Now if McCoy presents himself at a good value, then you should grab him as he is just as good of a value as anyone else available at that point in the draft.

Situation B - You've drafted other RBs by the time the "handcuff" rounds come around, but they aren't guys that you would want to start right now. They may be rookies, guys on the lower end of a RBBC, or even other players handcuffs. In this situation, I think grabbing the handcuffs is completely up to the owner. Personally, I see it as I already have some gamble upside players on my team and I don't have to get the handcuff. The good outcome is that my main RBs stay healthy and one of my upside guys hits. The bad outcome is that one of my main RBs gets hurt and none of my upside guys hit leaving me in a situation where I either have to trade or take a hit in production by starting one of the upside guys before he's ready to start.

Situation C - You've drafted your main RBs and that's it. You've focused on the other parts of your team. In this situation, you better bet that I'm going to reach for McCoy by a round or two. Yes, I know he won't give me much production without an injury but if Westy does go down and I don't have McCoy, then my season could be a disaster. And for those that say you can trade in this situation, you also know that other owners will realize your predicament and will hold you over the fire on offers.

Conclusion - While I think handcuffs have their place in the game, I don't necessarily think they are as important as many will make them out to be. However, I would also say that you shouldn't overlook those players just because they are handcuffs. One of my best draft picks this year, IMO, was my picking up ABradshaw on a few teams even though I have BJacobs on none of those teams. I think ABradshaw will at minimum be a spot starter in PPR leagues and at most he could become a draft day gem should BJacobs go down as he normally does.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:22 pm

smackthefirst wrote:I don't necessarily handcuff either but I think it 100% depends on how you've drafted as to whether or not you need to handcuff. For example, let's say you've managed to land FGore and Westy this year in the first two rounds. As the draft progresses, you will find yourself in one of three possible situations:

Situation A - You've drafted other capable starting RBs by the time the "handcuff" rounds come around. You may have picked up a LJohnson or a DWard. If that is the case, I wouldn't say that grabbing a McCoy is direly necessary meaning I wouldn't reach to get him just because you have Westy. Now if McCoy presents himself at a good value, then you should grab him as he is just as good of a value as anyone else available at that point in the draft.

Situation B - You've drafted other RBs by the time the "handcuff" rounds come around, but they aren't guys that you would want to start right now. They may be rookies, guys on the lower end of a RBBC, or even other players handcuffs. In this situation, I think grabbing the handcuffs is completely up to the owner. Personally, I see it as I already have some gamble upside players on my team and I don't have to get the handcuff. The good outcome is that my main RBs stay healthy and one of my upside guys hits. The bad outcome is that one of my main RBs gets hurt and none of my upside guys hit leaving me in a situation where I either have to trade or take a hit in production by starting one of the upside guys before he's ready to start.

Situation C - You've drafted your main RBs and that's it. You've focused on the other parts of your team. In this situation, you better bet that I'm going to reach for McCoy by a round or two. Yes, I know he won't give me much production without an injury but if Westy does go down and I don't have McCoy, then my season could be a disaster. And for those that say you can trade in this situation, you also know that other owners will realize your predicament and will hold you over the fire on offers.

Conclusion - While I think handcuffs have their place in the game, I don't necessarily think they are as important as many will make them out to be. However, I would also say that you shouldn't overlook those players just because they are handcuffs. One of my best draft picks this year, IMO, was my picking up ABradshaw on a few teams even though I have BJacobs on none of those teams. I think ABradshaw will at minimum be a spot starter in PPR leagues and at most he could become a draft day gem should BJacobs go down as he normally does.

Awesome post! ;-D ;-D

I think a summary of that is this: Unless you have drafted adequate depth in the previous rounds, you should draft your own handcuffs before you steal the handcuff of someone else. It would be silly to draft Gore and Westy and then draft D. Brown with McCoy still on the board. What if Westy goes down and Brown is still nothing but a backup?

I think that's what it means to handcuff. Take yours first. Steal others if yours isn't available at a decent value. The only thing funnier than someone reaching for their own handcuff is them reaching just to steal yours. No problem...you can have him. I'll take your handcuff next round and then we can trade later straight up. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby B-Chad » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Sometimes I handcuff, sometimes I don't. In my most serious league it's 14 teams with a shallow bench, so handcuffing tends to burn up valuable bench spots. That said, it is a 14 team league, so the end of draft gets to being thin pickings anyways. My rule of thumb of sorts is draft for value, if the most value comes from taking a handcuff to your stud do it. If the owners in your league have a tendency to reach on handcuffs of their own and other owners, then I stock up on depth by taking lightning in a bottle upside guys. Ideally I do tend to like to not have handcuffs though because I'd rather have 5-6 RB's with a solid 2, 3-4 speculative guys hoping for one to emerge a an RB3 or Flex option. For instance, last year I spent my first two picks on Marion Barber and Ryan Grant. Instead of reaching and cuffing Felix Jones with Marion Barber (who I knew would go relatively high based on upside anyways), I reached on Darren McFadden and took flyers on Ray Rice and Steve Slaton.
B-Chad
Water Boy
Water Boy

Editor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Both handcuffing, and not handcuffing, present gambles. You're taking a risk either way; unfortunately we can't have a starting RB as our RB4 and RB5.

Hnadcuffing: very smart for certain players, such as: Westbrook, Jacobs, etc. that have a high injury risk, are in good running situations and have capable backups that will almost certainly take the majority of carries in the event of the unthinkable, but likely. Your RB2 goes down? No problem, put in his handcuff and you should see decent production out of him.

Not handcuffing: this will likely be flier picks for your bench RBs, or other people's handcuffs. This is a little more risky than going with a handcuff, because, if one of your starters goes down, you could very well have a few duds on the bench, and be screwed. There are probably about 1 out of every 5 to 10 late round RB fliers that actually become fantasy startable/relevant. I would rather have the one that will see playing time when my starter goes down, rather than creating starting position complications when someone else's corresponding starter goes down, but that's just me. I know what it's like to have more unanimous starters than open positions, and have the bench far outscore the starters by several hundred points down the stretch of the season, but on the flipside it's obviously a good thing if your situation isn't anomolous like one of mine was last year.

So, the possible outcomes of each, are:

handcuff: your starting RBs stay healthy, and you start them week to week, or they get injured, and you put in the incumbent starter in the offense.

no handcuff: your starting RBs stay healthy, and you either simply start them week to week, have a complicated decision to make every week if one or more fliers breaks out, or one or more starters gets injured, and you possibly have nobody worth while to start in their place.

Basically, IMHO, it comes down to the type of player you are. Handcuffing increases the chance you will make the playoffs and have a solid team, while not handcuffing raises the possibility your team will be weak, or very strong.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk