Pierre Thomas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pierre Thomas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Pierre Thomas

Postby mikus » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Now Thomas is expected to miss the rest of the preseason ... This could be just precautionary -- hopefully that is the case -- but now the Saints are going to take more looks at Mike Bell with the first team. Prepare yourselves accordingly.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 pm

About 4 weeks ago I had Thomas pegged as a guy who I wouldn't mind having as my RB2, but the more I think about it, the more i realize how risky that would be. He has never proven that he can be a guy to carry the rock 300 times in a season, he has major competition for reps with Bush and the emerging mike bell, and to top it off, the saints aren't a team who likes to run the ball consistantly.

Thomas in the 4th or fifth round is a risky pick IMO, and I think if you take him you better handcuff him with Bush which will cost you a 7th round pick. Not worth it. I'd rather get a guy like Ronnie Brown as my RB2.
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PuntinFool » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:He has never proven that he can be a guy to carry the rock 300 times in a season, he has major competition for reps with Bush and the emerging mike bell, and to top it off, the saints aren't a team who likes to run the ball consistantly.

I'll agree with the last 2 parts, but the first part one can say about nearly every rookie from last year. Only Matt Forte managed to run the ball more than 300 times, whereas Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson and Kevin Smith never got higher than 268. Most of the young RB class are risky in regards to 300 carries, but I will agree that the Saints are more likely to air it out than to lean on the run (aka Bears). Despite the public injury concerns, I'd still feel good about Thomas as a good RB2 along the likes of Addai during the Colts juggernaut a few years back.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 pm

PuntinFool wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:He has never proven that he can be a guy to carry the rock 300 times in a season, he has major competition for reps with Bush and the emerging mike bell, and to top it off, the saints aren't a team who likes to run the ball consistantly.

I'll agree with the last 2 parts, but the first part one can say about nearly every rookie from last year. Only Matt Forte managed to run the ball more than 300 times, whereas Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson and Kevin Smith never got higher than 268. Most of the young RB class are risky in regards to 300 carries, but I will agree that the Saints are more likely to air it out than to lean on the run (aka Bears). Despite the public injury concerns, I'd still feel good about Thomas as a good RB2 along the likes of Addai during the Colts juggernaut a few years back.

The colts run the ball more often than the saints do... and when addai had those monster years he didnt have a guy like Bush competing with him for touches. The Saints have invested alot in Reggie, and he will be used in the backfield very often. Mike Bell is another guy who will take touches away from Thomas.
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:55 pm

StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:20 am

The Saints are still a passing team and if they learned anything from the aging of Deuce, it's that losing your inside running game puts a ton of pressure elsewhere. Payton has confiidence in Thomas but also realizes the guy has never really been "the guy" for a 17-game slate. Mike Bell has shown enough this preseason to warrant playing time. Share a few carries, try to keep guys healthy...it's what the NFL has come to these days.

Thomas is still a nice guy to own but he is not worth reaching for now as he was a month ago. Expect about 200-300 yards less and 2-3 TDs less to compensate for Bell and potential injury. Probably more of nice RB3 rather than RB2 now.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kickureface » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:22 pm

agreed, pierre thomas is definitely an avoid based on the adp and drop in value
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant