Best antivirus software out there..? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Best antivirus software out there..?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best antivirus software out there..?

Postby lacunacoiler » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 am

my mcafee security center subscription will expire in less than a few days & i have no plans to renew it.. i love what mcafee has done for me with them providing me solid protection...

the only problem i have with mcafee is that it is a memory hog, but it is not as bad as norton.. its not that my comp was running slowly, but all i want is to be able to run fast like it should be..

well im not a computer savvy person which is why i got a few questions and i hope that anyone can answer all at the best they can...

1)give me the best paid-subscription antivirus software out there, and state me its pros & cons.. btw, you can also nominate mcafee if you want to.. although i am already leaning towards getting a free version, i still wana find out if any of the subscription based antivirus softwares offers the best all around service compared to the free ones...

2) give me the best free antivirus software out there.. and its pros & cons.. and also if updates regularly & free-updates.. and also state if they also have a firewall included...

3) give me the best firewall software out there... this also includes an antivirus software that has a built-in firewall in it...

4) state to me if the recommended antivirus software will be a problem on online gaming..

5) and btw, what you guys think of malwarebytes.org?? i friend of mine recommended it to me as a replacement for mcafee.. is it a combination of anitivirus, anti-trojan, antimalware, & antispyware???

btw, some specs are:
2.5ghz core2 dual processor
4gb ram
32-bit vista

and btw, i use superantispyware as my anti-spyware software...

any insights will be greatly appreciated...
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best antivirus software out there..?

Postby lacunacoiler » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:53 am

and btw,

6) whats the best anti-spyware/anti-adware out there?? pros & cons...
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:41 am

I've used McAfee and Norton but my computer guy has switched me to something called Kaspersky :-S I have no idea. But he says that it's the best and it seems to be doing the job.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 am

this thread should be pretty useful

i've been using the free Avira Anti-vir and Comodo Firewall and have had now issues (Comodo is a little annoying when installing software, you but if you tell it to go into Install mode it shuts up). i still run Spybot and Malwarebytes as well
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:01 pm

From my experience free anti virus software is worth what you pay for it.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RiffRaff » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:47 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:From my experience free anti virus software is worth what you pay for it.

And AVG and Antivir are too quality free options.

Remember to run your other other freebies for spyware and malware.

I've like zone alarm for my firewall.

No software is good unless you "Use" it. This is the biggest problem I have when I have to clean out family members computers.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby lacunacoiler » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:20 pm

lacunacoiler wrote:my mcafee security center subscription will expire in less than a few days & i have no plans to renew it.. i love what mcafee has done for me with them providing me solid protection...

the only problem i have with mcafee is that it is a memory hog, but it is not as bad as norton.. its not that my comp was running slowly, but all i want is to be able to run fast like it should be..

well im not a computer savvy person which is why i got a few questions and i hope that anyone can answer all at the best they can...

1)give me the best paid-subscription antivirus software out there, and state me its pros & cons.. btw, you can also nominate mcafee if you want to.. although i am already leaning towards getting a free version, i still wana find out if any of the subscription based antivirus softwares offers the best all around service compared to the free ones...

2) give me the best free antivirus software out there.. and its pros & cons.. and also if updates regularly & free-updates.. and also state if they also have a firewall included...

3) give me the best firewall software out there... this also includes an antivirus software that has a built-in firewall in it...

4) state to me if the recommended antivirus software will be a problem on online gaming..

5) and btw, what you guys think of malwarebytes.org?? i friend of mine recommended it to me as a replacement for mcafee.. is it a combination of anitivirus, anti-trojan, antimalware, & antispyware???

6) whats the best anti-spyware/anti-adware out there?? pros & cons...
btw, some specs are:
2.5ghz core2 dual processor
4gb ram
32-bit vista

and btw, i use superantispyware as my anti-spyware software...

any insights will be greatly appreciated...

7) and btw, i wana ask you guys if the antivirus software your pitching has real-time protection & has few false positive report, & if these AV softwares will try to fix/restore the infected file instead of just deleting/quaranteeing it..
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Manja » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:18 am

This has been brought up a few times, but here's my take, and these are all free, since I don't think the paid-antivirus programs are that much better, or in fact, this combination of free programs is the equivalent of a paid program.

For anti-virus, definitely use AVG. Regular virus definition updates, software updates, etc. All free. Doesn't take up much space, and also gives you the option of healing, quarantining, or deleting the file (though, I think those last two things are essentially the same).

For firewall, I use ZoneAlarm. Real time protection, free, effective. There is an option to do a trial (and then after, purchase) the Suite version, which also contains an anti-virus and all the junk, but it takes up a lot of memory and can end up hurting (slowing) your computer more than it helps. I wouldn't recommend buying it, as the free version works just fine. As an alternative, Comodo is a great firewall that you should use if you're running on Vista 64 bit, as Firefox seems to have a problem with Zonealarm on that OS. But you said you're using the 32 bit, so you'll be fine.

Spybot S&D, and then Ad-aware are the two programs I use to track down spyware and adware, and complement each other quite nicely, even though the programs both say they don't, as they catch things the other seems to not. Regular (frequent) definition updates, easy to use, and such.

And then as a bonus, I also Smitfraudfix, a program that can find pretty much anything. I know I once kept getting this spam pop-up in the appearance of a Windows error after accidentally clicking on a bad link, and this program was the only one that could fix it. It catches the sneakiest viruses/spyware/adware.

Looking back this post.. jeez. I use a lot of programs.

BTW, nice specs.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sox 06 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:52 pm

AVG Free Edition

Enough said

End of thread :-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I've always used Norton and AVG.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Next

Return to General Talk