Should Fitz Be The First WR Drafted? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should Fitz Be The First WR Drafted?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Should Fitz Be The First WR Drafted?

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:39 pm

2ksports wrote:
petedog9 wrote:and.... Are you comparing Moss to Jerry Rice now? Completely different WRS in styles and Moss is no where near Jerry Rice in overall talent..

Rice was about work ethic. If you are talking about pure talent, that goes to Moss.

I'll say this though, you don't really see Randy Moss take big licks. At 32, he could very well be in his prime.

I agree with this. Jerry Rice is not near as talented as Randy Moss but probably worked 10 times as hard as any receiver who's played the game. If you put Randy Moss's talent together with Jerry Rice's work ethic, you'd probably be looking at a guy who caught 20 TDs a year every year.

For me it's Moss and then Calvin and then you've got arguments for Fitz and Andre. If you are a guy going WR/WR the 2 guys to take are Moss and CJ. What's better than Daunte to Randy? How about Tom to Randy. Just remember that Randy Moss caught 11 TDs and had 1,000 yards working with a guy who hadn't started a football game at QB since high school.

And if there is one thing Daunte knows how to do, it's chuck it to that huge guy streaking down the field. You've legitimately got 2 guys who could both catch 15 TDs and have over 1,400 yards. That's RB1 top end RB1 production guys, RB1 production I feel alot better about than the actual RB1s going in the first outside of a couple guys.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm

As a Fitz owner from last season, I'm not big on Fitz this year personally. The main thing that worries me about Fitz is that 6 of his TD's (half of his 12 on the year) came in the 4 games that Boldin missed. I would be interested to see who had more redzone targets last year, Boldin or Fitz. It just seems that Boldin is Warner's favorite target in the RZ.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Luckily for me I nabbed both Moss AND Calvin Johnson. And I've got Greg Jennings as my flex. ;-D Witten's my TE. I think it's safe to say I've got the best receiving corps in my league. :-b
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Retet » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:43 am

I would be leery of taking Fitz at his current ADP -- I had him last year (and loved having him on my team), but when he played with Boldin, it just seemed like he was consistently the #2 option -- no that Fitz was bad ( he seemingly always turned in 100yds +/- TD), but it seemed like Boldin did a pinch better.

This year, I might draft Moss ahead of Fitz, but it's not like Fitz will really let you down (barring injury); it's just that his price this year might be a little steep when compared to his value.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 pm

petedog9 wrote:Heres my problem with Moss at #1.. This is WR that is a poor route runner and has relied completely on his god given speed and ability to make plays in the NFL. He has simply been faster, taller and a better leaper with superior hands. Thats how he does it and has for a long time.

I think this is a disservice to Moss. Moss also has excellent body control which I attribute to Cris Carter (personally, I think Moss should send CC half of every one of his paychecks). It's not just a matter of getting open or getting to the ball; there is an aristry in creating a legal catch and Moss has it. There have been other freakishly fast receivers enter the league since 1998, but Moss still remains at the top.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:04 pm

At the turn of a draft I just did, I went with Moss and AJ. Now that I looked back, since it was not PPR, I probably would have went with Calvin instead of AJ. I haven't been the guy to reach for Fitz in any leagues, so I guess I can't really comment on if he should be first, because at the ideal draft position for me to go WR/RB or WR/WR, he is always gone. I do know that I would be just as confident, if not more confident, going with the other three "big four" this year. The way I see it, with a healthy Boldin, these other guys simply have a higher ceiling period.

Basically, Fitz is being drafted#1 with the hopes of Boldin not being completely healthy, and Warner actually staying healthy.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby My team is injured » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:40 pm

I think some people are overlooking what free bagel brought up. Fitz was an absolute beast in the post-season last year and that moreso than any other factor is the reason he's so highly regarded this year. He was playing video game football out there, jumping seemingly 10 feet into the air multiple times in the post-season and snagging balls out of the air.

With that being said, I have Fitz #3 in my PPR rankings behind Randy and Andre. But I think some of you are short-changing his upside. An injured Boldin or not, you can't discount how he looked and what he did in the 4 playoff games last year, getting 7 total TDs and 100+ yards each game.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby 2ksports » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 pm

My team is injured wrote:I think some people are overlooking what free bagel brought up. Fitz was an absolute beast in the post-season last year and that moreso than any other factor is the reason he's so highly regarded this year. He was playing video game football out there, jumping seemingly 10 feet into the air multiple times in the post-season and snagging balls out of the air.

With that being said, I have Fitz #3 in my PPR rankings behind Randy and Andre. But I think some of you are short-changing his upside. An injured Boldin or not, you can't discount how he looked and what he did in the 4 playoff games last year, getting 7 total TDs and 100+ yards each game.

yeah i'll admit that was pretty crazy. I guess that's what makes it so interesting.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby benb18a » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:50 pm

That's why Santonio Holmes is in my top ten.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 pm

My team is injured wrote:I think some people are overlooking what free bagel brought up. Fitz was an absolute beast in the post-season last year and that moreso than any other factor is the reason he's so highly regarded this year. He was playing video game football out there, jumping seemingly 10 feet into the air multiple times in the post-season and snagging balls out of the air.

True...but great playoff play doesn't always necessarily translate into the following season. Look at how great Eli Manning played in the playoffs during their Super Bowl run and he really hasn't performed any better fantasy wise following that at all. There are other factors there and certainly Fitz has a better chance at succeeding from a fantasy standpoint than Manning but the risks that move him down people's list are still there which is why he's not #1 on alot of people's rankings around here.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk