Pre-draft trading of picks... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pre-draft trading of picks...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pre-draft trading of picks...

Postby Sex Panther » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:43 pm

This might belong in a different forum, but I think it applies here as well.

1 of the leagues I'm in (pretty decent sized money league & I happen to be commish) had the draft "lottery" today.

It's a 12 team redraft & the guy who got the first pick (good friend - I was best man @ his wedding) landed the #1.

He is actively shopping it - asking for, what in my opinion is, insane returns - #1 overall & his 10th round pick (120 overall) for a 1st and 2nd.

Now, I don't think anybody would be dumb enough to do this, but who knows - Purple Jesus carries some weight.

If somebody bites, and actually accepts this - what do I do as commish? I see it as extremely 1-sided, but technically only draft position is changing hands, no real players?

Also, what in your opinion, is reasonable for prior to draft day pick swapping?
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pre-draft trading of picks...

Postby Script-Ohio » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Someone would have to be crazy to accept that but if they do, not sure you can do anything about it. You could just post your "opinion" though like, "Yeah right dude, no one's that stupid" or something. Maybe that'll make a sucker think twice
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby 2ksports » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm

You are the commish... you can do whatever you want. IMO I don't think other ppl will stop you from vetoing that.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:47 pm

I don't know where the commish's corner has been moved to...

Anyways, I remember a program somewhere that assigned values to all a draft's picks, kinda like the real NFL. The commish just had to make certain the combined points on one side were within a certain limit of the other side's points.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby 2ksports » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:23 pm

In the league that I am in now, one guy traded away the 1st overall pick of the draft for the 7th overall pick and the 1st pick of the 5th round. The guy who got the 1st overall ended up getting a pick in the final round.

Not sure if that is fair, but it went through.

The dude who gave away 1.1 took Fitzgerald as 1.7 Thomas Jones as his 5.1. IMO AP > Fitz + Thomas Jones so I was happy.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 pm

First, in the future commish questions should go here. [url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=238}Commish's Corner[/url] so you can get more opinions from commissioners and players alike.

Second,
2ksports wrote:You are the commish... you can do whatever you want. IMO I don't think other ppl will stop you from vetoing that.

I 100% disagree with this. There is no reason that you should veto this. I am a firm believer that you should never veto a trade that is not 100% collusion. Just because you think the deal is unfair does not mean it should be vetoed. You may not think it's fair, but someone may covet ADP that much and think the trade is worth it. And trust me, the minute you start vetoing trades to "keep the league fair" is the minute the league becomes more of a problem than it's worth. Been there, seen that, and never came back to those leagues. And I hate to seem as if I'm calling 2ksports out as I've never had a problem with his posts, but never, ever, EVER!!!! take the stance of "you're the commish, you can do whatever you want". You will quickly ruin the league with an attitude like that.

No what you could do is simply post a message like Script-Ohio suggested saying "that's an insane request and no one would do it. At best I'd give you [fill in the blanks here] for the 1st overall pick". Maybe that will make other owners think that it's an over priced request as well. But if they don't and they make the offer, then you have to let it stand.

Finally, Kareighuis mentioned the program that calculates the values of draft picks (which I will add is nothing more than one man's opinion), but here is the link to that:

Football Guys Pick Value Calculator
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:03 am

i've never had any problem with draft pick trades, and i have no problem with the proposed deal as long as collusion is not involved
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk