Fred Jackson's Value - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fred Jackson's Value

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fred Jackson's Value

Postby pappymojo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:48 am

There has been discussion about Running Back hand cuff value in this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=441553

There was also a recent article that talked about Bench roster spot values.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/tips.php

I would like to propose that if healthy, Fred Jackson has some very good late round value for the astute manager.

M Lynch is suspended and is definitely going to miss the first three weeks of the season.

If he's healthy, Fred Jackson is going to be the starting running back for Buffalo in those weeks. In my opinion, this raises his value over other handcuff running backs as you know Jackson is going to start games.

Since he is going to start those games in the start of the year, he also takes up a roster spot on your team prior to NFL bye weeks. Most managers do not carry two tight ends. This means that when your tight end is on a bye week, you need to drop one of your bench players to pick up a replacement tight end. The same is often true for kickers and defenses. If your starting tight end, kicker and defense all have bye weeks on different weeks, you will luckily only need to use one roster spot on your team picking up and dropping replacement players as needed.

If you have Fred Jackson on your team, however, he makes an ideal player to drop later in the year.

If he's healthy, he will start for three weeks of the season. Once Lynch comes back, Jackson's value drops considerably. This drop in Jackson's value comes right at the time that managers may need to manage their bye weeks.

Now, I know three weeks isn't going to win you your league, especially when they come so early in the year, but having Jackson on your roster won't hurt you. And you never know what might happen in those three weeks of the season.

Anyways, just a thought. If your last round draft pick is likely to be the guy you drop from your team when you need to add bye week replacements, doesn't it make sense to have that player be someone whose value is based on the weeks before the bye weeks kick in?
'nuff said
pappymojo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fred Jackson's Value

Postby boston fan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:53 am

Yeah even though he is only starting for three games, you cannot get any running back with this much playing time in the last couple rounds. And who knows, this is traditionally a flier pick so you never know, if Jackson does good the first three weeks, buffalo will probably give Fred Jackson carries, even with Lynch there.
boston fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:16 pm

i like him...but as you said most of his value is for the 1st 3 weeks of the year, and if i've drafted properly i likely already have a RB1, RB2, RB3 and RB4 that should be good plays for those weeks, so if i'm burning a roster spot on a RB5 gamble type, i'm more likely to use it on one who i think can make an impact later in the year to help with byes or injury

i think in a PPR league Jackson has some value even with Lynch back, but he's certainly not a guy i'm reaching for and there are other "lottery tickets" as some like to call them that i fell are more roster worthy
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

In an auction league, Lynch was extremely affordable... $14 in a league where a non-suspended Lynch equivalent would have gone $38-45. In this instance, picking up Jackson for $1 toward the end (the equivalent of the last couple snake rounds) was a no brainer. He will absolutely be dropped once Lynch is back. But it will pay dividends, I suspect, as a RB3/Flex type player. That is, of course, IF he stays healthy and gets the lion's share of the touches.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk